Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gsquared  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2019 6:04:26 PM(UTC)
gsquared

Groups: Registered
United States

Good Evening,

So I'm a 3 year veteran of federal service. I worked as a GS-11 for the VA for 2.5 years and now as a GS-12 for the DOD. I'm a social worker, so I have a master's degree and a clinical license. My goal, is to eventually move out of this area in 3 or 4 years. If I stuck with the DOD then I'd stay at a GS-12, but if I go back to the VA, I can now apply for GS-13 jobs. However, those positions are as a supervisor or program manager.

I want to set myself up as the best candidate, which shouldn't be hard as I led staff meetings at my outpatient clinic in the VA and I've been helping to revamp the mental health curriculum on my post, but I have no program management experience. Wouldn't it be prudent to get a certificate in program or project management to show prospective jobs that I'm qualified for program management? From what I've been reading, TIG > certificates. If that's so, then I guess I would get on the job supervision or training about how to manage a program?

Any help would be much appreciated. I've searched for this particular question, but haven't been able to find my answer.
djp  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 9:13:57 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 120 post(s)
My opinion..some sort of program management certificate doesn’t matter much.

You could look in DOD at lean six sigma programs.

For 13/14...I’m not a social worker..but in general field locations in VA are going to be managers or program managers and there will be few and hard to get because peop,e will stay until they retire.

Would you be willing to go to DC and fo work there where getting to 14 would be easier. Thst work will be more administrative.
gsquared  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 3:15:17 PM(UTC)
gsquared

United States

Originally Posted by: djp Go to Quoted Post
My opinion..some sort of program management certificate doesn’t matter much.

You could look in DOD at lean six sigma programs.

For 13/14...I’m not a social worker..but in general field locations in VA are going to be managers or program managers and there will be few and hard to get because peop,e will stay until they retire.

Would you be willing to go to DC and fo work there where getting to 14 would be easier. Thst work will be more administrative.

I probably wouldn't move to DC. I promised my wife the next move would be our last. The goal is to find something that's at least GS-12 (my current rank) and maybe just keep moving up, though, from what I've seen, it's easier to get a promotion across by moving rather than from within. I'll look into Lean Six Sigma, but it looks expensive and I'm too far from DC to be able to attend.

We do have a development program called DPMAP, so there are online leadership trainings there that might give me a boost, but I figured getting a certificate in program management was probably going to be wasted money.

I think what I'll need to do is try to take on more responsibility at my current location. Like I said, at the VA, I was leading monthly clinic meetings when no one else would, so I figured I could do something where I'm at now.
Polar Bear  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 3:32:40 PM(UTC)
Polar Bear

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Could you get any higher with the BOP?
gsquared  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 4:28:36 PM(UTC)
gsquared

United States

Originally Posted by: Polar Bear Go to Quoted Post
Could you get any higher with the BOP?

BOP?
Polar Bear  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 4:32:04 PM(UTC)
Polar Bear

United States

Bureau of Prisons. I don't know if you can, but just came to mind. One of my professors back in college was a shrink for them.
gsquared  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 4:33:26 PM(UTC)
gsquared

United States

Originally Posted by: Polar Bear Go to Quoted Post
Bureau of Prisons. I don't know if you can, but just came to mind. One of my professors back in college was a shrink for them.

Not sure. I have never seen any postings on usajobs.gov. Are there other websites where jobs are posted? If possible, I'd prefer to stay VA or DOD. I kinda have a goal of making mental health for one or the other a little better than what it is.
Polar Bear  
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 4:50:11 PM(UTC)
Polar Bear

United States

They're all on usajobs. Maybe there is a specialty difference I don't know about. Sorry, worth a shot.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed