Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Workers' Compensation

The Office of Workers' Compensation Programs administers four major disability compensation programs which provide wage replacement benefits, medical treatment, vocational rehabilitation and other benefits to certain workers or their dependents who experience work-related injury or occupational disease.

Here is a forum for members to share and exchange experiences regarding to workers' compensation related issues.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
personabuena  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2019 12:54:01 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I'm a fed that suffered a traumatic injury at work several months ago. I was able to resume my regular duties a while ago, but am still receiving treatment and healing from the injury and have not yet reached MMI, but once I do, will be applying for a schedule award.

My question, if I transfer to a new federal agency for a new job, how will the job transfer impact my OWCP case (if at all)? Will transferring cause any headaches or glitches as I continue my medical treatments, and will changing agencies impact receiving and calculating my schedule award (the job I would like to move to will likely result in a promotion)? Will my new agency be on the hook for anything related to my case, or does it all stay with the injury-causing agency? Would it be easier to just stay at the agency where I was injured until I've reached MMI (but then miss out on my promotion opportunity)?

While I would like to leave the agency where I was injured due to bad memories related to the injury and general dissatisfaction with the job, I am willing to sacrifice and stick around a little longer if it means I can wrap up this case with as few complications and delays as possible (laughable, I know). However, I also do want to be able to move on from this negative experience as soon as possible and get a "fresh start" of sorts elsewhere. But I also don't want to be a burden to my new agency in any way due to my injury.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!
LeroyToliver  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2019 9:35:10 AM(UTC)
LeroyToliver

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 98 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Your current position is protected for as long as you can do it with some restrictions. Once you leave that position, many federal employers are allowed to boot you from the new position after 60 days if you are unable to perform the listed requirements for the job when you applied for it. You would need an MMI or permanent partial disability rating from your doctor to place all that on your application and make the employer aware of your partial disability BEFORE they hire you. You dont want to leave your current assignment, have someone else take that spot, move to a new one and only to lose it and be left in limbo. Are you familiar with Federal Disability Retirement? Do you know how long you have to be on OWCP before the DOL will take an MMI rating? Why not apply for that other position after you receive FDR and have a fall back plan in the event your physical limitations keep you from performing one or more of the duties for that position?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed