Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 5, 2019 11:46:53 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi guys!

Currently, I am analyst at another IC agency with an active TS/SCI clearance. Recently, I was extended a COE for a position in the DA at CIA through the open advertisement online. It seems that there has been movement recently to increase reciprocity for clearances between IC agencies, but I know that CIA has historically ignored similar guidance in favor of their own in-house process. Do you guys have any sense of whether holding an active clearance might affect the time between COE and onboarding? My impression is that CIA relishes the opportunity to reinvestigate all new hires (even when we already access their systems on a daily basis), but I didn't know if you guys had any insights into this.

Best of luck to everyone else that is currently waiting! I can't wait to serve with you all in the future.
Bacchus  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 5, 2019 12:31:10 PM(UTC)
Bacchus

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 1 post(s)
CIA has no reciprocity. They will still make you go through the whole process, regardless of your current clearance. Takes at least a year from your poly, and often longer. Not to discourage you, but be prepared for a long wait.
someoldguy  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 5, 2019 2:06:03 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 900 time(s) in 753 post(s)
There is some "reciprocity" in terms of accepting clearances from other agencies for purposes of meetings, visits, and even temporary assignments, but if you are going to be hired by CIA I'm afraid Bacchus is right.

NSA or DIA or NGA *might* accept each other's investigations but will probably want to do their own adjudication (and maybe even their own poly). But CIA does their own thing.

And as Bacchus notes, they do their own thing at their own pace.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
WanttobeFed  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 5, 2019 4:35:45 PM(UTC)
WanttobeFed

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 3 post(s)
51319 Here is my Story
Clearance for TS with FSP as a contractor
Started 3/2016
Poly 1 /17
Meanwhile accepted a Civilian Fed position in 2/17
Clearance approved 5/17 for a Contractor position

Applied for Full time :12/17
COE and paperwork submitted :12/17
Medical and Psych evaluation :08/18
Waiting for FJO as I continue to be a FED in a civilian agency

Bottom line I been in some clearance process since 3/16 and no reciprocity within CIA approved clearance itself ...only relief no poly again for second time processing !!

Edited by user Wednesday, June 5, 2019 4:38:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

PERSEC  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 7, 2019 3:53:43 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
As of this year there is a level of reciprocity from the DoD, due to the backlog. They will take your current clearance and do an investigation for the time gap in between when the clearance at DoD was granted until now, and then anything else they want to run down that maybe the previous clearance didnt explore fully.

Unless your DoD clearance was granted this year, dont expect an abbreviated timeline, but yes there IS reciprocity. It was directed by the DNI that all agencies will start extending some sort of reciprocity in most circumstances
Bacchus  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2019 3:08:36 PM(UTC)
Bacchus

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Oh they will use the information gathered in your previous SSBI, and it is also true DNI wants agencies to take eachother's clearances and standardize. CIA just... doesn't follow DNI guidelines. I can tell you for certain, having a TS/SCI will not make your CIA clearance happen any faster.
buckaneers  
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2019 8:02:02 AM(UTC)
buckaneers

United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 192 post(s)
My opinion, stay in the DoD and remain entrenched until retirement. Security clearances are heavily politicized these days and people will increasingly come under the microscope as the USG tries to reform the process. Use any and all means to protect your status if it's ever threatened. Lawyer up, write your Congressman, make noise, do whatever it takes. Most three letter agencies (including a couple DoD ones) are notoriously picky when it comes to adjudication even if you have already worked in sensitive positions for years.

Edited by user Saturday, June 15, 2019 9:54:44 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

PERSEC  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2019 1:56:08 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Bacchus Go to Quoted Post
Oh they will use the information gathered in your previous SSBI, and it is also true DNI wants agencies to take eachother's clearances and standardize. CIA just... doesn't follow DNI guidelines. I can tell you for certain, having a TS/SCI will not make your CIA clearance happen any faster.

Certainly sped up mine quite a bit, almost exactly how about how much the recruiter said it would.
Yal2015  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 9, 2019 5:55:52 AM(UTC)
Yal2015

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PERSEC Go to Quoted Post
As of this year there is a level of reciprocity from the DoD, due to the backlog. They will take your current clearance and do an investigation for the time gap in between when the clearance at DoD was granted until now, and then anything else they want to run down that maybe the previous clearance didnt explore fully.

Unless your DoD clearance was granted this year, dont expect an abbreviated timeline, but yes there IS reciprocity. It was directed by the DNI that all agencies will start extending some sort of reciprocity in most circumstances

Do you know if this applies to clearance upgrades as well? I have a secret from DoD (adjudicated late 2016) and was told my upgrade was initiated last November. This is for a contractor position with the CIA though. Ploy done in January this year. The reason i'm asking is because it has been radio silence since the poly.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed