Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
daddythedonkey  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 2:30:58 AM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Got a tentative offer with in a deadline to accept. I am trying to get clarification on what my pay will be. If I accept the tentative offer before getting that clarification because of the deadline, but later do not accept the final offer because the pay will not be sufficient -- how bad would it be to do something like that? Want the job but need a certain amount of salary. Don't want to ruin my chances with the agency later on.
Green121  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 3:11:46 AM(UTC)
Green121

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
The tentative offer doesn't list a GS/Step level?. What was the position/posting you applied for?
daddythedonkey  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 3:40:10 AM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Originally Posted by: Green121 Go to Quoted Post
The tentative offer doesn't list a GS/Step level?. What was the position/posting you applied for?

The offer does list a GS and step. It also says that it was based on the SF-50 I provided, but the pay doesn't match the pay I was making -- it actually goes down. So the first thing is that I'm not sure if that was done correctly. They also ask for proof of a higher federal salary if the documentation submitted with the application doesn't reflect that, implying that they would adjust the salary if I have held a higher rate. And I have since applying.
Green121  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 3:49:16 AM(UTC)
Green121

United States

What are the GS/Step level? What was your previous GS/Step level? What type of posting was this, external/internal? Where do you reside? Also this is tentative remember the final offer should states everything correctly.

Edited by user Tuesday, June 25, 2019 3:54:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DaVinci95  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 4:36:03 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Accept the tentative offer, then discuss pay setting with HR. You can always back out.

If it is a lateral move, you transfer at the same grade and step. If you are changing locations, the difference in locality could mean a decrease in salary.
daddythedonkey  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 5:07:13 AM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

What are the GS/Step level? What was your previous GS/Step level? What type of posting was this, external/internal? Where do you reside? Also this is tentative remember the final offer should states everything correctly.

I'm actually moving down from a 7 to 6. It was an external posting, but based on the tentative offer not being step 1, they've obviously taken my current federal pay into account. I was told by my current agency's HR that a move down would get you the step closest in pay to your current pay and that it might even be a little higher because it can't be less. That's why I'm questioning the step they've given me in the tentative offer.
daddythedonkey  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 5:10:32 AM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Originally Posted by: DaVinci95 Go to Quoted Post
Accept the tentative offer, then discuss pay setting with HR. You can always back out.

If it is a lateral move, you transfer at the same grade and step. If you are changing locations, the difference in locality could mean a decrease in salary.

So backing out isn't unheard of and wouldn't potentially be held against me if I got a tentative offer from the same agency at a later date?

I've taken the locality pay into account. I don't think that explains the lower pay. I looked at gs 7 step 2 for their locality and the gs 6 step that they're offering me lower than that.
Green121  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 5:25:34 AM(UTC)
Green121

United States

I would accept the offer and tell them to increase your step on the final offer. You won't be penalized for backing out.

Edited by user Tuesday, June 25, 2019 5:26:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

daddythedonkey  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 5:41:50 AM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

I would accept the offer and tell them to increase your step on the final offer. You won't be penalized for backing out.

Sage advice. Good to know. Thank you, sir
DaVinci95  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 9:20:51 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Originally Posted by: daddythedonkey Go to Quoted Post

I'm actually moving down from a 7 to 6. It was an external posting, but based on the tentative offer not being step 1, they've obviously taken my current federal pay into account. I was told by my current agency's HR that a move down would get you the step closest in pay to your current pay and that it might even be a little higher because it can't be less. That's why I'm questioning the step they've given me in the tentative offer.

What your HR told you isn't correct. A voluntary demotion doesn't require pay retention by the gaining agency. They can start you back at step 1. Since they didn't, ask them to explain how they determined your pay (after you accept the TO).

Backing out after accepting a TO may sour your chances in the future with that particular hiring manager, but you won't be put on an agency-wide blackball list.
Jaybee  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 10:46:01 AM(UTC)
Jaybee

No, it's quite common for people to back out. Depending on how bad they need to fill that position cam also determine if they will meet your salary demands. I am not HR but I worked a year in the same office space they did and learned a great deal as far as how they operate. I have heard them go to bat in certain situations for higher salary.
daddythedonkey  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 11:05:20 AM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Originally Posted by: DaVinci95 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: daddythedonkey Go to Quoted Post

What your HR told you isn't correct. A voluntary demotion doesn't require pay retention by the gaining agency. They can start you back at step 1. Since they didn't, ask them to explain how they determined your pay (after you accept the TO).

Backing out after accepting a TO may sour your chances in the future with that particular hiring manager, but you won't be put on an agency-wide blackball list.

Good info as well. So the step they gave me is essentially a courtesy, possibly an attempt to entice me to accept the position? But I can negotiate when the final offer comes.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed