Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Retirees

For those approaching retirement as well as the currently already retired, here is a forum to share ideas and thoughts and exchange questions and answers.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

To maximize your retirement, we also suggest you read "Retired Federal Employees Almanac".

(Reminder: soliciting of services is not allowed on this site.)

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ryan in San Diego  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 13, 2019 10:20:37 AM(UTC)
Ryan in San Diego

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have a relative who is retired CSRS (combined with military retirement) who passed away June 1st and was paid June 3rd. Will his spouse have to pay back the June payment? Doing research it appears the June 3rd payment is for the month of May. Can someone confirm? Thanks.
postalvet  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 13, 2019 11:08:22 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2867 time(s) in 2263 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ryan in San Diego Go to Quoted Post
I have a relative who is retired CSRS (combined with military retirement) who passed away June 1st and was paid June 3rd. Will his spouse have to pay back the June payment? Doing research it appears the June 3rd payment is for the month of May. Can someone confirm? Thanks.

all retirement payments are for the past month.

just like when you were working you got paid after working for a set amount of time.

sorry about your loss make sure you notify opm
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
Raoul  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2019 10:43:59 AM(UTC)

Man
United States

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 28 post(s)
She is entitled to one day for June. That would be the roughly the NET monthly previously received divided by 30.

To get this days funds she must submit (SF 2800) to OPM.
It is fairly straight forward to complete but be aware that even with no errors the turn around time is around SIX MONTHS.
Retired July 2011
Ryan in San Diego  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2019 9:08:57 PM(UTC)
Ryan in San Diego

United States

Thanks guys. I notified OPM a couple days after he passed and we received the package from them about 5 weeks later. We just fedexed it back today. They did say previously he would get paid for the first. I have to say the folks in the retiremnt section at opm and fegli have been very helpful and the longest i've been on hold when calling to ask a question is less than a minute. Thanks again for the info.
kaljor  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 12:55:14 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Well I can't speak about the hold time or about FEGLI, but the two or three times I've called OPM in the 10+ years I've been retired, they have been extremely courteous and knowledgeable. Exactly the opposite of the stereotype of Federal workers.
mmthomas  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2019 10:46:19 AM(UTC)

Please update this post when the widow gets the first OPM payment. I am presuming all payments stop until they process all the papers you had to send it. I would like to know if they do temporary payments to spousal annuitants like for normal retirements.

Basically how much time does the widow go without any income?

Edited by user Monday, July 22, 2019 10:46:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Raoul  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2019 3:30:30 PM(UTC)

Man
United States

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mmthomas Go to Quoted Post
Please update this post when the widow gets the first OPM payment. I am presuming all payments stop until they process all the papers you had to send it. I would like to know if they do temporary payments to spousal annuitants like for normal retirements.

My post above only applies to final pay.
FEGLI and Survivor Benefits have a defined beneficiary and would be much faster to process.

Final Pay would never be more than 30 days value (in the above case one day) and there could be multiple eligible payees.
I was told by OPM that six months was the standard turn around for final pay disbursement.

Sorry if I led anyone to think FEGLI or Survivor benefits would take anywhere near that long.

Retired July 2011
Ryan in San Diego  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2019 5:51:52 AM(UTC)
Ryan in San Diego

United States

Originally Posted by: mmthomas Go to Quoted Post

Here you go:

June 1 – Died

June 2 – Notified OPM via web site

June 7 - OPM notified bank of stop payment request for annuity. Social security also sent one that day also. Social security pulled back the June deposit on June 10.

July 16 – Received package from OPM, which consisted of a FEGLI form FE-6 and OPM form SF 2800. Also in the package was a form that confirmed the person eligible for survivor benefits and the order for succession for the insurance payout.

I had already filled out the forms, but when I called OMP about the status for the claim they told me not to send it in before we received their package

July 17 - FedExed completed forms to OPM and FEGLI along with marriage certificate and death certificate. Marriage certificate was a photo copy

August 2 – Received check from FEGLI

August 8 – Received bank deposit from OPM, which I’m assuming, is back pay for June/July

The widow had savings and a couple of other insurance polices to hold her over until the survivor benefits kicked in. All in all it's a pretty easy process, but like anything else it could and should be sped up a bit in my opinion. OPM and FEGLI reps were extremely helpful and easy to get hold of during the process. I did send one email to retire@opm.gov, but never got a reply.

Hope this helps.

Edited by user Thursday, August 8, 2019 5:58:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mmthomas  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2019 6:48:54 AM(UTC)

Thanks; about 60 days using expedited mail. NARFE wouldn't give me the time of day when I asked the question a few years ago.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed