Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
10 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gembarok  
#21 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2019 2:33:08 AM(UTC)
gembarok

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 188 time(s) in 164 post(s)
Originally Posted by: corey301 Go to Quoted Post
I'm sorry if this upsets some of you but I was only relaying what was told to me from the representative at OPM. She specifically said that there has to be a need for Interim payments (hardship) in order for recipients to obtain them. She said it is NOT automatic. I believe it after reading that many have not received Interim payments after their approval. It has to be requested.

Greetings,

It really isn't an issue of hurt feelings. If I had a dollar for every piece of erroneous info I got from the helpline or from HR folks in general over the years. I worked up until the last day of my approval and had interim payments start the next day... hardly a financial hardship. But that is a fact. Nobody is doubting what you have been told.

S/
K
icanzz  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2019 8:24:53 AM(UTC)
icanzz

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 19 post(s)
So reading the post on here, after being approved for DR 2 weeks ago July 2019...I should expect first payment between 2 weeks and 2 years? The inconsistency
in time lines are crazy.

How long before I will receive login info for OPM Retirement website?

Edited by user Tuesday, July 16, 2019 4:25:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Xavier12  
#23 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2019 10:18:41 AM(UTC)
Xavier12

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Just want to first say I got my 2nd backpay today so thought I would just update my timeline here.

Applied for Dec 2017
Received CSA# May 2018
Approved January 2019
1st Backpay February 2019
Started to receive interim pay March 2019
2nd Backpay July 2019

Those of you waiting hang in there! I know you hear a lot of horror stories in this thread but know that it can also be pretty straightforward like it was in my case.

thanks 1 user thanked Xavier12 for this useful post.
gembarok on 7/23/2019(UTC)
icanzz  
#24 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2019 10:12:35 AM(UTC)
icanzz

Approximate Timeline.

No Lawyers

March 2018. Resigned
April 2018 SSDI application ---- (did not know I was eligible to apply OPM DR)
July 2018 I was Sent to a couple CE exams paid by SSA.
October 2018 phone call from state disability determination office to update/correct forms
January 2019 Approval letter SSDI.
February 2019 received back pay and payments from SSA

February 2019 while reading article realized I could apply for OPM DR.
February 2019 shot some forms (mostly blank other than personal information) to OPM Boyers just a few weeks before 1 year deadline. (OPM rules require DR application within 1 Year of separation).
March 2019 received CSA #
April-June 2019 Navy HR working with me and OPM to get forms completed by previous employer-Navy Naples Italy. <-----(resistance)
May 2019 I sent email to ALL Navy people in Italy, HR Navy east coast, and HR Naples Italy if an IG or congressional inquiry would help get them all together on same-sheet.
June 2019 sent final Medical docs...had just completed appointment/evaluation through my healthcare providers.
July 2019 Approval letter from OPM in the mail. (regular mail)
July 2019 obviously no payments DR yet.
1 August 2019 - no payment
23 August 2019 a deposit received.
26 August 2019 received temp password for online services. And letter requesting copy of my marriage license.
27 August received OPM letter stating I have been placed in a interim payment status and Shows I received 2 months of payments and amount of fed tax taken out.
27 August mailed copy of marriage license to OPM.

Edited by user Tuesday, August 27, 2019 9:49:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Update again

wtx carrier  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2019 4:03:54 PM(UTC)
wtx carrier

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
approved in march 2019 been getting interim payments and still waiting for finalization ........hope it comes soon
taadow75  
#26 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 12:24:39 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I got the DR approval letter in the mail today. It was a total shock because I called a couple of weeks ago to ask about submitting additional evidence and was I told that my file wasn’t assigned but it was about to be. it got approved fast and I didn’t use an attorney.

Here’s my timeline:

February 2018 - Initiated DR process
March 2019 - DR packet sent to my agency’s retirement branch
May 2019 - CSA number assigned and file sent to Boyers
August 2019 - DR approved

The funny thing is that the letter said I was approved due to post laminectomy syndrome (failed back surgery syndrome) and chronic pain. I didn’t include anything regarding my back issues in the application although my neurologist mentioned my back issues in his letter because it was part of my medical history. I sent no medical documents in from my orthopedist. I have chronic pain due to chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia but those weren’t mentioned in the letter nor did they mention the intracranial hypertension, sleep apnea, hypothyroidism, and headaches that I claimed. I can only assume that it was quicker and easier to grant based on my back and chronic pain issues vs spending months researching the other stuff.
GSBS  
#27 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 3:54:39 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 323 time(s) in 281 post(s)
Originally Posted by: taadow75 Go to Quoted Post
I got the DR approval letter in the mail today. It was a total shock because I called a couple of weeks ago to ask about submitting additional evidence and was I told that my file wasn’t assigned but it was about to be. it got approved fast and I didn’t use an attorney.

Here’s my timeline:

The funny thing is that the letter said I was approved due to post laminectomy syndrome (failed back surgery syndrome) and chronic pain. I didn’t include anything regarding my back issues in the application although my neurologist mentioned my back issues in his letter because it was part of my medical history. I sent no medical documents in from my orthopedist. I have chronic pain due to chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia but those weren’t mentioned in the letter nor did they mention the intracranial hypertension, sleep apnea, hypothyroidism, and headaches that I claimed. I can only assume that it was quicker and easier to grant based on my back and chronic pain issues vs spending months researching the other stuff.
That is weird about your Laminectomy, they accessed your medical records somewhere which sounds like a HIPAA violation? I too claimed this although I had no real supporting medical evidence. We went with the Ph.D. stuff instead. My reconsideration approval letter did not list any specific issue for approval. I tell everyone what my Neurologist told me, "what are you crazy, I would never let anyone cut my neck open and rearrange my spine". Unfortunately, I hated that Doctor and needed 2 months time away from the office so I did it, big mistake. On a positive note just got back from my Chiropractor where I use all 85 Adjustment and Physical therapies. My FEHB hates me!

taadow75  
#28 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 4:04:03 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: GSBS Go to Quoted Post

Here’s my timeline:

That is weird about your Laminectomy, they accessed your medical records somewhere which sounds like a HIPAA violation? I too claimed this although I had no real supporting medical evidence. We went with the Ph.D. stuff instead. My reconsideration approval letter did not list any specific issue for approval. I tell everyone what my Neurologist told me, "what are you crazy, I would never let anyone cut my neck open and rearrange my spine". Unfortunately, I hated that Doctor and needed 2 months time away from the office so I did it, big mistake. On a positive note just got back from my Chiropractor where I use all 85 Adjustment and Physical therapies. My FEHB hates me!

I wouldn't say that it was a HIPAA violation because I sent all of the records from my neurologist in with my application and he did run some nerve studies on my back. I was still having some back pain after my back surgery. He did refer me to an orthopedic surgeon to get a 2nd opinion on my back but nothing every came of it. I was never told I had post laminectomy syndrome but it's possible it was mentioned in the records.
GSBS  
#29 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 4:31:08 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 323 time(s) in 281 post(s)

I wouldn't say that it was a HIPAA violation because I sent all of the records from my neurologist in with my application and he did run some nerve studies on my back. I was still having some back pain after my back surgery. He did refer me to an orthopedic surgeon to get a 2nd opinion on my back but nothing every came of it. I was never told I had post laminectomy syndrome but it's possible it was mentioned in the records.
Oh I got ya, you certainly don't want anyone going back in there again. If you weren't told you had this syndrome how did you know to file for D.R.? I think I read like 90% of these procedures fail. As you know for most of us all that operation does is shift the pain elsewhere. Did you ever see your operating records, shocking when you read how a Dremmel saw is used to cut through your spine, I have my surgical records as I was going to be part of a giant class lawsuit against the Medtronic Cage used in that operation. It was never approved as a Class

taadow75  
#30 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 4:46:15 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: GSBS Go to Quoted Post

Oh I got ya, you certainly don't want anyone going back in there again. If you weren't told you had this syndrome how did you know to file for D.R.? I think I read like 90% of these procedures fail. As you know for most of us all that operation does is shift the pain elsewhere. Did you ever see your operating records, shocking when you read how a Dremmel saw is used to cut through your spine, I have my surgical records as I was going to be part of a giant class lawsuit against the Medtronic Cage used in that operation. It was never approved as a Class

I filed for DR for multiple other ailments. See my first post.

I did not file DR for my back but that’s what they approved me for. That and chronic pain. I didn’t even recall having a laminectomy. I had a microdiscectomy but it’s possible that he did a laminectomy while he was in there.
icanzz  
#31 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2019 4:49:58 AM(UTC)
icanzz

Originally Posted by: icanzz Go to Quoted Post
Approximate Timeline.

No Lawyers

March 2018. Resigned
April 2018 SSDI application ---- (did not know I was eligible to apply OPM DR)
July 2018 I was Sent to a couple CE exams paid by SSA.
October 2018 phone call from state disability determination office to update/correct forms
January 2019 Approval letter SSDI.
February 2019 received back pay and payments from SSA

February 2019 while reading article realized I could apply for OPM DR.
February 2019 shot some forms (mostly blank other than personal information) to OPM Boyers just a few weeks before 1 year deadline.
March 2019 received CSA #
April-June 2019 Navy HR working with me and OPM to get forms completed by previous employer-Navy Naples Italy. <-----(resistance)
May 2019 I sent email to ALL Navy people in Italy, HR Navy east coast, and HR Naples Italy if an IG or congressional inquiry would help get them all together on same-sheet.
June 2019 sent final Medical docs...had just completed appointment/evaluation through my healthcare providers.
July 2019 Approval letter from OPM in the mail. (regular mail)
July 2019 obviously no payments DR yet.
1 August 2019 - no payment

23 August 2019 Mystery deposit this morning...to small for back-pay and a little to big for monthly interim payment...based on my calculations anyway. No letter saying it was coming---nothing. Can't even tell/ know for sure it is DR payment....bank online does not have anything about where it came from in description.

Edited by user Friday, August 23, 2019 6:32:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

icanzz  
#32 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2019 11:00:53 AM(UTC)
icanzz

23 August 2019 Mystery deposit this morning...to small for back-pay and a little to big for monthly interim payment...based on my calculations anyway. No letter saying it was coming---nothing. Can't even tell/ know for sure it is DR payment....bank online does not have anything about where it came from in description.

Called my Bank...deposit did come from "OPM Boyers". Re-Checked my math....amount is very close to my calculations for an interim payment after all. They must have used a slightly higher high 3 than i used, but it is within $50 of what I calculated.

Edited by user Friday, August 23, 2019 11:08:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

icanzz  
#33 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2019 7:06:45 AM(UTC)
icanzz

do they withhold taxes from interim payments?
gembarok  
#34 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2019 8:07:02 AM(UTC)
gembarok

Man
United States

Was thanked: 188 time(s) in 164 post(s)

Yes federal. If you told them to on your W-4 (?)

S/
K
icanzz  
#35 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2019 3:34:36 PM(UTC)
icanzz

Originally Posted by: gembarok Go to Quoted Post

S/
K

Not that I recall, just did the basic required forms to apply for OPM DR...only thing I have gotten is an approval letter and now a deposit. no other info. a W-4 may have been in forms I sent, but I can't remember. I do recall direct deposit bank info form, I didn't keep a copy of any of it.

Edited by user Saturday, August 24, 2019 3:40:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

icanzz  
#36 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2019 1:04:39 PM(UTC)
icanzz

Originally Posted by: gembarok Go to Quoted Post

S/
K

received password letter today. went online and shows $0 deducted for fed taxes. Also annuity statement shows interim amount of about 1/2 the amount received in my bank deposit. Summary of payment shows $0 paid YTD.
icanzz  
#37 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2019 6:02:52 AM(UTC)
icanzz

Correction: I did keep copy of forms. I found copy of my application forms on my laptop. On the SF 3107, I was given the option to withhold Fed Taxes or not. I chose "No".

Them asking for my marriage license... I assume I will now have to make a survivor annuity choice, I did not select any on original application forms. Guess I should go read pamphlet 3113 and consider my choices carefully...according to SF 3107. But I am going to assume that the more I want my spouse to receive after my death, the more they will deduct from my annuity now.
taadow75  
#38 Posted : Tuesday, September 3, 2019 11:00:10 AM(UTC)

So, I received my approval letter in the mail on August 16th and it was dated August 12th but my HR retirement person has yet to receive any notification. She did tell me when I originally applied that I would find out way before she would. She told me it could take up to 2 weeks AFTER I got an approval for it to get to her which I did not believe. She still hasn't received anything. I called OPM last week and they told me the letter was sent to my agency on August 14. Did anyone else's take this long?
wtx carrier  
#39 Posted : Tuesday, September 3, 2019 3:25:02 PM(UTC)
wtx carrier

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
when i got my letter from opm i called hr shared services and they didn't know anything so she told me to fax the letter to them which i did and then she told me not to go back to work if i was still working and about 20 days later a lady from hr called me and said i was official removed from the rolls and then my boss called me and said he got an email that i was removed from employment...

Edited by user Tuesday, September 3, 2019 3:37:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: spell

taadow75  
#40 Posted : Tuesday, September 3, 2019 3:33:47 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: wtx carrier Go to Quoted Post
when i got my letter from opm i called hr shared services and they didn't know anything so she yold me to fax the letter to them which i did and then she told me not to go back to work if i was still working and about 20 days later a lady from hr called me and said i was official removed from the rolls and then my boss called me and said he got an email that i was removed from employment...

It just seems weird to me. She didn't ask for a copy of my letter so I assume the letter they receive will be different from what I got. They won't set separation date until she gets the letter. I would love to just stop working until I am officially separated. I haven't even told my supervisor. I want them to be notified by my retirement branch. My management has treated me very poorly throughout this whole ordeal.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed