Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Aegius  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2019 4:58:12 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm looking for any guidance or advice on how concerned I should be about losing my existing clearance. I've had a TS clearance for 16 years and recently married a citizen of Russia. She has lived in the US for 4 years now and will apply for citizenship when eligible next year. All her relatives are naturalized US citizens that have lived in the US for decades. She does own a small property in Russia that generates a less than $200 a month in rent. I've promptly reported everything to my security manager as required and have heard nothing back. Any thoughts on whether this situation would be considered high risk by an adjudicator?

Edited by user Thursday, July 11, 2019 5:02:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

someoldguy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2019 1:56:05 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 909 time(s) in 762 post(s)
A lot of it will depend on which agency you are cleared with and what programs you are working on. I take it she was a legal permanent resident (LPR) when you met? That's a plus (as opposed to the situation where there could be a question as to whether somebody was seeking marriage to gain residency). The foreign financial holdings will definitely attract some attention; I know that's one of the questions that always ask. And since your wife owns it, I guess you own it now.

You did the right thing by reporting it promptly... I assume it was prompt :)

Edited by user Thursday, July 11, 2019 2:00:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: typo

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
BackGdInvestigator  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 13, 2019 6:28:21 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 93 time(s) in 81 post(s)
You did right reporting -- not reporting could have quickly cost you the clearance. Hopefully you reported the foreign association when you started dating and did not wait until you were married to report the relationship.

Don't be surprised if you are visited by a background investigator (especially if you work for DoD or DoE) to discuss your spouse and your new in-laws.
*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed