Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rmcd2377  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 6:55:35 AM(UTC)
rmcd2377

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
So today, most of us were called into the office one at a time (a union representative was in there... not our steward, but a rep)
We went over tardies, call-outs, finished the day early-s
I have no problem with getting documented when I don’t hold up my end of our employment agreement.
But in retrospect, should we be given documentation from January, March, etc in the middle of JULY??
That seems less than ethical.

Also, if I woke up sick (migraine)and called to say I’d be late, but would be there.... went in an hour after scheduled reporting time and worked my full route; is THAT a call-out too?? I think I’d consider that a tardy with extenuating circumstances (but we probably don’t have those 😂)

Does it sound like today’s mass-documentation was carried out correctly?

postalvet  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 8:32:38 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2867 time(s) in 2263 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rmcd2377 Go to Quoted Post
So today, most of us were called into the office one at a time (a union representative was in there... not our steward, but a rep)
I have no problem with getting documented when I don’t hold up my end of our employment agreement.
But in retrospect, should we be given documentation from January, March, etc in the middle of JULY??

Also, if I woke up sick (migraine)and called to say I’d be late, but would be there.... went in an hour after scheduled reporting time and worked my full route; is THAT a call-out too?? I think I’d consider that a tardy with extenuating circumstances (but we probably don’t have those 😂)

sounds like a pre-discipline interview. you need to get clarification. sounds untimely to me.

what does the 3971 and 3972 state about the late? where you rescheduled? did you take some kind of leave to cover the late. this answer is assuming you are full time. should have asked what are you.

Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
rmcd2377  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 8:45:57 AM(UTC)
rmcd2377

The 3971s stayed (when I filled them out) that I finished my route early or had requested off. When mgt filled them out, they stated Late (I believe)
I didn’t always fill out a 71 if I finished early. I figured they'd just dock my annual pay so what was the difference
HOWEVER I happened to see my 72 the other day ( was speaking to someone in our area office about helping out while someone was away). Anyway, he had the 72 and it just had notation after notation after notation of Unscheduled AL or unscheduled LWOP (the unscheduled LWOP was deemed as coming in late) but at first he thought that EVERYTHING was instances of me being late. I told him a lot of those were when I finished early. (He didn’t like THAT either 🤷‍♀️)

What about the day I was an hour late, but I came?
Is that really a Call Out?

(I’m a City Carrier)
postalvet  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 8:59:18 AM(UTC)
postalvet

The 3971s stayed (when I filled them out) that I finished my route early or had requested off. When mgt filled them out, they stated Late (I believe)
I didn’t always fill out a 71 if I finished early. I figured they'd just dock my annual pay so what was the difference
HOWEVER I happened to see my 72 the other day ( was speaking to someone in our area office about helping out while someone was away). Anyway, he had the 72 and it just had notation after notation after notation of Unscheduled AL or unscheduled LWOP (the unscheduled LWOP was deemed as coming in late) but at first he thought that EVERYTHING was instances of me being late. I told him a lot of those were when I finished early. (He didn’t like THAT either 🤷‍♀️)

(I’m a City Carrier)

career or not? full time?

anytime again anytime you take leave (sick or annual or lwop) come in late and it is not approved in advance again approved, it is unscheduled.

yes calling in late is still calling in and unscheduled. leaving early and not getting it approved is unscheduled, just notifying management is not approval. I tell everyone if you leave early make sure management marks the 3971 approved and scheduled not just sign it "notified".

it is the unscheduled that gets people all the time.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
thanks 1 user thanked postalvet for this useful post.
rmcd2377 on 7/20/2019(UTC)
MPE2009  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 9:28:28 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 475 time(s) in 365 post(s)

(I’m a City Carrier)

If you're late, it's an unscheduled occurrence unless approved in advance. An unscheduled late is equal to an unscheduled absence in the system and for disciplinary purposes. If you leave early and did not have it approved in advance, it's unscheduled. However if you return, ask if they have more work and they don't have any, it should be scheduled(get the signed documentation when you do). You should also have filled out a 3971 every time and apparently in this office, received signed copies of completely filled out forms. You should request your 3972 and then request copies of your 3971's for every questionable entry. Grieve it if they refuse. If any 3971's are incorrect or missing, request they be corrected and that your leave be changed to scheduled, grieve it if they refuse. If you come back and simply state you're going home, it should be unscheduled if they have more work for you to do. You're not responsible for simply your assigned route, you're responsible for working your schedule. It sounds like your office is getting hammered by the attendance crackdown going on nationwide. So they probably have a mess to clean up and you need to ensure that your 3972 gets cleaned up. Remember you are responsible for your attendance and need to start paying very careful attention and keeping good records. You also need to conduct very clear conversations regarding whether or not you are getting scheduled or unscheduled leave when you go home early.
thanks 1 user thanked MPE2009 for this useful post.
RodOrRob  
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 2:18:14 PM(UTC)
RodOrRob

Was thanked: 1110 time(s) in 804 post(s)

Lesson learned here?

If you are going to be late, call in for the whole day. If they want to be that way, you be that way in return.
thanks 1 user thanked RodOrRob for this useful post.
rmcd2377  
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 2:47:43 PM(UTC)
rmcd2377

Postal vet- I’m a career carrier. Thank you for the information.

MPE- also very helpful to see it all laid out so clearly. (No one ever told me most of that! Whoops! I can do “better” now!) Thank you!!
postalvet  
#8 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 3:06:30 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Postal vet- I’m a career carrier. Thank you for the information.

MPE- also very helpful to see it all laid out so clearly. (No one ever told me most of that! Whoops! I can do “better” now!) Thank you!!

I have seen people of all crafts do what you have been doing (light mail no work, so they ask to leave early) only to have it come back and bit them in the azz later.
icedtheater  
#9 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 3:32:03 PM(UTC)
icedtheater

United States

Our PM also had us go in one at a time to go over sick days and dois times yesterday. We didn't have any union rep for ours though. She did the same thing maybe six months ago, probably trying to figure a way to get someone in trouble and to make it stick.
Hannah Blecter  
#10 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 10:39:37 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blecter

Was thanked: 1191 time(s) in 806 post(s)
Originally Posted by: icedtheater Go to Quoted Post

Our PM also had us go in one at a time to go over sick days and dois times yesterday. We didn't have any union rep for ours though. She did the same thing maybe six months ago, probably trying to figure a way to get someone in trouble and to make it stick.

Well, they cannot get anything to stick regarding dois unless the union is asleep. That is why following procedures is so important. Fill out 3996, report when you will be out past 8 hours, etc. Dois is irrelevant.
icedtheater  
#11 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 7:53:42 AM(UTC)
icedtheater

United States

Originally Posted by: Hannah Blecter Go to Quoted Post

Well, they cannot get anything to stick regarding dois unless the union is asleep. That is why following procedures is so important. Fill out 3996, report when you will be out past 8 hours, etc. Dois is irrelevant.

We have a pretty good steward so we're lucky in that regard. We have a carrier that transferred in and follows procedures to a T, because a prior PM screwed him over. Things have gotten pretty heated between him and management a couple of times where they both started yelling. Management now has been trying to turn us against him saying that "so and so came in crying because she had to go and help him since he can't finish the route on time" or things like that. I felt bad the first couple of times I heard it, but then found it it's most likely lies or at least exaggerated, as the PM told a CCA I complained about her *CCA* since I had to help her out. Which I never have complained about helping anyone, otherwise I wouldn't stay on the OTDL.
MPE2009  
#12 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 8:41:13 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 475 time(s) in 365 post(s)
Originally Posted by: icedtheater Go to Quoted Post

She is required to review attendance and performance twice yearly. But I've never worked in an office that actually did it. So in over 30 years, I've had maybe two such discussions. Could simply be flavor of the month in your area. Area and district management are known for making stupid requirements which cannot be fulfilled without not doing some other stupid mandatory requirement they've invented. So just remember, flavor of the month. Something new will come along soon enough and it'll likely also be a waste of time and damaging to morale.
poorfamily  
#13 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 4:41:30 PM(UTC)
poorfamily

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Management might also be targeting one carrier for removal but grilling all carriers to try to appear fair.
Randy1  
#14 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 5:24:56 PM(UTC)
Randy1

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 68 post(s)

A wise veteran carrier many years ago once told me:

"From the day the Post Office hires you, they will spend your entire career trying to FIRE you."

roger.d  
#15 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 5:27:06 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 724 time(s) in 566 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Randy1 Go to Quoted Post

A wise veteran carrier many years ago once told me:

"From the day the Post Office hires you, they will spend your entire career trying to FIRE you."

So true.
Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
roger.d  
#16 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 5:30:20 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 724 time(s) in 566 post(s)
This could also just be a way of intimating an employee.

Some will think "I don't want to have this happen again". And will run to meet the DIOS number. Even if management lies about what that number is.

Edited by user Sunday, July 21, 2019 6:27:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Spellcheck

Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
Seadogg  
#17 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 5:44:21 PM(UTC)
Seadogg

Was thanked: 551 time(s) in 366 post(s)
Originally Posted by: poorfamily Go to Quoted Post
Management might also be targeting one carrier for removal but grilling all carriers to try to appear fair.

True. I think one of the reasons mgmt seems to come down hard on attendance is that removal is so difficult, even for attendance. If they wait until your attendance is truly bad, they will still have to put up with you for many more months. Better to start the process early, so that they have more leverage in getting you to show up, and more chance at getting you removed in a reasonable time frame if you continue to be a problem.
Hannah Blecter  
#18 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 5:51:39 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blecter

Remember--management can not do an attendance review meeting with you on days you call in sick.

I asked a customer if he had a sense of humor when I delivered a certified to him from his employer's HR Attendance Dept. Then I told him I had figured he would be home to sign for the certified.
colty31  
#19 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 6:08:16 PM(UTC)
colty31

United States

Was thanked: 86 time(s) in 69 post(s)
what is considered coming in late? is it past the 8 click window?
Hannah Blecter  
#20 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 6:22:56 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blecter

Originally Posted by: colty31 Go to Quoted Post
what is considered coming in late? is it past the 8 click window?

Yes. And I bet your managers don't follow procedures.

See F21 Time and Attendance Manual 142.21 and 142.25 and 143 (Tardiness).
Rss Feed  Atom Feed