Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TXAK  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 7, 2019 4:25:23 PM(UTC)
TXAK

Groups: Registered
United States

DR approval letter states OPM may ask for medical evidence from time to time to show conditions remain disabling. Interesting that the term "may" is emphasised in bold type. Anothering interesting read is the statute pertaining to DR retirement termination, 5 CFR 831.1208(a), which states that "unless the disability is found by OPM to be permanent in nature"(along with a few other seperate qualifiers), the recipient shall be examined on an annual basis. I never knew OPM was in the business making medical "findings" of permanency (yes I'm being sarcastic).

As a practical matter, how many of you have actually received one of these annual requests from OPM? A quick legal search did not turn up any cases (appeals) where OPM has discontinued DR based on the results of one of these examinations. So while I guess it's possible it "may" happen, I'm inclined to say it's rare, at least rare that OPM would take action to terminate based on recovery.

Thoughts?
gembarok  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2019 4:45:29 AM(UTC)
gembarok

Man
United States

Was thanked: 160 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TXAK Go to Quoted Post
DR approval letter states OPM may ask for medical evidence from time to time to show conditions remain disabling. Interesting that the term "may" is emphasised in bold type. Anothering interesting read is the statute pertaining to DR retirement termination, 5 CFR 831.1208(a), which states that "unless the disability is found by OPM to be permanent in nature"(along with a few other seperate qualifiers), the recipient shall be examined on an annual basis. I never knew OPM was in the business making medical "findings" of permanency (yes I'm being sarcastic).

As a practical matter, how many of you have actually received one of these annual requests from OPM? A quick legal search did not turn up any cases (appeals) where OPM has discontinued DR based on the results of one of these examinations. So while I guess it's possible it "may" happen, I'm inclined to say it's rare, at least rare that OPM would take action to terminate based on recovery.

Thoughts?

Greetings,

I think you might be reading a little bit into it. If upon examining your medical documents OPM sees that your doctor has determined your condition to be permanent... is how I understand it. For instance, SSDI has certain line item disabilities that they consider to be permanent in nature and not going to get better only worse. COPD is one of them. Blindness.

I haven't been on DR long enough to answer your question... but I would bet if you start reporting an income on your annual financial report, you MAY get a letter from OPM about medical. Or they are just too damn backlogged.

S/
K
Xavier12  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2019 1:03:48 PM(UTC)
Xavier12

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
This has me nervous as well. I posted about this a couple threads back. I do earn a part-time wage to supplement my retirement. I am no where close to making 80 percent of my government income but still I worry about that medical review.
GSBS  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2019 1:10:14 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 301 time(s) in 262 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Xavier12 Go to Quoted Post
This has me nervous as well. I posted about this a couple threads back. I do earn a part-time wage to supplement my retirement. I am no where close to making 80 percent of my government income but still I worry about that medical review.

My heart skips a beat each time one of those pull-apart letters come from OPM.
ValkyrieDown  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2019 12:11:56 PM(UTC)
ValkyrieDown

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Those are nothing short of terrifying. That 90 day window to provide OPM with your current medical documentation is indeed a bothersome chore.

My thoughts and opinions on the process might be tainted by drinking too much managerial kool-aid. They seem like simple questions, if you are the truthful kind of person. If you have irrefutable evidence you're still sick or disabled, fine. You pass. I do agree that the moment you report earnings, you will be subject to further inquiry. The inclusion of your new PD for the part-time side hustle scares the bejesus out me for obvious reasons.

IMO the nature, context and timing of these mailings (which come via regular post) are meant to be a power play resulting in fear and anxiety. Illnesses that might be more recluse than others with vague nebulous symptoms might not be enough one day.

The important thing now is to keep living the dream despite the nightmares you have been subjected to.

R/
Valkyrie Down

thanks 1 user thanked ValkyrieDown for this useful post.
GSBS on 8/23/2019(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed