Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
postalvet  
#21 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 8:04:57 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2905 time(s) in 2297 post(s)
from a 2017 oig report

https://www.uspsoig.gov/...-des-moines-post-offices

"The Veterans’ Preference Act of 1944 mandates that federal government agencies give eligible veterans preference for custodian positions. Consequently, the U.S. Postal Service has designated four custodian positions for eligible veteran applicants: building maintenance custodian, custodian laborer, custodian, and laborer custodian."

contracts can not change law.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
MPE2009  
#22 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2019 5:49:37 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 388 post(s)
Originally Posted by: postalvet Go to Quoted Post
from a 2017 oig report

https://www.uspsoig.gov/...-des-moines-post-offices

"The Veterans’ Preference Act of 1944 mandates that federal government agencies give eligible veterans preference for custodian positions. Consequently, the U.S. Postal Service has designated four custodian positions for eligible veteran applicants: building maintenance custodian, custodian laborer, custodian, and laborer custodian."

contracts can not change law.

Preference is not entitlement. It means they are given hiring advantages and will be hired before other applicants, but not that they are the sole applicants to be hired. Prior to roughly 2011, that's all we ever hired off the street in most locales (maybe not all). But starting with our first hiring PSE's, it became a whole new ballgame in hiring custodians off the street. Nearly half of our current custodial staff where I work, never even served. The hiring of non-career employees (ie. MHA, CCA, PSE) also led to our in-service transfers being more likely to contain employees transferring to maintenance, who never served in any capacity. Plus lets face it, lots of people won't even apply for a custodian job and the post office is no longer a desirable employer when looking in from the outside. As I said, your information was out of date as far as the current reality. Feel free to run for congress and fix this mess. I'd probably donate to your campaign fund if you were running to actually fix the problems concerning the post office. You definitely are more literate than half the clowns currently in office.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed