Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mesh  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2019 12:55:34 PM(UTC)
Mesh

Groups: Registered

This question may have been asked I apologize I was unable to find it.

I currently working in a government position that I have a clearance for Company A. I was offered a position with another government organization Company B. The position with Company B requires a different security clearance which I was told may take 1-2 years before it is finished. I am currently going through the background investigation for the clearance position with Company B. I was also recently offered a position with a private company Company C. I want the government position with Company B but I don’t want to wait upwards of two years in my current position for my clearance to be finalized. I wanted to know if I take this position with the private company Company C will i no longer be considered for the position with the other government organization Company B? Will my investigation be stopped if I leave the government for private industry ?
FS0201  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2019 3:55:28 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 278 time(s) in 242 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mesh Go to Quoted Post

I currently working in a government position that I have a clearance for Company A. I was offered a position with another government organization Company B. The position with Company B requires a different security clearance which I was told may take 1-2 years before it is finished. I am currently going through the background investigation for the clearance position with Company B. I was also recently offered a position with a private company Company C. I want the government position with Company B but I don’t want to wait upwards of two years in my current position for my clearance to be finalized. I wanted to know if I take this position with the private company Company C will i no longer be considered for the position with the other government organization Company B? Will my investigation be stopped if I leave the government for private industry ?

Not a security clearance guru, but everyone is an expert on the Internet. So company B, which you do not work for, has initiated an investigation on you for an offered position. The jurisdiction here, if that is the correct phrase, is dependent on your being an applicant for/tentatively selected for company B, not the fact that you work for company A, C, or are unemployed.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
birdonamission  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2019 3:26:34 AM(UTC)
birdonamission

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 49 post(s)
When talking about positions at "government organizations" Company A and B, are you saying they are contractor positions? If so, those are not government jobs in the true sense of the word ("government") and if you leave Company A or B to go work for "private company" Company C, you're not "leaving the government." All three companies are in the private sector / industry. If "Company" A and B are truly federal "government organizations," then they are not companies, they're "agencies."

To your question: right now it's just an offer, but if you're selected for the contractor job with Company B and they won't start you with an interim clearance and it takes 1-2 years to finalize, surely they don't expect you to sit around for that long twiddling your thumbs unemployed waiting for the clearance (which in theory could actually end u being denied). It's up to you, but maybe you can ask about that interim with Company B and mention that you have an offer for a job that will start you right away (with Company C, which you don't have to mention by name).
TheUnderverse15  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2019 2:16:03 AM(UTC)
TheUnderverse15

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FS0201 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mesh Go to Quoted Post

Not a security clearance guru, but everyone is an expert on the Internet. So company B, which you do not work for, has initiated an investigation on you for an offered position. The jurisdiction here, if that is the correct phrase, is dependent on your being an applicant for/tentatively selected for company B, not the fact that you work for company A, C, or are unemployed.

From experience, I saw some CSMs do some shady stuff to others. One guy was selected for a position in DC that required TS. He waited for about 6 months or so, saw there was no activity happening, he applied for job overseas and was selected. He let the previous agency know he was taking that position since it only required Secret. Both positions were DoD, once he got our location. I did a check on him and noticed that the previous agency pulled a "loss of jurisdiction" on him and terminated his TS. Stuff like that can take an arm or leg to get back when dealing with OPM.

For OP, you have to be careful, never know what an agency is going to do if they think you burned bridges on them. Also noticed that some contracted companies ie Boeing, Booz Allen, etc. do some very nasty things like revoke or loss of jurisdiction on an employee who ditches them for federal positions. Had this issue with guard members for some odd reason.

Edited by user Tuesday, August 13, 2019 2:18:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed