Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Retirees

For those approaching retirement as well as the currently already retired, here is a forum to share ideas and thoughts and exchange questions and answers.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

To maximize your retirement, we also suggest you read "Retired Federal Employees Almanac".

(Reminder: soliciting of services is not allowed on this site.)

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Maverick  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2019 4:30:28 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi. I am within 3 years of the max service time for CSRS employees which I believe is around 42 years. I've been healthy through my career and rarely use sick, so I have about 14 months of sick leave.

Does anyone know if I stay and reach the 42 years service, 3 years from now, would my sick leave push my service time beyond the 42 years? In other words, will my sick leave still help me financially upon retirement, even after I max out in service time?

Or would I need to retire before I reach the maximum time, in order for my sick leave to help me?

Edited by user Monday, June 17, 2019 4:31:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

old fed  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2019 7:50:05 AM(UTC)
old fed

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 55 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Maverick Go to Quoted Post
Hi. I am within 3 years of the max service time for CSRS employees which I believe is around 42 years. I've been healthy through my career and rarely use sick, so I have about 14 months of sick leave.

Does anyone know if I stay and reach the 42 years service, 3 years from now, would my sick leave push my service time beyond the 42 years? In other words, will my sick leave still help me financially upon retirement, even after I max out in service time?

Or would I need to retire before I reach the maximum time, in order for my sick leave to help me?

https://www.fedsmith.com...irement-contributions-2/

"(NOTE: any unused sick leave you have accrued can add to your length of service for pension computation purposes, resulting in a pension that is actually higher than 80% of your high-three)."

i don't THINK anything has changed in this regard.
Maverick  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2019 3:12:51 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks, it's good to know that I can stay 42 years (if I stay that long) and still get extra credit for my sick leave.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed