Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Retirees

For those approaching retirement as well as the currently already retired, here is a forum to share ideas and thoughts and exchange questions and answers.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

To maximize your retirement, we also suggest you read "Retired Federal Employees Almanac".

(Reminder: soliciting of services is not allowed on this site.)

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mac86  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 23, 2019 12:01:01 PM(UTC)
Mac86

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
OPM's web site offers something called a Federal Employee Retirement Card. Someone referenced it in a different post as a good thing to have in retirement, but did not explain why it was a good thing. Exactly what benefits does the card provide me that I can't get through my AARP card or AAA card (as far as discounts go)? I'm retiring this summer from DOL. Thank you for any information you can share.
postalvet  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2019 2:47:18 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2855 time(s) in 2253 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mac86 Go to Quoted Post
OPM's web site offers something called a Federal Employee Retirement Card. Someone referenced it in a different post as a good thing to have in retirement, but did not explain why it was a good thing. Exactly what benefits does the card provide me that I can't get through my AARP card or AAA card (as far as discounts go)? I'm retiring this summer from DOL. Thank you for any information you can share.

been retired 10 years and have never used the card.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
Bureaucratic  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2019 3:15:13 PM(UTC)
Bureaucratic

Location: I could tell you, but then I'd have to...you know...

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
In New York City that card plus $2.75 gets you into the subway or onto a bus.

Seriously though, it's not a 'Retirement Card' but a 'Reference Card'. It shows your name, CSA number, and the various ways to contact OPM.
Mac86  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2019 3:49:36 PM(UTC)
Mac86

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks for the replies. For a brief shining moment I was hoping for a nice hotel discount or a few bucks off Disney tickets.
hzmt22193  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2019 2:39:32 AM(UTC)

If you had retired from DOD, you can get a retire CAC card. Same ID card, minus the computer PKI certs. And that would get you a discount to Disney. I use mine at MWR for discounted tickets.
RVRGRL  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2019 4:22:32 AM(UTC)
RVRGRL

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
If you retire DoD: You can also use it to get on base and use the base campgrounds and other MWR activities (unless prohibited by that particular Installation Commander--usually specific and may change per each new CC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed