Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

5 Pages«<2345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RodOrRob  
#61 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 2:49:15 PM(UTC)
RodOrRob

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1115 time(s) in 809 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tposters Go to Quoted Post

This was right before I went on leave, but some carriers at my station reported no longer being able to scan the signed 3849 without also signing the scanner.

Having returned from leave, I can confirm this is the case. Now, certs/signature required items have to be signed for on the scanner itself. Clock's ticking on a customer getting their nose out of joint about it, but I'm certainly not going to be signing for them.

That's interesting, I have never had a customer sign the scanner. I always use a 3849 to have them sign. It has scanned in perfectly every time so far...even removes the prefilled address for the written one.

But that will definitely fix anyone's misuse of the 3849 signature option.
John Henry  
#62 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 3:36:54 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 137 time(s) in 118 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RodOrRob Go to Quoted Post

This was right before I went on leave, but some carriers at my station reported no longer being able to scan the signed 3849 without also signing the scanner.

Having returned from leave, I can confirm this is the case. Now, certs/signature required items have to be signed for on the scanner itself. Clock's ticking on a customer getting their nose out of joint about it, but I'm certainly not going to be signing for them.

That's interesting, I have never had a customer sign the scanner. I always use a 3849 to have them sign. It has scanned in perfectly every time so far...even removes the prefilled address for the written one.

But that will definitely fix anyone's misuse of the 3849 signature option.

At least 3/4s of our scanners don't even have the stylus to sign on the screen. And should the station get help, maybe not a thing anymore with Amazon delivering their own and smart/sure post pieces drying up, but they do come they still take out the old scanners with no more cellphones to pair with it for near live updating.
poorfamily  
#63 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 4:38:23 PM(UTC)
poorfamily

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 73 post(s)
Yesterday my scanner still told me to get the signature on the 3849. If that goes away I will definitely need a replacement stylus (and a few backups).
Seadogg  
#64 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 4:52:02 PM(UTC)
Seadogg

Was thanked: 564 time(s) in 377 post(s)
Originally Posted by: poorfamily Go to Quoted Post
Yesterday my scanner still told me to get the signature on the 3849. If that goes away I will definitely need a replacement stylus (and a few backups).

You can also use a pen with the tip retracted.
122intheshade  
#65 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 6:35:25 PM(UTC)
122intheshade

Pitcairn
Location: Bankin' off of the northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

Was thanked: 565 time(s) in 454 post(s)
I've been using my pen with the ink retracted for over a year. You can tell how old a scanner is, by whether it still has a stylus and by how scratched and unreadable the screen is. Just make sure you tell the customer, "No ink!" Doubly confusing for the customer if they have to sign your scanner AND sign the green sig card on the back of some certs. They really need to charge more for certs. And make the default "No Sig", just like Express.

One thing the PO might want to consider, is "tearaway" covers for the scanner screen. NASCAR does it with their windshields. You likely have a cover on your cell phone screen. So why not on the scanner as well?
We decide which is right; and which is an illusion. I've got blisters on me fingers!
thanks 1 user thanked 122intheshade for this useful post.
RodOrRob on 7/21/2019(UTC)
roger.d  
#66 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 6:49:59 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 776 time(s) in 605 post(s)
Your stupidvisor should have replacement stylists available. It is not difficult to put a new one on.
Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
122intheshade  
#67 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 7:08:48 PM(UTC)
122intheshade

Pitcairn
Location: Bankin' off of the northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

Was thanked: 565 time(s) in 454 post(s)
We are in a fast-growing area of Phoenix. Yes, I know "fast-growing and "Phoenix" is redundant.

My office "gained" five routes in the last CDRAAP. We'll probably gain at least that many in the next go-round.

We must be a "if you can do the job there, you can do it anywhere" office. Office managers typically stay between three and six months, then move on. Most are first-time office managers; others just fill in for a few weeks.

Anyway, EVERY new manager that comes to our office swears on his/her mother's grave, that he/she has ordered "several" to "a dozen" new scanners for us within a week of showing up. We're always short on them, to the point of using the old "dumb" IMD scanners for the last few CCAs that come in almost daily. The clerks use the IMD. Most of the carriers take theirs as soon as they get to the office, or tie a note to the scanner so it doesn't get swiped.

We never get new ones. Wonder what happens to all those "orders"? According to the union mag, the PO should be pumping out the next generation next year.
We decide which is right; and which is an illusion. I've got blisters on me fingers!
MPE2009  
#68 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2019 6:15:58 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 500 time(s) in 387 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 122intheshade Go to Quoted Post

Anyway, EVERY new manager that comes to our office swears on his/her mother's grave, that he/she has ordered "several" to "a dozen" new scanners for us within a week of showing up. We're always short on them, to the point of using the old "dumb" IMD scanners for the last few CCAs that come in almost daily. The clerks use the IMD. Most of the carriers take theirs as soon as they get to the office, or tie a note to the scanner so it doesn't get swiped.

We never get new ones. Wonder what happens to all those "orders"? According to the union mag, the PO should be pumping out the next generation next year.

