Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lakid20  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2019 7:55:27 AM(UTC)
lakid20

Groups: Registered
United States

I need some guidance on GS levels. I recently accepted a position with USCIS to be an Immigration Services Officer (ISO2) at GS Level 9, step 1. I live in Los Angeles https://www.federalpay.org/gs/locality/los-angeles (locality pay). I have a Master's Degree in Public Administration. I am leaving the nonprofit sector to take this job (my current salary mid 80s). However, I am currently working 65+ hours a week and my work-life balance is terrible. My friend works for USCIS and told me this would be a much better fit for me.

My question is...I was hired through the Recent Graduate Program. When I first applied, it appeared that I would be an ISO1 but during the interview process I was told I would be an ISO2 (more responsibilities) and after a year of participating in the program, my position can be converted (based on performance). On the job posting, it says that this job has a GS 12 potential promotion. My biggest concern is that when I finished my first year, I would be converted to the same GS level (GS level 9)? I'm assuming based on reading from other people that I should be considered for GS 11 after one year at GS 9? The way I was seeing the GS Levels, I was thinking my first year I would be at (GS9), second year of successfully converting (GS11), and third year (GS 12)...and since this is max for this position, I would then be going through the steps at GS 12?

I have a state interview coming up and the starting pay for that job is 78k (more in line to where I am and directly related to the work I am currently doing in the nonprofit section) but it caps at $98k. The ISO2 job caps at $110k. I can then apply for supervisory positions. When comparing benefits (federal vs state), the state has better benefits (higher pension and lower share of cost for health insurance, etc). However, with the federal govt I can move anywhere in the country (and I do want to leave California at some point to afford a home, etc).

Please give me some guidance on the GS level. I would really appreciate it.
FrankJr  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2019 11:45:40 AM(UTC)
FrankJr

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 103 post(s)
Originally Posted by: lakid20 Go to Quoted Post
I need some guidance on GS levels. I recently accepted a position with USCIS to be an Immigration Services Officer (ISO2) at GS Level 9, step 1. I live in Los Angeles https://www.federalpay.org/gs/locality/los-angeles (locality pay). I have a Master's Degree in Public Administration. I am leaving the nonprofit sector to take this job (my current salary mid 80s). However, I am currently working 65+ hours a week and my work-life balance is terrible. My friend works for USCIS and told me this would be a much better fit for me.

My question is...I was hired through the Recent Graduate Program. When I first applied, it appeared that I would be an ISO1 but during the interview process I was told I would be an ISO2 (more responsibilities) and after a year of participating in the program, my position can be converted (based on performance). On the job posting, it says that this job has a GS 12 potential promotion. My biggest concern is that when I finished my first year, I would be converted to the same GS level (GS level 9)? I'm assuming based on reading from other people that I should be considered for GS 11 after one year at GS 9? The way I was seeing the GS Levels, I was thinking my first year I would be at (GS9), second year of successfully converting (GS11), and third year (GS 12)...and since this is max for this position, I would then be going through the steps at GS 12?

I have a state interview coming up and the starting pay for that job is 78k (more in line to where I am and directly related to the work I am currently doing in the nonprofit section) but it caps at $98k. The ISO2 job caps at $110k. I can then apply for supervisory positions. When comparing benefits (federal vs state), the state has better benefits (higher pension and lower share of cost for health insurance, etc). However, with the federal govt I can move anywhere in the country (and I do want to leave California at some point to afford a home, etc).

Please give me some guidance on the GS level. I would really appreciate it.

"accepted a position with USCIS to be an Immigration Services Officer"

Better to seek guidance on how to be a valued ISO...

Career tenure at three years presents an opportunity to pursue other options in the federal government; in the interim, focus on the ISO job.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed