Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Workers' Compensation

The Office of Workers' Compensation Programs administers four major disability compensation programs which provide wage replacement benefits, medical treatment, vocational rehabilitation and other benefits to certain workers or their dependents who experience work-related injury or occupational disease.

Here is a forum for members to share and exchange experiences regarding to workers' compensation related issues.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
figtree  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2019 2:37:32 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I’ve had the misfortune of sustaining multiple injuries in my previous job over the past 10 years.
Finally, it got to the point where I had to go on SS disability and retired my position with my agency.
Through all my surgeries, authorization always came from DOL OWCP....until now.
I need one more surgery for an accepted condition and have been trying to get authorization for nearly one year. I’ve recently been seen x2 by their IME (same one x2). I requested a copy of his reports and only received one in which he said I could work 2 hrs/day. (???)
Now, my former agency has sent a letter authorizing the surgery and contacted me and my Dr. For a date.
Why is my former agency the one providing surgical authorization and not the OWCP?
Must I have this surgery within the time frame they prescribed? I have had 3 major surgeries in the past year and honestly don’t think I can tolerate another one so soon!
Thanks
edalder  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 06, 2019 11:35:46 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 189 time(s) in 164 post(s)
You are never required to have any surgery.

Your former agency "pays for you". (OWCP does not print money. OWCP bills Federal agencies for all costs of care and for all OWCP monetary benefits paid to you, with very limited exceptions.)

If you can only work two hours a day, OWCP will "write you off" as a Rehab candidate.

I am not sure about this "agency authorization". It is possible that OWCP did authorize the surgery and the agency is relying upon an OWCP authorization that may be present in Agency Query System or equivalent system. I would contact OWCP about this one. You also may be able to check OWCP authorizations online at the appropriate website.
Kivi
figtree  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 06, 2019 2:24:09 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks edalder!
Did check OWCP auth site...nothing there. That’s why I thought it strange to get auth letter from my agency. I did know the agency pays, but, as I said...never got an auth from them before. Will put a call in to Claims Rep.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed