Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sercor95  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 4:25:24 AM(UTC)
Sercor95

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello all,

As the title of this post implies, how difficult would it be to fill a federal position overseas ? I have been looking at USAJOBS, and have noticed that most of the jobs that I have come across are only opened for federal employees, families of US Armed Forces etc. Most of the jobs I have encountered, I meet all academic and professional qualifications. However, since I am not a current federal employee, nor meet the initial qualifications; it is more or less not probable that I will be considered.

Therefore, how challenging would it be for me to start a career as a federal employee overseas ? I've worked with city municipalities in the past, but never for a federal organization. I would imagine it'd be best for me to apply for a federal position that is open stateside, and cross my fingers that I am able to transfer within years time ?

I am not particularly well versed in how the federal government operates its employment and transfers, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Endless Summer  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 5:30:32 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 171 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sercor95 Go to Quoted Post
Hello all,

Therefore, how challenging would it be for me to start a career as a federal employee overseas ? I've worked with city municipalities in the past, but never for a federal organization. I would imagine it'd be best for me to apply for a federal position that is open stateside, and cross my fingers that I am able to transfer within years time ?

I am not particularly well versed in how the federal government operates its employment and transfers, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Generally speaking, it's harder to land a position overseas. Lot's of competition. Your best bet, as you say, is to get a position here stateside. That will give you status to apply as a current fed after working in the job for 52 weeks. Ideally, you'd have the flexibility to take a job anywhere in the US, which would greatly increase your odds.

"Transfers" don't work the same as they would in the civilian world. You would have to apply for an open position just like anyone else, but you'd be in a more competitive position. Some agencies post open jobs internally and that might also be an avenue.

Good luck
djp  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 12:29:44 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 133 post(s)
Step 1 get into fed service in the ststes.

Most of overseas jobs are with DOD. Many of those are usually geared toward current DOD employees where the overseas jobs are 12-36 month tours. With DOD overseas jobs you have a job to come back to. It’s harder if you come from a different agency to a DOD overseas deployment.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed