Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ladybee27  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2019 1:49:44 PM(UTC)
ladybee27

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
So today I was was informed unofficially that I didnt do well on my poly, which honestly I'm disappointed about, especially since I know that I was honest and forthcoming about everything­čÖü. In the past I know people were allowed to appeal the poly for a retest.. but I was also informed as of March 2019 they no longer grant appeals. Anyone know why?
FknLeon  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 5:24:30 PM(UTC)
FknLeon

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
What you should be asking / finding out is if it disqualifies you permanently. The website doesn't list failing the polygraph as a disqualifier but the Special Agency Selection Process guide does.

From the Guide: "Previously failed the FBI polygraph examination or was disqualified for employment with the FBI during a background investigation"

So the question is, which one is it? Is the website correct or the guide?
A.S. Criminal Justice - Law Enforcement
B.S. Security & Risk Analysis - Information and Cyber Security
FBI_Prospect  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2019 2:38:22 PM(UTC)
FBI_Prospect

United States

Where did you hear that they no longer grant polygraph appeals ? I was never aware of this alleged policy change.
The polygraph appeals timeline is pretty well established and many candidates on here are in the process of appealing their polygraph results, whether or not they are willing to publicly acknowledge it,since the failure rate is so high (40-50%), any additional information on this opaque process is definitely welcome.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 26, 2019 2:39:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked FBI_Prospect for this useful post.
BudgetRyder on 6/26/2019(UTC)
ladybee27  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2019 7:21:14 PM(UTC)
ladybee27

I took my poly May 17, 2019, didnt hear anything. I reached out to my investigator a few days ago, he instructed me to reach out to HR. The individual from HR got back me by email..stated that she reached out to FBIHQ, that I didnt do well on my poly and should be receiving notice in the mail within the next few weeks. In her email she also stated that as of March of 2019 appeals are no longer granted.

Edited by user Thursday, June 27, 2019 10:32:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked ladybee27 for this useful post.
George Maschke on 6/27/2019(UTC)
George Maschke  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2019 10:07:13 PM(UTC)
George Maschke

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ladybee27 Go to Quoted Post
So today I was was informed unofficially that I didnt do well on my poly, which honestly I'm disappointed about, especially since I know that I was honest and forthcoming about everything­čÖü. In the past I know people were allowed to appeal the poly for a retest.. but I was also informed as of March 2019 they no longer grant appeals. Anyone know why?

Note that FBI "re-tests" have always been a sham, intended to create only the appearance of fairness.

Edited by user Thursday, June 27, 2019 10:18:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Signal/WhatsApp/Snapchat/Telegram/iMessage: +1-202-810-2105
George Maschke  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2019 10:13:17 PM(UTC)
George Maschke

I took my poly May 19, 2019, didnt hear anything. I reached out to my investigator a few days ago, he instructed me to reach out to HR. The individual from HR got back me by email..stated that she reached out to FBIHQ, that I didnt do well on my poly and should be receiving notice in the mail within the next few weeks. In her email she also stated that as of March of 2019 appeals are no longer granted.

Assuming you answered the relevant questions truthfully, and the letter you receive states that your polygraph results were "not within acceptable parameters," you will want to send the FBI a letter contesting the polygraph results. This will document the fact that you don't silently accept the polygraph operator's accusation that you lied. See Chapter 5 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector for more on how to mitigate the career harm that failing the polygraph will cause.
ladybee27  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2019 12:57:40 PM(UTC)
ladybee27

Originally Posted by: George Maschke Go to Quoted Post
I took my poly May 19, 2019, didnt hear anything. I reached out to my investigator a few days ago, he instructed me to reach out to HR. The individual from HR got back me by email..stated that she reached out to FBIHQ, that I didnt do well on my poly and should be receiving notice in the mail within the next few weeks. In her email she also stated that as of March of 2019 appeals are no longer granted.

Assuming you answered the relevant questions truthfully, and the letter you receive states that your polygraph results were "not within acceptable parameters," you will want to send the FBI a letter contesting the polygraph results. This will document the fact that you don't silently accept the polygraph operator's accusation that you lied. See Chapter 5 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector for more on how to mitigate the career harm that failing the polygraph will cause.

I havent gotten my letter yet, I was informed via email by my HR POC after requesting an update.
FBI_Prospect  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 6:20:51 AM(UTC)
FBI_Prospect

United States

I can now personally confirm that the FBI polygraph "appeals process" is nothing more than a sham. One that the FBI are allegedly doing away with moving forward.
Long story, short...I had to reach out to my local office about the status of my appeal after not hearing anything from them for over a year.
I received a reply saying they had allegedly sent a letter with a final appeal denial months ago...needless to say I didn't receive anything in the mail and was thoroughly dejected at their decision. This whole application process turned out to be nothing but a huge waste of my time and effort and it's easily the most negative "hiring" experience to date, doubly so in light of having breezed through all portions of the application process, from the Phase I exam to PFT (scoring 16 points on first attempt). It goes to show the FBI are throwing away quality candidates in favor of folks with limited life experience, no travel history and little relevant exposure to the 'real world', and all based on a glorified toaster with a blood monitor attached to it. Unfortunately for the FBI, it does reflect on the organization as a whole, cue any of the countless negative headlines and debacles from the last few years as proof. Anyways it's best to move on, and to the countless other lurkers on this forum who are in the same boat, I wish you all best of luck...Onward and Upwards.
George Maschke  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 6:57:18 AM(UTC)
George Maschke

Originally Posted by: FBI_Prospect Go to Quoted Post
I can now personally confirm that the FBI polygraph "appeals process" is nothing more than a sham. One that the FBI are allegedly doing away with moving forward.
Long story, short...I had to reach out to my local office about the status of my appeal after not hearing anything from them for over a year.
I received a reply saying they had allegedly sent a letter with a final appeal denial months ago...needless to say I didn't receive anything in the mail and was thoroughly dejected at their decision. This whole application process turned out to be nothing but a huge waste of my time and effort and it's easily the most negative "hiring" experience to date, doubly so in light of having breezed through all portions of the application process, from the Phase I exam to PFT (scoring 16 points on first attempt). It goes to show the FBI are throwing away quality candidates in favor of folks with limited life experience, no travel history and little relevant exposure to the 'real world', and all based on a glorified toaster with a blood monitor attached to it. Unfortunately for the FBI, it does reflect on the organization as a whole, cue any of the countless negative headlines and debacles from the last few years as proof. Anyways it's best to move on, and to the countless other lurkers on this forum who are in the same boat, I wish you all best of luck...Onward and Upwards.

If you would be willing to contribute a public statement about your FBI polygraph, I would be happy to include it on AntiPolygraph.org:

https://antipolygraph.org/statements.shtml

The third statement on the above-linked page is my own.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed