Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

HHS

The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is the United States government's principal agency for protecting the health of all Americans and providing essential human services, especially for those who are least able to help themselves.

Source: www.hhs.gov/about/

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
slowpoke  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2019 7:20:22 PM(UTC)
slowpoke

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 120 time(s) in 93 post(s)
Is anyone working/worked for OIG? How do you like it? How much travel is there?
ex-military  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2019 4:30:32 AM(UTC)
ex-military

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 82 post(s)
I worked as an HHS OIG auditor for 5 years. Here is what I saw there:
1)Travel: expect to travel anywhere from 40-75%. A lot of it depends on what the office specialty is. Some offices are known for work in pharma, others in Part C, others in State programs. Every office does work across the board, but most offices have one thing they are "known' for. Mine was in pharma. I traveled everywhere from NJ to WA state. It isnt just a day or two either, expect to be gone for weeks, not days. The 40% travel was the minimum pretty much everywhere though.

2)Promotion potential: There is potential to move up, but somebody has to retire to get the chain moving. That said, there are the select few who seem to be groomed from the start for bigger things. Those folks will be first in line for any promotions. If you aren't a "golden child", expect to fighting for scraps.

3)Work: The work itself can be draining if you have any type of conscience. Many of the reimbursement rules CMS puts into effect go into effect retroactively to when the genius first came up with it. This could be years later. So now, you get to go into a small pharmacy or other facility and tell them they have been getting overpaid for the last "X" number of years, and the govt wants all the money back post haste. Essentially, you put them out of business. But when you find a State Medicaid program has been overcharging or getting too much back (often to the tune of Billions. that is with a "B"), that gets swept under the rug.

So, good luck with that. I just got to where I couldn't deal with the BS anymore. The work is interesting in that it changes with each audit, but I just got tired of the extreme crap. Good luck.
thanks 2 users thanked ex-military for this useful post.
slowpoke on 5/28/2019(UTC), AuditWorld on 5/28/2019(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed