Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zita  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2019 12:38:46 PM(UTC)
Zita

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello ...

Your expertise and advice is needed.

Two months ago, I accepted a short-term Census assignment. They called me two weeks ago to confirm my interest and gave me the upcoming training dates. Last week, I was contacted by the PO and asked if I would like to return to the PO for 360 days. I said yes, and completed the necessary forms and drug test. They recently called and want me to come in tomorrow to complete additional paperwork. I was informed that Orientation would in July. My second day of Orientation conflicts with the first day of training for the Census assignment.

Are there any circumstances under which I can miss a day of USPS Orientation? Or ... if I miss the second day of USPS Orientation -- will I automatically be terminated? The Census job will allow me to replenish my nearly empty, Emergency Fund.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Seadogg  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2019 1:28:27 PM(UTC)
Seadogg

Was thanked: 554 time(s) in 369 post(s)
I'm confused - were you planning on working for the census and post office at the same time? I don't see how that would work...

I'd prioritize the post office - it pays better and can lead to permanent employment if that's what you're after.

You can always ask whether there's any flexibility regarding orientation, but if you just don't show up, I'd imagine you would be terminated.
thanks 1 user thanked Seadogg for this useful post.
Zita on 7/11/2019(UTC)
Lexipooh  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2019 1:37:26 PM(UTC)
Lexipooh

United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Congrads on both jobs. The Census Bureau is a REAL Government job. The Postal Service is an Independent agency. Although, the bureau is a short term assignment, you have a better chance of transferring to another REAL federal agency and gain a fulltime REAL government position. Training at the postal service starting out is not much money. (Ask others that you may know or even some of the newer mail carriers that you see). These are just my opinions! You make the best choice for you. Again, congratulations!
thanks 1 user thanked Lexipooh for this useful post.
Zita on 7/11/2019(UTC)
Zita  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2019 2:00:53 PM(UTC)
Zita

United States

Originally Posted by: Seadogg Go to Quoted Post
I'm confused - were you planning on working for the census and post office at the same time? I don't see how that would work...

I'd prioritize the post office - it pays better and can lead to permanent employment if that's what you're after.

You can always ask whether there's any flexibility regarding orientation, but if you just don't show up, I'd imagine you would be terminated.

Thanks for your reply. One job is during the day, the other job is at night. Census jobs in a Supervisory role pays $25 an hour.

Edited by user Thursday, July 11, 2019 2:06:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Zita  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2019 2:05:25 PM(UTC)
Zita

United States

Originally Posted by: Lexipooh Go to Quoted Post
Congrads on both jobs. The Census Bureau is a REAL Government job. The Postal Service is an Independent agency. Although, the bureau is a short term assignment, you have a better chance of transferring to another REAL federal agency and gain a fulltime REAL government position. Training at the postal service starting out is not much money. (Ask others that you may know or even some of the newer mail carriers that you see). These are just my opinions! You make the best choice for you. Again, congratulations!

Thank you so much for the congrats. When it rains, it pours. I was on pins and needles waiting to hear back from the PO and had resigned myself to being called back in November for another Holiday Season. I'm happy to get back to work and wanted to take advantage of both job opportunities.☺
MPE2009  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2019 9:16:22 PM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 478 time(s) in 368 post(s)

Does the census job count as a real job with the federal govt? Would it convey benefits, etc? As far as I remember, the answer is no. It's simply a decently paid very short term job, which has no career path and no opportunity for further advancement beyond possibly good references and networking opportunities. Has that changed or am I simply misinformed?
thanks 1 user thanked MPE2009 for this useful post.
Zita on 7/11/2019(UTC)
Zita  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2019 9:56:45 PM(UTC)
Zita

United States

Originally Posted by: MPE2009 Go to Quoted Post

Does the census job count as a real job with the federal govt? Would it convey benefits, etc? As far as I remember, the answer is no. It's simply a decently paid very short term job, which has no career path and no opportunity for further advancement beyond possibly good references and networking opportunities. Has that changed or am I simply misinformed?

You're right, it's just a temporary, short-term job with no benefits.
Razanur  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2019 4:06:12 AM(UTC)
Razanur

Man
United States

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 63 post(s)

In what world is the Postal Service not a "real" government job?

Career Postal Service jobs come with all the same benefits as Career jobs in other agencies:

Pension? Check.
TSP? Check.
Healthcare/Dental? Check.
Ability to put in applications with other agencies? Check.

The only difference is a lot of OPM rules and regulations don't apply to the Postal Service.
thanks 1 user thanked Razanur for this useful post.
Zita on 7/12/2019(UTC)
roger.d  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2019 7:02:17 AM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 732 time(s) in 572 post(s)
Lexipoo has an ax to grind with thier management.

Take what they post with a grain of salt.
Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
Rss Feed  Atom Feed