Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
not_real_throwaway  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 11, 2019 5:35:40 PM(UTC)
not_real_throwaway

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I'm taking one sometime in the next month or so, and I'm nervous about it. I honestly don't have anything to hide with regards to anything I've done in my past, but I've read lots of stories here about people who had to re-take becuase of a false positive result. This whole application/eqip/BI/sf86 process has taken almost a year so far for me and I am worried they'll say "well your investigator thinks you were a bit fishy on one answer, try again in 3 months"
NoStringsAttached  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2019 3:45:14 AM(UTC)
NoStringsAttached

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: not_real_throwaway Go to Quoted Post
I'm taking one sometime in the next month or so, and I'm nervous about it. I honestly don't have anything to hide with regards to anything I've done in my past, but I've read lots of stories here about people who had to re-take becuase of a false positive result. This whole application/eqip/BI/sf86 process has taken almost a year so far for me and I am worried they'll say "well your investigator thinks you were a bit fishy on one answer, try again in 3 months"

I had to go back two weeks and retake it. It just depends on their scheduling. There is a chance you could take it again the very next day.
That Applicant  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2019 12:34:02 PM(UTC)
That Applicant

United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 9 post(s)

In my experience right after I was notified of the inconclusive result on my first attempt they gave me the option to reschedule for the following week or ~3 months later. There didn't seem to be any in-between, but I also know that a lot of other applicants in that group were also rescheduled within 7 days.

Good luck with your upcoming poly, though! Make sure to get plenty of rest beforehand.
darkstallion  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2019 1:49:12 PM(UTC)
darkstallion

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)

The inconclusive/ failure rate is like over 50% for the first time takers. Took it 3 times. If you are a long distance applicant and they have room on their schedule they might offer you the day after option for the 2nd, if not then 2.5 weeks - 1 month is standard.

Edited by user Monday, August 12, 2019 1:50:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

not_real_throwaway  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 8:41:39 AM(UTC)
not_real_throwaway

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
May as well update with what happened in case other nervous people are reading this. I failed the first one. They say "come back later in the week, otherwise it won't be for 2 or 3 months". I came in later in the week. And failed again. That time they didn't even say "2-3 months", they just said "go home and keep an eye on your email, we'll tell you when it is, we don't know but it won't be soon". So, yeah... no idea what my status is. Well, except for frustrated that the government still insists on using such a debunked technique.
George Maschke  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 12:07:14 AM(UTC)
George Maschke

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)

The NSA uses a polygraph technique called the Relevant/Irrelevant Test (PDF) wherein the interrogator looks for consistent, specific, and significant reactions to any of the relevant questions. The irrelevant questions are not scored. It's quite common, indeed seemingly the norm, for the subject to be accused of deception or withholding information after the first session, to be interrogated, and then to be invited back for one or two follow-up sessions. In rare cases, more sessions may be authorized. The time between sessions may range from a day, to weeks, to months. Only if at the end of the sessions you haven't been deemed to have "passed," have you truly "failed." To my knowledge, there is no appeal process and you'll likely be blacklisted for life.

The NSA has produced a public relations video about its polygraph program that you may be shown. I have a commentary on it (YouTube) that may be of interest.
Signal/WhatsApp/Snapchat/Telegram/iMessage: +1-202-810-2105
Rss Feed  Atom Feed