Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jefsboys  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 2:53:03 AM(UTC)
jefsboys

Groups: Registered
United States

I have two great opportunities on the table.
1. OCONUS contracting opportunity making a very very nice salary for a year (1 year contract). This would be a very nice feather in my hat for my career field also.
2. Just got referred for a GS-12, which I have a very very good chance at if I follow up with an interview. (this position is where I presently work so I know I have a really good opportunity at it)

I have been trying to break into a GS position for a couple of years and now as the opportunity is here, of course I have the competing option.

I am mid-career.

I realize this is just a decision I need to make, but am wondering if I can get some wise thought on possibly passing a GS opportunity that is presenting itself now in hopes that I could get a similar GS opportunity in a year after the contracting job.

I already have the OCONUS opportunity sealed up also, just waiting on a couple of administrative details.

Thanks in advance.
GWPDA  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 5:57:45 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 404 post(s)
It is known that every federal agency is now under pressure to cut civilian positions for the next year. Whether that is by attrition or simply not hiring depends on the agency. The cuts in DOD are supposed to run as high as 20%. It's a real threat to consider in the long term, which in this case is not very long.
djp  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 9:34:10 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 120 post(s)
1 yr term position doesn’t get you in the fed door...
cyberfx1024  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 4:55:10 PM(UTC)
cyberfx1024

United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 46 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GWPDA Go to Quoted Post
It is known that every federal agency is now under pressure to cut civilian positions for the next year. Whether that is by attrition or simply not hiring depends on the agency. The cuts in DOD are supposed to run as high as 20%. It's a real threat to consider in the long term, which in this case is not very long.

I can second this as well. We are definitely understaffed where I am at right now with no spots opening up in sight. This is not mentioning the fact that we can not even get hardly any training approved at all due to funding cuts. We have a individual who has had training scheduled every month since February on a program she needs to do her job and it keeps getting funded then pulled back. She is told now that she can expect to go in September but she isn't holding her breath.
nembamike  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 11, 2019 3:14:01 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 207 time(s) in 186 post(s)
And don't assume the GS-12 job is yours for the taking.
jefsboys  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2019 8:33:28 AM(UTC)
jefsboys

United States

Thanks for all the positive feedback. :)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed