Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WanttoComeBack  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 9, 2019 1:46:14 PM(UTC)
WanttoComeBack

Groups: Registered

I have a question regarding returning to federal service after leaving to take a job in the private sector. When I left I was a GS-13 step 4 and took a promotion that is the equivalent of a GS-14 outside of government. After two years working in the private sector, I recently applied to a GS-15 job, but was told I was not qualified because it was a merit promotion posting and my GS-14 experience must be with the federal government in order to be considered.

First, I'm wondering if this is correct. If so, would I be eligible for a GS-14 position under a merit promotion posting, or only jobs equivalent to my former grade? Am I only eligible for GS-15 positions that are open the the public, then?

Thanks for your responses.
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2019 3:11:34 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 990 time(s) in 787 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WanttoComeBack Go to Quoted Post
I have a question regarding returning to federal service after leaving to take a job in the private sector. When I left I was a GS-13 step 4 and took a promotion that is the equivalent of a GS-14 outside of government. After two years working in the private sector, I recently applied to a GS-15 job, but was told I was not qualified because it was a merit promotion posting and my GS-14 experience must be with the federal government in order to be considered.

First, I'm wondering if this is correct. If so, would I be eligible for a GS-14 position under a merit promotion posting, or only jobs equivalent to my former grade? Am I only eligible for GS-15 positions that are open the the public, then?

Thanks for your responses.
merit promotion...got to use your previous grade as the starting point...so GS-14 only as you were GS13 when you left. Open to the public...your prior grade is not the driver, only your experience.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
HR Bubba  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2019 6:47:57 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 193 post(s)
Wow, completely not true! ALL experience is potentially creditable, it does not matter if it is a Merit Promotion or a Delegated Examining announcement. Since it appears that you were out of federal service for at least 2 years then time in grade rules do not apply to you. The only issue may be whether or not they credit your non federal experience at a sufficient grade equivalency. If what they are telling you was true then no VEOA/schedule A/VRA eligible would ever be found qualified on a Merit announcement. I would request a second review of the qualification determination, if they stick with their answer, pose the question about VEOA/Schedule A/VRA candidates that I mentioned and see what they say. If they still stick with that answer, I would look to file some sort of a grievance with agency.
HR Bubba  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2019 6:50:52 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 193 post(s)
Also, Frank is a little off on his interpretation. If I were to use reinstatement eligibility to "non-competitively" appoint you then I would be limited to the grade from which you left federal service. However, if you are applying to an announcement and reinstatement eligibility is included in the area of consideration, then you can be considered for any grade for which you qualify.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed