Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement


The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
10 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GSBS  
#41 Posted : Tuesday, September 3, 2019 5:05:30 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/9/2011(UTC)
Posts: 2,767

Thanks: 322 times
Was thanked: 321 time(s) in 279 post(s)
Originally Posted by: taadow75 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: wtx carrier Go to Quoted Post
when i got my letter from opm i called hr shared services and they didn't know anything so she yold me to fax the letter to them which i did and then she told me not to go back to work if i was still working and about 20 days later a lady from hr called me and said i was official removed from the rolls and then my boss called me and said he got an email that i was removed from employment...


It just seems weird to me. She didn't ask for a copy of my letter so I assume the letter they receive will be different from what I got. They won't set separation date until she gets the letter. I would love to just stop working until I am officially separated. I haven't even told my supervisor. I want them to be notified by my retirement branch. My management has treated me very poorly throughout this whole ordeal.
You are Retired as of August 16th. There is no punishment your uncooperative agency can administer to you if you never show up again. They could be messing with you and might take their sweet time providing OPM with the required exit paperwork. Fax your agency the letter, email them as well if you would like. Tell them it's been fun...

taadow75  
#42 Posted : Tuesday, September 3, 2019 6:04:33 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/16/2012(UTC)
Posts: 226

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GSBS Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: taadow75 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: wtx carrier Go to Quoted Post
when i got my letter from opm i called hr shared services and they didn't know anything so she yold me to fax the letter to them which i did and then she told me not to go back to work if i was still working and about 20 days later a lady from hr called me and said i was official removed from the rolls and then my boss called me and said he got an email that i was removed from employment...


It just seems weird to me. She didn't ask for a copy of my letter so I assume the letter they receive will be different from what I got. They won't set separation date until she gets the letter. I would love to just stop working until I am officially separated. I haven't even told my supervisor. I want them to be notified by my retirement branch. My management has treated me very poorly throughout this whole ordeal.
You are Retired as of August 16th. There is no punishment your uncooperative agency can administer to you if you never show up again. They could be messing with you and might take their sweet time providing OPM with the required exit paperwork. Fax your agency the letter, email them as well if you would like. Tell them it's been fun...



I don't necessarily think that's the case. I work from home everyday now so I could just sit around all day and do nothing. That's just not in my nature though. I'm still just trying to wrap my head around the fact that it was approved and approved so quickly. I even called OPM to make sure the letter wasn't sent to me by mistake!
wtx carrier  
#43 Posted : Tuesday, September 3, 2019 9:44:29 PM(UTC)
wtx carrier

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/27/2012(UTC)
Posts: 120

Thanks: 32 times
Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
As they told me you ARE retired as of the date of the letter and HR said do not work anymore after getting the letter so they can have your last day info and hr will process you out and separate you.
Hueyguy626  
#44 Posted : Wednesday, September 4, 2019 4:31:20 AM(UTC)
Hueyguy626

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/15/2019(UTC)
Posts: 4
Location: florida

Here was my 2019 experience,
I decided to retire after my last neck fusion in Dec of 2018 FYI I'm a aircraft mechanic. I started my retirement package after I returned to work I filed out my package with all the required documents and OPM received my package on 4-30-2019 I received my approval letter 9-3-2019 they mailed it on 8-29-2019 so it was almost exactly 4 months from start to finish after they received it. I'm still employed currently and working on light duty waiting for my final date of separation. my diagnosis was spondylosis and stenosis in my neck and back and fusions from C3-C7 and fusion at l4-l5. hope this helps any one wondering how long it can take if things go perfectly I did not expect it so soon.
taadow75  
#45 Posted : Wednesday, September 4, 2019 6:10:44 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/16/2012(UTC)
Posts: 226

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: wtx carrier Go to Quoted Post
As they told me you ARE retired as of the date of the letter and HR said do not work anymore after getting the letter so they can have your last day info and hr will process you out and separate you.


I just asked my retirement folks again if they had received any notification of my disability retirement and they still have not! They won't even accept my copy saying they have to received it from OPM. There is no reason why it should take this long for a letter to get from Boyers, PA to Washington, DC.

She emailed me again as I was writing this saying she was going to check with her team lead to see if she could accept my copy. She was told in the past that they couldn't accept approval letters from retirees.

I feel like I'm being held hostage now.
Sofedup  
#46 Posted : Wednesday, September 4, 2019 4:47:21 PM(UTC)
Sofedup

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/4/2017(UTC)
Posts: 142
United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
That’s total nonsense that they can’t accept a copy. We all know that NOBODY in their right mind would ever consider forging one. That would be prison time for sure. Agency’s still want to yank ex employees around just as bad as when they were our employers. Total garbage.
taadow75  
#47 Posted : Wednesday, September 4, 2019 5:22:54 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/16/2012(UTC)
Posts: 226

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sofedup Go to Quoted Post
That’s total nonsense that they can’t accept a copy. We all know that NOBODY in their right mind would ever consider forging one. That would be prison time for sure. Agency’s still want to yank ex employees around just as bad as when they were our employers. Total garbage.


I ended up call OPM again to see what's going on. I told them my agency still has not received my approval and would not accept my copy. I also asked if the letter sent to my agency would be different from the one I received and they weren't sure. They offered to mail and fax the letter to my agency so I gave them to info. This is really bothering me.
taadow75  
#48 Posted : Thursday, September 5, 2019 7:08:08 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/16/2012(UTC)
Posts: 226

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
My HR person emailed me this morning saying that she received my letter from OPM. I had to call OPM yesterday and ask them to fax it so I'm assuming she received it by fax. Now I just have to decide on a separation date on 9/14 or 9/28.
AnnaG  
#49 Posted : Thursday, September 5, 2019 8:59:06 AM(UTC)
AnnaG

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/22/2019(UTC)
Posts: 2
United States
Location: Washington DC

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: taadow75 Go to Quoted Post
My HR person emailed me this morning saying that she received my letter from OPM. I had to call OPM yesterday and ask them to fax it so I'm assuming she received it by fax. Now I just have to decide on a separation date on 9/14 or 9/28.


Does this mean your separation date is not the date stated on the letter from OPM and you can even choose your date?

Based on the latest time-lines, I should be approved by the end of December... I wonder if I can choose to separate in January, as we (feds) all should be getting 2.6% pay increase? This will increase my high 3 years of pay. Any thoughts on that how this works? Thanks!!!
GSBS  
#50 Posted : Thursday, September 5, 2019 9:41:20 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/9/2011(UTC)
Posts: 2,767

Thanks: 322 times
Was thanked: 321 time(s) in 279 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AnnaG Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: taadow75 Go to Quoted Post
My HR person emailed me this morning saying that she received my letter from OPM. I had to call OPM yesterday and ask them to fax it so I'm assuming she received it by fax. Now I just have to decide on a separation date on 9/14 or 9/28.


Does this mean your separation date is not the date stated on the letter from OPM and you can even choose your date?

Based on the latest time-lines, I should be approved by the end of December... I wonder if I can choose to separate in January, as we (feds) all should be getting 2.6% pay increase? This will increase my high 3 years of pay. Any thoughts on that how this works? Thanks!!!
Yes it doesn't work that way. The Agency is supposed to separate you in the same Pay period once they receive notice from OPM that you are retired. Not sure that 2.6% raise next year would be any benefit as your future High 3 is based on actual earnings?
thanks 1 user thanked GSBS for this useful post.
AnnaG on 9/5/2019(UTC)
Cali4Life  
#51 Posted : Thursday, September 5, 2019 10:27:51 AM(UTC)
Cali4Life

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/24/2014(UTC)
Posts: 37
United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Well I was approved in July yet i'm still waiting for my case to be assigned. Apparently it's in the development section. I thought interim payments would be payed out sooner than this but it appears like it's going to be a long wait.ugh.
taadow75  
#52 Posted : Thursday, September 5, 2019 11:02:30 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/16/2012(UTC)
Posts: 226

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GSBS Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: AnnaG Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: taadow75 Go to Quoted Post
My HR person emailed me this morning saying that she received my letter from OPM. I had to call OPM yesterday and ask them to fax it so I'm assuming she received it by fax. Now I just have to decide on a separation date on 9/14 or 9/28.


Does this mean your separation date is not the date stated on the letter from OPM and you can even choose your date?

Based on the latest time-lines, I should be approved by the end of December... I wonder if I can choose to separate in January, as we (feds) all should be getting 2.6% pay increase? This will increase my high 3 years of pay. Any thoughts on that how this works? Thanks!!!
Yes it doesn't work that way. The Agency is supposed to separate you in the same Pay period once they receive notice from OPM that you are retired. Not sure that 2.6% raise next year would be any benefit as your future High 3 is based on actual earnings?


They were gonna extend my separation to 9/28 using sick leave but I don't really have that much.
corey301  
#53 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2019 10:42:54 PM(UTC)
corey301

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/24/2015(UTC)
Posts: 47
United States
Location: Virginia

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
CALI 4 LIFE

Call and request interim payments. I was told by a representative that interim payments had to be requested due to a hardship. I wasn't given interim payments until I told them I was having a hard time with my bills.
GSBS  
#54 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2019 9:02:03 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/9/2011(UTC)
Posts: 2,767

Thanks: 322 times
Was thanked: 321 time(s) in 279 post(s)
Congratulations are always in order after a federal employee gets their claim approved for federal disability retirement from the Office of Personnel Management (OPM). But what happens next and when do I start receiving my annuity?

The OPM will initiate the payment process and notify the employing agency to retrieve last date of pay information. Upon receipt, they will begin making interim payments to the annuitant. Interim payments are generally about 80% of what they expect the full payments to be. The purpose of these payments is to immediately get some money into the hands of the annuitant while OPM calculates the exact payments and sets up the retirement for the rest of the annuitant’s life.

Once the full payments are calculated, they will replace the interim payments and make up any back pay that is owed to the annuitant. The effective date the payment begins the day following the last time the applicant was paid, either by their agency, or the OWCP.

This process can be lengthy. Once a federal disability retirement application is approved the file is moved into the “post retirement branch” at OPM along with all other non disability retirement applications. OPM is currently backlogged with applications and it may take as little as a few weeks or as long as several months before the calculations are finalized
TheRealOrange  
#55 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2019 9:52:33 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/22/2011(UTC)
Posts: 798

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 136 post(s)
Originally Posted by: corey301 Go to Quoted Post
CALI 4 LIFE

Call and request interim payments. I was told by a representative that interim payments had to be requested due to a hardship. I wasn't given interim payments until I told them I was having a hard time with my bills.

I don't know why you were told that. You do not have to have a hardship to receive interim payments. From OPM: "In most cases, as soon as we get all of your retirement records, we provide interim payments. These payments represent a portion of your final benefit and are usually made on the first business day of each month. We try to provide you with income until we finish processing your application." Perhaps if you do not fit within "most cases" and do not begin receiving your interim payment promptly after approval, there would be a reason to call. But, you should never have to prove or even assert a hardship. It's simply not a requirement.
thanks 1 user thanked TheRealOrange for this useful post.
GSBS on 9/17/2019(UTC)
Cali4Life  
#56 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2019 9:59:17 AM(UTC)
Cali4Life

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/24/2014(UTC)
Posts: 37
United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: corey301 Go to Quoted Post
CALI 4 LIFE

Call and request interim payments. I was told by a representative that interim payments had to be requested due to a hardship. I wasn't given interim payments until I told them I was having a hard time with my bills.


Yeah I called today and was told that I can't request interim payments. She also said it could take up to a year for my case to be assigned. I told her I will be calling back every week.

At what point should I get my congressman involved? Should I wait a year first? I don't want to come across as too demanding but I also don't want to get lost in the shuffle. I just want to be finalized within a reasonable time frame.
gembarok  
#57 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2019 4:26:02 AM(UTC)
gembarok

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/23/2018(UTC)
Posts: 555
Man
United States

Thanks: 37 times
Was thanked: 184 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TheRealOrange Go to Quoted Post

I don't know why you were told that. You do not have to have a hardship to receive interim payments. From OPM: "In most cases, as soon as we get all of your retirement records, we provide interim payments. These payments represent a portion of your final benefit and are usually made on the first business day of each month. We try to provide you with income until we finish processing your application." Perhaps if you do not fit within "most cases" and do not begin receiving your interim payment promptly after approval, there would be a reason to call. But, you should never have to prove or even assert a hardship. It's simply not a requirement.


Greetings,

I don't know how many different ways it can be said... I doubt OPM really cares if you can pay your bills or not. If they have all the information from you such as your attempt to apply for SSDI and all the info from your agency such as LDOP, they are going to start your interim. If two months have gone by without interim payments starting, then I would call OPM and ask what is missing. Your approval is your authorization to interim payments.

S/
K
thanks 1 user thanked gembarok for this useful post.
GSBS on 9/18/2019(UTC)
brecar  
#58 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2019 10:37:19 AM(UTC)
brecar

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/2/2018(UTC)
Posts: 6

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: wtx carrier Go to Quoted Post
approved in march 2019 been getting interim payments and still waiting for finalization ........hope it comes soon


I too was approved in Mar (late mar) and still waiting for finalization. Have you still not received yours?
Calicocat  
#59 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2019 12:03:54 PM(UTC)
Calicocat

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/27/2012(UTC)
Posts: 72

Thanks: 16 times
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I never received interim payments. LDP 3/24/2017. Approved 1/04/19. Received first annuity payment 7/10/19. So they screwed the pooch from day one on my case.
taadow75  
#60 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2019 12:07:00 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/16/2012(UTC)
Posts: 226

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Calicocat Go to Quoted Post
I never received interim payments. LDP 3/24/2017. Approved 1/04/19. Received first annuity payment 7/10/19. So they screwed the pooch from day one on my case.


Wow! This makes me nervous. My last day working was 9/13/19. I hope they don’t take months to get the interim pay started.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest (2)
10 Pages<12345>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 0.884 seconds.