Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

21 Pages«<192021
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hiring  
#401 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2020 9:30:32 AM(UTC)
Hiring

Groups: Registered
United States

Devastated indeed. Apparently the rest IRS is not under a hiring freeze. Uh ok...
Objection  
#402 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2020 9:49:14 AM(UTC)
Objection

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
They got a huge budget increase over last year as I stated in one of my earlier posts. Shenanigans. The same HR reps that were ignoring our calls and emails and too busy watching cat videos oh YouTube got a pay increase as well.

Edited by user Friday, January 31, 2020 9:51:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FFHire  
#403 Posted : Saturday, February 1, 2020 4:51:47 PM(UTC)
FFHire

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Objection Go to Quoted Post
They got a huge budget increase over last year as I stated in one of my earlier posts. Shenanigans. The same HR reps that were ignoring our calls and emails and too busy watching cat videos oh YouTube got a pay increase as well.

If you read about the budget it's not enough to cover everything the IRS needs as far as resources. I was very lucky to get in. the funny thing is we have people retiring and they need to make hires right now. Keep applying everyone. Hopefully you will get in. This place is huge though, so if you like having to hunt down even a paperclip go for it.

Edited by user Saturday, February 1, 2020 4:58:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Before I was a 10pt vet, I graduated with a Master's/3.7 and have years of experience.
tuckerusmc  
#404 Posted : Tuesday, February 4, 2020 12:40:10 PM(UTC)
tuckerusmc

Received my TO back in September. I was sent the onboard email about a week later. Filled out the paperwork and radio silence. Sent multiple emails for status updates and called, no response. So naturally I left it alone. Got a offer from DOL and accepted it. Started at DOL yesterday. Guess who I get a email from ready to move forward with on boarding 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Not holding my breath
Objection  
#405 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2020 10:01:58 AM(UTC)
Objection

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Unbelievable! This offer you received from HCO was a FO? My disgust with the whole process makes me ill. The time I wasted interviewing, fingerprinting and trying to reach HR reps who were too busy watching cat videos on YouTube actually affected my health. I too took another offer for a couple grand more and I could always reach my HR rep and when I did it didn’t have an attitude like he was doing me a favor and had a genuine concern that he would lose me to another employer. This is how it should have been with the treasury department. They lost a lot of good candidates with their shenanigans.
FFHire  
#406 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2020 10:36:06 AM(UTC)
FFHire

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tuckerusmc Go to Quoted Post
Received my TO back in September. I was sent the onboard email about a week later. Filled out the paperwork and radio silence. Sent multiple emails for status updates and called, no response. So naturally I left it alone. Got a offer from DOL and accepted it. Started at DOL yesterday. Guess who I get a email from ready to move forward with on boarding 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Not holding my breath

If it's the same pay I'd personally stay at DOL. Nobody likes the onboarding process, but if you are happy at DOL stay there. If the pay is more at IRS go there. Also, you have a lot of telework options at IRS. Just make sure you are good with remote work. Some people are not good with that.

Before I was a 10pt vet, I graduated with a Master's/3.7 and have years of experience.
tuckerusmc  
#407 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2020 8:16:31 AM(UTC)
tuckerusmc

Well I received the email requesting my HR POC to start the transfer. Should receive my FO shortly. This has definitely been a roller coaster ride. My timeline below:

IRS
Applied: July 30 2019
TO: Sept 13 2019
Onboard: Sept 19 2019
Closed: Dec 2 2019
Onboard: Feb 4 2020
No prints needed
FO: March 5 2020
EOD: March 30 2020

DOL
Applied: Nov 8 2019
Closed: Nov 8 2019
Interview: Dec 3 2019
TO: Dec 13 2019
Fingerprints: Dec 30 2019
FO: Jan 27 2020
EOD: Feb 3 2020

Nibler72  
#408 Posted : Friday, March 6, 2020 8:21:56 AM(UTC)
Nibler72

I'm wondering if anyone started with the IRS that transferred from another agency had their pay messed up etc? I applied almost a year ago and am supposed to start soon but

i got a new offer in Florida with a relocation allowance of 10K. I'm scared to work for the IRS, i am afraid they will totally hose up my paycheck, leave, life insurance and everything.

The firm offer had my correct grade and step but the pay was wrong, off by over 20K. Geez.
teeeeej  
#409 Posted : Monday, March 9, 2020 3:23:51 AM(UTC)
teeeeej

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Nibler72 Go to Quoted Post
I'm wondering if anyone started with the IRS that transferred from another agency had their pay messed up etc? I applied almost a year ago and am supposed to start soon but

i got a new offer in Florida with a relocation allowance of 10K. I'm scared to work for the IRS, i am afraid they will totally hose up my paycheck, leave, life insurance and everything.

The firm offer had my correct grade and step but the pay was wrong, off by over 20K. Geez.

What you are saying just doesn't make any sense. You think they had the wrong locality?
Luckyparatrooper  
#410 Posted : Friday, April 3, 2020 4:37:24 PM(UTC)
Luckyparatrooper

WAIT A sec. Tuckerusmc. You were able to transfer with 90 days of starting your assignment? I thought that was prohibited. Hmm maybe it doesn’t apply if you’re already in the interview or onboarding process of the 2nd job. I hope to be in a similar situation this summer. Started with one agency in July. But now apply to IRS positions.

What do y’all recent hires have to say about IRS 0343 series? Do you like?hiw is the IT? The managers? Anything. Thx
tuckerusmc  
#411 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2020 10:23:33 PM(UTC)
tuckerusmc

Yeah Lucky I was able to transfer without any problems. I accepted the DOL job because I hadn’t heard anything from IRS.
Papoose79  
#412 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2020 5:37:45 AM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 26 post(s)
The hiring process with the government takes time period! However rule of thumb, never stop applying and accepting any position that you think you may be interested in. I started with the IRS a few years back, went to DOL, and then back to IRS now.

The IRS is huge compared to DOL, so the hiring process is a bit different. I left DOL to return back to IRS because there is more opportunity for advancement for me in IRS. Trust me, the process is a whole lot different!

So for those of you that are trying to get in and was messed up last year, especially around September thru December, because it has more to do with the President and Congress and those appropriations bills. Our fiscal year ends on September 30th. The President didn't sign the budget till the near end of December, and of course they still hadn't received where the funds were going after signed before all the COVID19 stuff started. Government hiring is not like Corporate hiring. They will not likely hire you knowing they will have to furlough you the next week on purpose. The other issue with hiring is they don't have enough HR personnel to cover all aspects of hiring.

There's probably 10 HR reps covering the entire IRS! So 10 people trying to onboard 100,000 people while being new themselves. So take a job whenever offered just to get in is always better in my opinion!
thanks 1 user thanked Papoose79 for this useful post.
JmikeStaff on 4/16/2020(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed