Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jakeabambo  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 9, 2019 3:44:04 PM(UTC)
Jakeabambo

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

I tried exhausting all the pervious conversations on here before I posted my own question/thread, but I have only found specific scenarios that do not answer what I need.

I am curious if anyone has got their PhD while working federally and did it benefit their current position or open doors to higher positions?

Also, I work under the Department of the Navy and seen they have the AWTAP program. The thing is though, they will only pay up to your masters degree. Does anyone know if there is a way to get some of your PhD studies paid for through another program?

V/R
GWPDA  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 9, 2019 6:12:24 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 496 time(s) in 414 post(s)
A doctorate in what field?
Jakeabambo  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 9, 2019 6:33:30 PM(UTC)
Jakeabambo

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: GWPDA Go to Quoted Post
A doctorate in what field?

My apologies: Computer Science.
GWPDA  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 9, 2019 8:23:34 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 496 time(s) in 414 post(s)
Check out ORISE and see if they have any accomodations. https://orise.orau.gov/

thanks 1 user thanked GWPDA for this useful post.
Jakeabambo on 7/10/2019(UTC)
RVRGRL  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 9, 2019 9:45:50 PM(UTC)
RVRGRL

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I'm still considering a doctorate myself, while it would help my job opportunities, it wouldn't necessarily mean a promotion--at least for me....

ORISE may be your best bet. There are ORISE opportunities overseas periodically! But I don't think you'd be able to stay federal employee during your education.

You can also check out the S.M.A.R.T. program for retention employees; must have a sponsor.

Also, while I'm sure of it for the Air Force, I believe it was a DoD wide policy change about 2-3 years ago that tuition assistance will help with doctorate level courses--but the annual cap is the same and I don't believe dissertation / thesis credits were eligible for TA. But every little bit helps.

Edited by user Tuesday, July 9, 2019 9:55:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked RVRGRL for this useful post.
Jakeabambo on 7/10/2019(UTC)
Jakeabambo  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2019 12:17:52 PM(UTC)
Jakeabambo

Man
United States

Thank you both! Those websites are a wealth of knowledge.
djp  
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 13, 2019 10:22:16 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 131 time(s) in 128 post(s)
PhDs are not an advantage in the fed govt. except for a few areas...

1 subject matter experts. Some agencies have a fee of these in specialized field like the army corps will have some PhD engineer folks. Cronus survey design experts have phD. Research scientists and data analysts like in forest service and agriculture and VHA research groups have phDs.

Also..some of these jobs can be done as contractors or in VA there are dual university faculty and research positions in the VA. HSRD snd QUERI are phD heavy snd university affiliated in VHA.

Agencies who have PhD level positions likrly cover some sort of education costs or detail assignments to getphDs. Like in DOD for active duty they have masters and PhD schooling programs where they go full time and thetraded of isextrnding service time.

Matrix  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2019 5:17:42 AM(UTC)
Matrix

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I can see no legitimate reason for obtaining a Ph.D in Computer Science. I have a Masters in Computer Science, and besides teaching opportunities afterwards (such as Naval Postgraduate School), or the perceived prestige, can see no benefit for the effort. Emphasize on the perceived aspect, because it's not an academic institution. You won't ever be referred to as Dr. X, you'll get no extra promotional points, and in general, nobody even knows your educational background.

You'd probably be best to invest all that energy into Certifications such as CISSP, Security+, CEH, PMP, etc.

Personally I think it's very prestigious and honorable, but is that worth the cost and effort? At most you'll be updating your e-mail signature.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed