Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CCAguy  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 3, 2019 8:23:53 AM(UTC)
CCAguy

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I'm currently a letter carrier at step E on the post-2013 pay scale, been carrying for 6 years now.

This week I accepted an offer to join the mysterious and secretive ranks of the career labor custodian at a p&dc plant. I'm assuming at a level 4 pay?

For those that have done it, or are in the know, what should I expect the process to be like? Where will I start on the level 4 pay scale? Are there any tips I should know or any advice you could give? I will probably not stay a custodian for my career and would like to branch out or move up into maintenance management.
postalvet  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 3, 2019 12:48:49 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2905 time(s) in 2297 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CCAguy Go to Quoted Post
I'm currently a letter carrier at step E on the post-2013 pay scale, been carrying for 6 years now.

This week I accepted an offer to join the mysterious and secretive ranks of the career labor custodian at a p&dc plant. I'm assuming at a level 4 pay?

For those that have done it, or are in the know, what should I expect the process to be like? Where will I start on the level 4 pay scale? Are there any tips I should know or any advice you could give? I will probably not stay a custodian for my career and would like to branch out or move up into maintenance management.

yes custodians are level 4.
to see what step you will be start here; https://about.usps.com/m...s/elm/html/elmc4_011.htm

management is management no matter what craft.

stay in craft and move up in maintenance fixing things is very rewarding.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
Hannah Blecter  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 3, 2019 4:31:40 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blecter

Was thanked: 1248 time(s) in 855 post(s)
Remember this is not janitorial work like you would be expected to do in the public sector for half the money. Don't feel you have to do any more than the custodian doing the least. Enjoy the gravy and don't feel guilty.
MPE2009  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 4, 2019 5:16:11 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 388 post(s)

I was maxed out on the carrier scale, they moved me over to the top of the custodial scale. Mailhandler buddy, similar story, he was topped out on the mailhandler scale and came over topped out on the custodial scale. He lost a couple hundred dollars, I lost thousands and even more thousands in overtime. But I'll never regret it. So as I understand it, look at your yearly salary, look over at the custodial level 4 and find which step your current salary falls in between. You'll start at the lower of those two. Hopefully that's how your change will work. Definitely apply within your first 30 days to take every single test available for every single maintenance job in your facility. Don't worry about failing, you're allowed to update every 120 days. If you pass and aren't ready to promote, that's okay too, because you can always turn in an indefinite rejection form until such time as you're ready to promote to a higher level maintenance job. And bowing to Hannah's wisdom, if your facility is anything like mine was, assuming you as a carrier work as hard as most carriers do, you'll be hardest working custodian in your facility until you learn to fit in with the other custodians and give your best 2 hours a day. Seriously, the hardest working custodians in our facility were former letter carriers. The career custodians were like cockroaches and scattered to hide in every corner of the facility for 4-8 hours a day. We had one or two hard working custodians that actually gave four hours of work a day without ever having carried mail.
thanks 1 user thanked MPE2009 for this useful post.
Hannah Blecter on 8/4/2019(UTC)
mailman617  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2019 2:25:54 PM(UTC)
mailman617

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

I'm thinking about a move too. What's the process to change crafts?
colty31  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2019 7:00:03 PM(UTC)
colty31

United States

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 76 post(s)
for anyone that switched over to custodian, weren't you extremely bored?

just thinking about being stuck inside the building all day gives me anxiety..
Hannah Blecter  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2019 10:38:10 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blecter

Originally Posted by: colty31 Go to Quoted Post

Which is cured by sleep.
roger.d  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2019 7:03:19 AM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 780 time(s) in 608 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mailman617 Go to Quoted Post

I'm thinking about a move too. What's the process to change crafts?

Start with a letter to your Postmaster.
Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
postalvet  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2019 8:26:30 AM(UTC)
postalvet

it is really a myth that custodians do nothing.

there is high dusting
waxing the floors
moving furniture
and other duties as assigned

the deal is when the assigned work for the day is completed that is it, and because each person works at different speeds you get done when you get done.

yes some cut corners but most custodians work hard and remember if a custodian is hired off the street they are a military veteran some with points and they need to sit often and catch their breath.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
Hannah Blecter  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2019 9:20:08 AM(UTC)
Hannah Blecter

Can't help but note that the defense of custodians is that the job is designed to allow for lots of rest?? No wonder the carriers are beaten like beasts of burden and their efforts are never enough to carry the company.

Now let's talk about managers. lol
Seadogg  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2019 6:19:17 PM(UTC)
Seadogg

Was thanked: 564 time(s) in 377 post(s)
Originally Posted by: postalvet Go to Quoted Post

there is high dusting
waxing the floors
moving furniture

the deal is when the assigned work for the day is completed that is it, and because each person works at different speeds you get done when you get done.

yes some cut corners but most custodians work hard and remember if a custodian is hired off the street they are a military veteran some with points and they need to sit often and catch their breath.

I don't have much knowledge of how much work custodians do. But that's certainly not how it works with carriers. We aren't allowed to finish our route and then goof off.

And I can't believe you are serious about that comment about military veterans. If I was a veteran, I think I'd be offended.
roger.d  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2019 6:40:02 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 780 time(s) in 608 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Seadogg Go to Quoted Post

there is high dusting
waxing the floors
moving furniture

I don't have much knowledge of how much work custodians do. But that's certainly not how it works with carriers. We aren't allowed to finish our route and then goof off.

And I can't believe you are serious about that comment about military veterans. If I was a veteran, I think I'd be offended.

As a veteran, I am offended.

I have no service connected disability. But I work with some that have. All the way up to being shot or hit with an IED. I'm sure they are offended also.

But I do know many custodians that do 1/4 the work that 2/3 the city carriers do.
Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
thanks 1 user thanked roger.d for this useful post.
MPE2009 on 11/28/2019(UTC)
postalvet  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2019 8:07:44 PM(UTC)
postalvet

sorry if you are offended.

it is the facts as I see them

Blahblah  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2019 11:19:09 PM(UTC)
Blahblah

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)

there is high dusting
waxing the floors
moving furniture

Postalvet, no longer are “off-the-street” custodians individuals that are military veterans. I personally know quite a few that have had no military service to their name/record. Just civilians that applied for the job and got it. No strings or contingencies.

Edited by user Wednesday, November 27, 2019 11:19:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Blahblah for this useful post.
MPE2009 on 11/28/2019(UTC)
postalvet  
#15 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 9:53:26 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Originally Posted by: Blahblah Go to Quoted Post

there is high dusting
waxing the floors
moving furniture

Postalvet, no longer are “off-the-street” custodians individuals that are military veterans. I personally know quite a few that have had no military service to their name/record. Just civilians that applied for the job and got it. No strings or contingencies.

then your office is in violation of the law or they could not get vets.

the union in arbitration just told the arbitrators exactly what I posted.

this was in the current apwu nov/dec magazine
"We have many veteran's in Maintenance, with 12,452 of maintenance employees having serviced in the military - that is 42 percent of our craft...custodial positions are set aside for preference-eligible veterans for external recruitment."

RodOrRob  
#16 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 1:49:30 PM(UTC)
RodOrRob

Was thanked: 1116 time(s) in 810 post(s)

there is high dusting
waxing the floors
moving furniture

"We have many veteran's in Maintenance, with 12,452 of maintenance employees having serviced in the military - that is 42 percent of our craft...custodial positions are set aside for preference-eligible veterans for external recruitment."

They could not get vets is what's happening (we have 1 non-vet hired off the street)...and we need 1 more.
No one seems to want to work for the USPS these days.
122intheshade  
#17 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 2:13:25 PM(UTC)
122intheshade

Pitcairn
Location: Bankin' off of the northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

Was thanked: 565 time(s) in 454 post(s)
FWIW - we have two custodians. One permanent one, and one that seems to parachute in for a few weeks before leaving. Most have some sort of leg issue.

For that matter, so do most clerks and carriers who have had the job more than a few years.
We decide which is right; and which is an illusion. I've got blisters on me fingers!
postalvet  
#18 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 3:26:23 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Originally Posted by: RodOrRob Go to Quoted Post

They could not get vets is what's happening (we have 1 non-vet hired off the street)...and we need 1 more.
No one seems to want to work for the USPS these days.

not surprised, if one does a search for "any post office forums" this forum is first and if they read it and pay attention they will not want to work here.

122intheshade  
#19 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 3:59:42 PM(UTC)
122intheshade

Pitcairn
Location: Bankin' off of the northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

Was thanked: 565 time(s) in 454 post(s)
If I saw this forum for the first time, I'd be thinking there's gotta be a gravy train (or a pony) at the bottom of all this. Probably both.
We decide which is right; and which is an illusion. I've got blisters on me fingers!
MPE2009  
#20 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 6:49:55 PM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 388 post(s)

there is high dusting
waxing the floors
moving furniture

Your information is dated. The 2012 contract that authorized PSE's changed all that. Custodial PSE's were hired off the street and there was no requirement to be a veteran.
The 2015 contract eliminated PSE custodians and restored veteran's preference, but it was no longer a requirement as it had been prior to 2012.k And without reading the NOV/DEC article, it appears that whoever wrote it, is also somewhat out of touch in regards to hiring for custodial positions from off the street.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed