Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

VA (Department of Veterans Affairs)

The United States has the most comprehensive system of assistance for veterans of any nation in the world. This benefits system traces its roots back to 1636, when the Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony were at war with the Pequot Indians. The Pilgrims passed a law which stated that disabled soldiers would be supported by the colony. The establishment of the Veterans Administration came in 1930 when Congress authorized the President to "consolidate and coordinate Government activities affecting war veterans."

This forum also includes the Veterans Health Administration (VHA).

Perhaps you are working for the VA or interested in working for the VA. Here is a forum to share your experience with the VA.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TeeBPTanka  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2019 5:15:06 PM(UTC)
TeeBPTanka

Groups: Registered

I currently work for the VA in the 0101 series and am a GS-12. I am trying to relocate out of state/back home and have applied for various positions with no success. Here's what has me confused:

In February, I applied for 0996 series position (GS-12) and was referred the end of March, but haven't heard anything more. The referral letter read: 'The following is your referral status for the position or positions to which you applied: "You have been referred to the hiring manager for position GS-0996-12." (The announcement was open to"VBA Wide - Current permanent Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) employees only.")

In June, I applied for two 0996 series positions (one was GS-10 and the other was GS-11). Who may apply read, "This vacancy is open ONLY to current employees of the Veterans Benefits Administration. Employees may apply either as promotion eligibles or request consideration for a reassignment/change-to-lower grade via this vacancy announcement." For both positions, I was determined ineligible because: "Based on the application package you submitted and/or the answers provided on the occupational questionnaire you were found: Ineligible for the following position or positions: You are ineligible because you do not possess the specialized experience required for this position."

I answered all of the questions in the positive, however, am wondering if me working in the 0101 Series and applying for 0996 positions that references promotion eligibles, reassignment/change-to-lower grade is what is the problem. Specifically, are you only able to be reassigned into the same series? If not, does anyone have any idea of why I am not being referred for the GS-10 and 11 positions, but was referred for the GS-12?

Thanks for any/all information and guidance.
HR Bubba  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2019 2:39:58 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 193 post(s)
The issue is that you apparently do not have the experience required for the position; the required experience should be listed in the qualifications section on the announcement. Yes, you can be reassigned across different series, but you need the required experience in order to do so. In fact, there may be times when you will not be found qualified for other positions in your own series. For instance, I am in the 0201 series and I do staffing/classification work, if I were to apply to a Labor/Employee relations position (same series work - 0201) I would be found to be not qualified. Although all of the work is in the 0201 series, I have no experience doing labor/ER type work.

If they are using an occupational questionnaire with their announcement, these questions are used to generate an applicant's score, they are not used to determine qualifications. On a side note, in my opinion these questions are a complete waste of time since most applicants appear to be an "expert" for every question.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
TeeBPTanka on 7/16/2019(UTC)
frankgonzalez  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2019 3:44:59 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 993 time(s) in 790 post(s)
You say you already work for the VA, but are you in the VBA part of the VA? If not, then you are out of the area of consideration.
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
TeeBPTanka  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2019 5:42:57 PM(UTC)
TeeBPTanka

Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post
You say you already work for the VA, but are you in the VBA part of the VA? If not, then you are out of the area of consideration.

Hi Frank. Yes, I already work for VBA.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed