Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Marie782  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2019 5:08:17 AM(UTC)
Marie782

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I got an email from my USPS informed delivery today that I have a certified letter coming in the mail tomorrow from Boyers, PA.
My application was sent in October 2018.
I received my CSA number November 20, 2018.
Everything was logged into Boyers January 16 2019.
My timeline matches other people on here that have just been approved, but everyone says their letter came by regular mail. Should I be worried because mine is certified? Should I call today to check the status? This has me nervous because it's certified.
GSBS  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2019 9:24:46 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 301 time(s) in 262 post(s)
We'll see today. Certified is usually not good
gembarok  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2019 10:35:52 AM(UTC)
gembarok

Man
United States

Was thanked: 160 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Marie782 Go to Quoted Post
Should I be worried because mine is certified? Should I call today to check the status? This has me nervous because it's certified.

Greetings,

I would call and get a status. No sense in going crazy for the next 24 hours. If you were denied, just get ready for the next round of your fight.

S/
K
riveraz  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 6, 2019 4:26:53 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Did you get approved?
Marie782  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 7, 2019 4:54:07 AM(UTC)
Marie782

Woman
United States

I'm sorry for the delay everyone. For some reason it wouldn't let me respond to any comments. But the certified letter was a disapproval letter. My lawyer told me that the case worker that I have is fairly new and she has been disapproving nearly everyone. We are going to appeal the decision, which we have to do within 30 days. My lawyer said it takes around 9 months to hear an answer for the appeal. But my federal office back me on my medical retirement, they said they could not reassign me and my doctor stated that I could not do my job any longer. My lawyer said it should have been an open and shut case, but the worker that I was assigned clearly thought otherwise. I have been off of work for almost 24 months, at least I have a great back pay check coming when I do get approved (trying to look at the bright side of things).
thanks 1 user thanked Marie782 for this useful post.
gembarok on 6/7/2019(UTC)
Cali4Life  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 7, 2019 7:15:15 AM(UTC)
Cali4Life

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Sorry to hear about the disapproval letter. Man that's terrible. Getting shut down by a noob has to be pretty annoying.
Marie782  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 7, 2019 7:18:30 AM(UTC)
Marie782

Woman
United States

It's very annoying. Especially because we knew we had all paperwork in order, the doctors statement and my job actually had my back. I've already been without pay for almost 2 years, now I have to wait longer. Hoping this process will go faster than expected with a positive ending.
GSBS  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 7, 2019 11:02:01 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Originally Posted by: GSBS Go to Quoted Post
We'll see today. Certified is usually not good
I could have sworn I replied to this yesterday, it says 16 days ago? Anyway yeah a Certified letter from OPM always seems like it contains bad news. A bright spot though, you will retool your appeal and it could be quicker than 9 months for another letter, this one hopefully not certified? These are the reasons we retain an attorney!
Sofedup  
#9 Posted : Friday, June 7, 2019 4:43:51 PM(UTC)
Sofedup

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Do you mind sharing who the lawyer was on the case?
Marie782  
#10 Posted : Friday, June 7, 2019 4:55:11 PM(UTC)
Marie782

Woman
United States

Harris Federal Law Firm
Cali4Life  
#11 Posted : Friday, June 7, 2019 9:26:24 PM(UTC)
Cali4Life

United States

Hello Marie, how much does Harris charge to represent you during an appeal? Is it any extra over the amount you originally paid. I ask because that is who is representing me.
Marie782  
#12 Posted : Saturday, June 8, 2019 4:22:49 AM(UTC)
Marie782

Woman
United States

Hey Cali, they don't charge extra for the appeal process. It's all included in your original fee. If for some reason you never get approved, they give you back everything that you've paid them.
wtx carrier  
#13 Posted : Saturday, June 8, 2019 11:39:43 AM(UTC)
wtx carrier

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I used Harris Federal also
i applied in april of 2018 and was approved in march of 2019.

Good luck on appeal
Marie782  
#14 Posted : Saturday, June 8, 2019 4:38:43 PM(UTC)
Marie782

Woman
United States

Thanks so much wtx... I will be so happy to see those approval papers.
Cali4Life  
#15 Posted : Saturday, June 8, 2019 10:27:11 PM(UTC)
Cali4Life

United States

Originally Posted by: Marie782 Go to Quoted Post
Hey Cali, they don't charge extra for the appeal process. It's all included in your original fee. If for some reason you never get approved, they give you back everything that you've paid them.

Thanks Marie. I thought it was only a portion of the total payment that they refund. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
Marie782  
#16 Posted : Sunday, June 9, 2019 3:54:59 AM(UTC)
Marie782

Woman
United States

You're welcome Cali. They pretty much "guarantee" a win, that's why they will give all of your money back if you don't get approved. Right, hopefully neither of us has to go through that though.
Chrisnav  
#17 Posted : Sunday, June 9, 2019 7:59:58 AM(UTC)
Chrisnav

United States

I recently received my certified letter in the mail..My benefits were denied because my medical documentation was all dated after my separation from my service.. However, I have all my medical records documenting my illness before my separation. It goes all the way back to 2016, my first reasonable accommodation. My question is what does the attorney do different beside just sending in the medical documents? I mean I could do that myself.. I tried calling Harris Federal Law firm several times for free consultation but no one has called me back..
GSBS  
#18 Posted : Sunday, June 9, 2019 9:49:36 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Originally Posted by: Chrisnav Go to Quoted Post
I recently received my certified letter in the mail..My benefits were denied because my medical documentation was all dated after my separation from my service.. However, I have all my medical records documenting my illness before my separation. It goes all the way back to 2016, my first reasonable accommodation. My question is what does the attorney do different beside just sending in the medical documents? I mean I could do that myself.. I tried calling Harris Federal Law firm several times for free consultation but no one has called me back..
I put together my retirement after I decided I had enough at my toxic office, done before removal and while on AWOL. I used my FEHB until it stopped working, grabbed a clinical psychologist & psychiatrist and hired an attorney. Since my agency said I was a perfect employee and never had shown any service deficiencies it was a bit of a battle. I've looked back on many stupid things I've done in my life, retaining an attorney was not one of them! Good luck with your appeal, I wouldn't do it alone and yes some attorneys have magic powers. My 'package' put together and mostly worded by my attorney was a work of art. Similar to reading my Demand letter for the Semi that crushed my former car with me inside!

Chache  
#19 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 3:16:49 AM(UTC)
Chache

Got my denial also this week, i guess i am going to try a lawyer i was denied on insufficient medical to perform job duties, i have been out of work since 3/2017
Chache  
#20 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 3:25:48 AM(UTC)
Chache

Originally Posted by: GSBS Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Chrisnav Go to Quoted Post
I put together my retirement after I decided I had enough at my toxic office, done before removal and while on AWOL. I used my FEHB until it stopped working, grabbed a clinical psychologist & psychiatrist and hired an attorney. Since my agency said I was a perfect employee and never had shown any service deficiencies it was a bit of a battle. I've looked back on many stupid things I've done in my life, retaining an attorney was not one of them! Good luck with your appeal, I wouldn't do it alone and yes some attorneys have magic powers. My 'package' put together and mostly worded by my attorney was a work of art. Similar to reading my Demand letter for the Semi that crushed my former car with me inside!

My situation seems the similiar i just couldnt find a psych because im on medicaid now so i go to a counselor at a clinic, i still go to my regular doctor any advice on lawyers

Best of luck everyone
Rss Feed  Atom Feed