They probably do submit a request for new scanners. The requests have either all been denied or still waiting for approval.
NEmailman  
#69 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2019 5:35:27 PM(UTC)
NEmailman

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
On the back of the 3849 it states:

Please redeliver on this date________and leave at

check one ( ) front door ( ) back door ( ) porch ( ) garage ( ) other
MPE2009  
#70 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2019 5:42:49 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 500 time(s) in 387 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NEmailman Go to Quoted Post

That does not apply to any mail piece which requires a signature at the time of delivery.
colty31  
#71 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2019 5:50:47 PM(UTC)
colty31

United States

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MPE2009 Go to Quoted Post

That does not apply to any mail piece which requires a signature at the time of delivery.

Then why is it even on the form?

If it didn't require a signature we would have already delivered/left the package somewhere.
poorfamily  
#72 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2019 6:08:35 PM(UTC)
poorfamily

Originally Posted by: colty31 Go to Quoted Post

If it didn't require a signature we would have already delivered/left the package somewhere.

Because the form is used for other things too like parcels that don't have carrier release, or for mail that won't fit in a mailbox that is already stuffed.
Seadogg  
#73 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2019 6:14:31 PM(UTC)
Seadogg

Was thanked: 564 time(s) in 377 post(s)

Because the form is used for other things too like parcels that don't have carrier release, or for mail that won't fit in a mailbox that is already stuffed.

True, but I'm curious - does anyone actually use them for these purposes with any frequency? I've written up thousands of 3849s because the item needs a signature, or is postage due. I can count on one hand the number of times I've left notice for something that doesn't need a signature or payment. Most customers want their stuff delivered and are not happy to receive a 3849.
colty31  
#74 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2019 6:29:29 PM(UTC)
colty31

United States

I don't use a 3849 for box full. We have bright pink sheets for those and I fill out a ton of them as my route is mostly apartment buildings with high turnover.
poorfamily  
#75 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2019 3:11:25 AM(UTC)
poorfamily

I just know that if I have a spur with delivery confirmation that won't fit in a mounted box because the box is full I will scan it as 'box full' and the scanner tells me to leave a 3849.
colty31  
#76 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2019 6:00:42 PM(UTC)
colty31

United States

I just know that if I have a spur with delivery confirmation that won't fit in a mounted box because the box is full I will scan it as 'box full' and the scanner tells me to leave a 3849.

When that happens I pull all the mail and make the customer pick up everything at the office. It's satisfying to do this to customers who never empty their boxes but want their amazon sprs.
thanks 1 user thanked colty31 for this useful post.
MPE2009 on 7/27/2019(UTC)
colty31  
#77 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2019 6:04:39 PM(UTC)
colty31

United States

I confirmed with senior carriers and supervisors at my office that we have been instructed to leave all certs/signature parcels if a customer has signed a 3849.

The whole a "signed 3849" does not count as a signature is a VERY OLD way of thinking that hasn't been used since the 1990s (at least in my large 100+ route office)

We have been told that when a customer signs a 3849 requesting re-delivery they are relinquishing their right to sign in person, thereby allowing us to leave the package. If they want to sign in person they can come to the office.
poorfamily  
#78 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2019 6:09:38 PM(UTC)
poorfamily

When that happens I pull all the mail and make the customer pick up everything at the office. It's satisfying to do this to customers who never empty their boxes but want their amazon sprs.

Interfering with a customer's mail delivery out of spite isn't the best idea to say the least. Once the mail is in the box our job is done and the mail belongs to the customer.

If more mail won't fit in the box by all means take it back, leave a notice, make the customer come get it. But don't take back good mail you've already delivered to a good active address.
colty31  
#79 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2019 6:23:45 PM(UTC)
colty31

United States

Interfering with a customer's mail delivery out of spite isn't the best idea to say the least. Once the mail is in the box our job is done and the mail belongs to the customer.

If more mail won't fit in the box by all means take it back, leave a notice, make the customer come get it. But don't take back good mail you've already delivered to a good active address.

We have been instructed to pull ALL MAIL when a box is full. Otherwise you would be putting a notice into a box that is already full with mail and would then still be full the next day. How does that make sense?

We leave a notice and if the customer doesn't come to pick up their mail within 10 days it all gets sent back (I usually give around 14 days)

Edited by user Wednesday, July 24, 2019 6:55:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

poorfamily  
#80 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2019 6:37:55 PM(UTC)
poorfamily

We have been instructed to pull ALL MAIL when a box is full. Otherwise you would be putting a notice into a box that is already full with mail and would then still be full the next day. How does does that make sense?

We leave a notice and if the customer doesn't come to pick up their mail within 10 days it all gets sent back (I usually give around 14 days)

Found this on the USPS website. Sounds like your office is mostly right but the already delivered mail should stay in the box. The overflow mail gets held and maybe returned.

Full mailbox and overflow

"If a mail receptacle is deemed by the letter carrier to be full, the letter carrier will leave a "We ReDeliver for You" form (PS Form 3849) in that receptacle and return the overflow mail to the local Post Office™ location for pickup. The LPO will automatically hold accumulated mail for up to 10 days. After ten days, mail is returned to sender. The recipient can get the overflow mail by:

Scheduling a Redelivery with PS Form 3849 - Someone must be available to receive the overflow mail when Redelivery occurs.

Picking up the overflow mail from the LPO listed on the Delivery Notice. You will need to bring photo ID for pickup."
Rss Feed  Atom Feed