Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EagleDog  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2019 3:58:33 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Statement on the opening of negotiations for a new collective-bargaining agreement
June 26, 2019

On June 26, The leaders of the National Association of Letter Carriers and the United States Postal Service formally opened negotiations for a new collective-bargaining agreement. Below is NALC President Fredric Rolando's opening statement.

Good morning everybody. Thank you to Postmaster General Brennan and Vice President Tulino for hosting this opening ceremony for the NALC’s 15th round of collective bargaining with the United States Postal Service. Since 1970, we have negotiated and/or arbitrated 14 National Agreements. We honor that long record of success and we are here today, in good faith, to begin the work toward a 15th contract that will be fair to both sides of this table.

The backdrop for these talks features some familiar obstacles. As in 2016, we face the impact of the retiree health prefunding mandate that continues to distort the overall financial picture surrounding the Postal Service, accounting for 100 percent of the Postal Service’s losses over the past six years. The outlook for postal reform legislation to resolve the prefunding fiasco remains cloudy at best in the face of Congressional gridlock and political dysfunction. And, once again, the Postal Service is simultaneously engaged with bargaining and arbitrations with the other postal unions, having recently reached a tentative settlement on a new contract with the Rural Carriers.

But just like in 2016, these factors will not affect the NALC’s agenda in these negotiations. Our unique and indispensable role in the success of the Postal Service dictates a concerted focus on city carrier issues.

As always, we have every intention of securing a voluntary agreement this time – even though we remain fully prepared to resort to binding arbitration, if need be, to achieve our goals.

As always, we will seek to preserve and improve the standard of living for city letter carriers. We aim to move forward, not backward. There will be no concessions offered or given. But we will work diligently and professionally to find common ground and mutual progress.

Our recent experience suggests that this round of negotiations will be especially difficult. As you know, I’ve expressed our deep opposition to the 10-year business plan you have presented to the unions and to Members of Congress. We view it as a huge step backwards – sending us back 10 years when Postmaster General Pat Donahoe unveiled a very similar plan that failed in Congress and resulted in a period of angry and unproductive labor relations.

Adding to the difficulty is our failure to make progress in recent years on the Postal Service’s often toxic workplace culture. Speaking bluntly, it has become clear to us that postal management does not choose to acknowledge, much less address, this problem, which festers and persists in too many post offices across the country. We had hoped the workplace culture MOU negotiated in the 2016 contract would result in a serious effort by management to jointly address offices with such work environments. We will aggressively explore other options to improve the workplace environment in this round of collective bargaining.

We will also seek to address the chronic turnover and instability in the Postal Service’s CCA workforce. To address these problems we will propose accelerated CCA conversions to career status and changes that will facilitate a transition to an all-career workforce.

We will also propose practical solutions to improve safety, efficiency, service, and staffing as well as measures to achieve properly adjusted routes. Unilateral approaches are not acceptable to us – only jointly developed and administered approaches will work.

Of course, today is not the time to focus on the divisions we must overcome. Today, is the time for hope. And- we are truly hopeful because we believe in the process of collective bargaining. Our track record as collective bargaining partners has been excellent – both sides can be proud of it. Indeed, we believe we have used this process to serve the common good and to strengthen the Postal Service on more than one occasion over the past 50 years. I know we have the capacity, on both sides of this table, to rise to the occasion once again – not just to reach a fair agreement but to advance the interests of city letter carriers and the long-term prospects of the Postal Service, a national treasure that all of us truly love.

Our competitive advantage, made possible by our unique and unrivaled first mile collection and last mile delivery networks, can be strengthened through this process. We can and must work together to innovate and diversify our customer base. Let us begin to do this in our 15th round of collective bargaining.

This is the third time I have had the privilege of leading the NALC in contract negotiations. I am extremely proud to be representing America’s city letter carriers in this effort, and I am even more proud to be a letter carrier.

Let me finish by repeating something I said earlier: We are committed to work with you in good faith and to do whatever it takes to achieve a mutually beneficial contract. But we are equally committed to fight for such a contract in interest arbitration, if necessary.

We look forward to working with all of you in the weeks and months ahead. Thank you again for hosting us here today.

https://www.nalc.org/new...ive-bargaining-agreement
poorfamily  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2019 5:18:11 AM(UTC)
poorfamily

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 61 post(s)
We all know the song and dance routine. Let's just skip negotiations and go straight to arbitration where it will end up anyway. That way we'll get a resolution sometime in 2020, instead of in 2022.
postalvet  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2019 5:31:25 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2855 time(s) in 2253 post(s)
Originally Posted by: poorfamily Go to Quoted Post
We all know the song and dance routine. Let's just skip negotiations and go straight to arbitration where it will end up anyway. That way we'll get a resolution sometime in 2020, instead of in 2022.

because the law says to do it this way.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
Mack77  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2019 7:00:25 AM(UTC)
Mack77

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Just get on with so you can join us at APWU in the 18+ month arbitration process.

At least you only have letter carriers to worry about. Supposedly Usps was fine with what my craft wanted but they were out to get the clerks of course.

Edited by user Thursday, July 11, 2019 7:01:56 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

EagleDog  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2019 2:51:10 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Radical changes are coming.
The writing is on the wall.
Mc777  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2019 4:02:08 PM(UTC)
Mc777

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: EagleDog Go to Quoted Post
Radical changes are coming.
The writing is on the wall.

Between mail volume continuing to dive, lose of amazon, fedex post , and long we just less mailing... we’re screwed.
Kc-cca  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2019 4:46:22 PM(UTC)
Kc-cca

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 27 post(s)
USPS as a whole needs to learn to cut costs. Revenue went up $1 billion fy2018 but costs went up 2 billion

That's not counting the 2 bil in one time costs, not the 6.9 bil retirement that was skipped.

How much in greviences did they pay out?

Mc777  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2019 6:02:37 PM(UTC)
Mc777

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kc-cca Go to Quoted Post
USPS as a whole needs to learn to cut costs. Revenue went up $1 billion fy2018 but costs went up 2 billion

That's not counting the 2 bil in one time costs, not the 6.9 bil retirement that was skipped.

Not to mention there more supervisors then carriers some days. They make new EAS jobs while they abolish craft jobs, then pay overtime cause offices are short staffed.
HaulinTheMail  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2019 9:24:04 AM(UTC)
HaulinTheMail

United States

Is it just me or does anyone else think the contract negotiations take entirely too long? I don't know much about the process but it's not like these things creep up out of no where and the subjects they cover are relatively the same every contract, they aren't starting from scratch this isn't a totally new industry or organization they have a template in place from the last one and all the past contracts. There are a lot of USPS employees and union officials that should be on top of this and around the time the contract is up their only jobs should be to get a new one sorted out. I know there are a lot of topics they need to cover and it is a complex agreement with a lot of moving parts, politics, and a huge operating budget etc. but just think about how much work one person can do in one year.

Do they drag it out because they need to justify their jobs and don't have anything else to do once the contract is settled? I know the delay is probably due to the fact that the two sides can never find a happy medium and are not even in the same ballpark on what each side thinks is fair but then it falls on the arbitrators to do their jobs in a timely matter. I wonder how many hours are actually spent sitting in the same room hashing this out and having intelligent conversations to get the job done?

If the amount of money and resources and all the time they claim to be diligently working on getting it done is real then it is sad that the best thing they come up with is pretty much a redress of the last one with a few minor changes. I can understand if there are major changes like new positions created(see Das Award) or if the method of delivery/operations is completely revamped but the new contracts are usually not anything revolutionary.

Edited by user Friday, July 12, 2019 9:30:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: ...

postalvet  
#10 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2019 6:14:35 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2855 time(s) in 2253 post(s)
Originally Posted by: HaulinTheMail Go to Quoted Post
Is it just me or does anyone else think the contract negotiations take entirely too long? I don't know much about the process but it's not like these things creep up out of no where and the subjects they cover are relatively the same every contract, they aren't starting from scratch this isn't a totally new industry or organization they have a template in place from the last one and all the past contracts. .

the postal unions have only had collective bargaining since 1971.

in the mid 1980's management hired a lot of attorneys who specialize in union busting.

contract talks open 90 days before the current contract expires.

unions never "start from scratch" as this would defeat the purpose. the purpose is to improve from the last contract. some articles of the contract both side are ok with and do not need changing.

the unions get their bargaining orders for the unions conventions that are held every couple of years and from issues that keep popping up in grievances.

union can not demand management meet, unions send management days that they are available and management responds with days they are available. both sides have other duties that need to be attended to so days are limited to bargain. after the unions get proposals from management they run these proposals by the unions attorneys to see if proposals comply with the law. and management does the same.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
thanks 1 user thanked postalvet for this useful post.
aterribleT6 on 7/16/2019(UTC)
Happy Trails  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2019 2:19:01 PM(UTC)
Happy Trails

United States

Originally Posted by: Kc-cca Go to Quoted Post

Grievances are thru the roof in CO/WYO. But you probably won't hear of it until OIG says something, such as their report of over a billion in OT in 2018. Custodians got a huge payout for being understaffed. Many individual ones getting upwards of 17,000 dollars.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed