Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability (Rehabilitation Act)

Post your thoughts and opinions here about disability-related news topics. Members can exchange their experiences and information so to help others navigate the different programs and services available.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cinnamongirl  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2019 6:05:09 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello. I am a VA employee (GS12) with eight years in service. I have a chronic medical condition and my doctor and I agreed it would be helpful for me to work four ten-hour days to have time for adequate rest and access to medical care.

I put in the request for a Reasonable Accomodation on 06 MAR 2019. I was then sent at least three more forms (one of which required a second trip to my doctor’s office) and multiple follow up emails before I finally got an answer yesterday; “No.” They are claiming no one in my department is permitted a four-day schedule because we cover “crisis” and it would place a burden on my coworkers. Their alternative is to start my workday earlier so I can finish earlier, and/or to have ergonomics assess my work station. I don’t believe any of this is relevant or accurate, and starting earlier would not be of any help. Much of my work is in the field so the ergonomics suggestions is pretty off-base.

Has anyone had experience along these lines? Is there any entity in the VA or OPM or elsewhere that might help? My concern is my health condition will deteriorate to the point that I will have to go out on disability and I am trying to avoid that, if at all possible.

Lastly, if I do go out on disability do I retain my health coverage? The irony is that I have been having to undergo a very elaborate and expensive medical work-up for this condition so I really need my health coverage more than ever.

Thanks for any information you can provide.
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2019 3:15:47 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 995 time(s) in 792 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cinnamongirl Go to Quoted Post
Hello. I am a VA employee (GS12) with eight years in service. I have a chronic medical condition and my doctor and I agreed it would be helpful for me to work four ten-hour days to have time for adequate rest and access to medical care.

I put in the request for a Reasonable Accomodation on 06 MAR 2019. I was then sent at least three more forms (one of which required a second trip to my doctor’s office) and multiple follow up emails before I finally got an answer yesterday; “No.” They are claiming no one in my department is permitted a four-day schedule because we cover “crisis” and it would place a burden on my coworkers. Their alternative is to start my workday earlier so I can finish earlier, and/or to have ergonomics assess my work station. I don’t believe any of this is relevant or accurate, and starting earlier would not be of any help. Much of my work is in the field so the ergonomics suggestions is pretty off-base.

Has anyone had experience along these lines? Is there any entity in the VA or OPM or elsewhere that might help? My concern is my health condition will deteriorate to the point that I will have to go out on disability and I am trying to avoid that, if at all possible.

Lastly, if I do go out on disability do I retain my health coverage? The irony is that I have been having to undergo a very elaborate and expensive medical work-up for this condition so I really need my health coverage more than ever.

Thanks for any information you can provide.
If you truly need the 10 hour days, then request the accommodation again and include the phrase "or a transfer to a position where I am able to do this" as part of your request. The accommodation of last resort is a transfer to another position you qualify for. That said, the position has to exist and they are not required to create a position for you.

Also, talk to your EEO office with regard to Reasonable Accommodations.

Edited by user Monday, June 3, 2019 3:16:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Rss Feed  Atom Feed