Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability (Rehabilitation Act)

Post your thoughts and opinions here about disability-related news topics. Members can exchange their experiences and information so to help others navigate the different programs and services available.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Former Lee Warmer  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 5, 2019 5:28:21 PM(UTC)
Former Lee Warmer

Groups: Registered
United States

Does the Schedule A letter need to specify which of the 3 broad categories of "severe physical, psychiatric, or intellectual disability" the person has? I was under the impression it does not. My doctor may have never written one before and keeps including more specific information than I think is necessary. I gave him the exact wording to use but he still trimmed it back so that the letter states which category I fall into.
TheRealOrange  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2019 5:50:29 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 137 time(s) in 119 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Former Lee Warmer Go to Quoted Post
Does the Schedule A letter need to specify which of the 3 broad categories of "severe physical, psychiatric, or intellectual disability" the person has? I was under the impression it does not. My doctor may have never written one before and keeps including more specific information than I think is necessary. I gave him the exact wording to use but he still trimmed it back so that the letter states which category I fall into.

As a general rule, I don't think the documentation needs to note the specific disability category, but it really is up to the health care provider and whatever language he/she is comfortable with. The EEOC guidance is that you will be required to submit documentation that proves you have an intellectual disability, severe physical disability, or psychiatric disability. The documentation is used simply to let the agency know that you are eligible to apply using Schedule A, and obviously the exact disability does not need to be listed. Note, however, that while the specific disability category may not be required, the EEOC cautions that some agencies may request additional documentation as proof of disability. In your situation, it seems to come down to the comfort level of the health care provider and the wording he/she prefers.
habu987  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2019 7:03:12 AM(UTC)
habu987

United States

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Former Lee Warmer Go to Quoted Post

I'm on the second version of my Schedule A letter. The first one stated the specific disability and I used it in my applications from 2016-2018. This year, however, I had two HR POCs at different agencies tell me that their rules required that the Schedule A letter state that you are "an individual with a severe physical, psychiatric, or intellectual disability" rather than listing the specific disability or even just the category of disability. I had my doctor update the wording and have used it for the past few months of Schedule A applications.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed