Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
QNirma  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2019 8:56:09 PM(UTC)
QNirma

Groups: Registered

Hi everyone! I joined this forum so I could get some advice, I really hope someone can help me.
I am a new rural carrier on probation period of 90 days. I love the job, but the office I work as I have heard has a reputation. Every month they hire new people. While I admire the amount of volume I see every day (there are over 100 regular routes), the environment is awful. I was trained for 4 days, and then asked to do a whole route by myself. And I am just not fast enough.

I am sure I can get better in time, but is not what is expected. If I am not back by 5, I get calls asking how much longer. It takes me very long even with help they send to complete the route. Truth is I had tears when I saw like 100 + packages plus DPS I had to deliver. For me being new, there is no way I can do between 500 to 600+ boxes and packages in less than 3 to 4 hours. I just can’t. I have not taken more than a 5 minute break, much less lunch in 3 weeks. Most days I put in 8 to 10 hours. I am worried that they always have to send help for me to finish. Not to mention the weather has slow me down too, as it has been where I am over 100 degrees. Those LLV get hot.

I have a feeling it would be way different at a smaller post office. I would like to ask for a transfer, but not only would need to find a position available, but is my understanding one cannot do that during the probationer period? Now my questions are:
Is there any way to change to another office during the 90 days?
Do the 90 days start the day you get to the office, or orientation?
If I am slow in comparison to regulars, and they let me go, will I ever be able to work as an RCA again?
Would it be better to just quit and start a new application for another office?
Should I just let the probation period run, and take my chances?

I have gather information as I go. There is no order there... While so many people at the location are super nice, everyone tells you something different, and when I get help, everyone does things different. One thing they all say is that it will get better, that I just have to endure. But honestly I feel defeated.

Any advice would be truly appreciated.

Randy1  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2019 3:26:06 AM(UTC)
Randy1

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Everyone is slow in the beginning until you become familiar with the job. All new jobs have a learning curve. With that said, the USPS is an unforgiving environment with terrible management. And it continues through out your career. Some offices will be better than others. Only you can decide if the hassle is worth the struggle. Good Luck to you.

Edited by user Tuesday, August 13, 2019 3:28:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Randy1 for this useful post.
roger.d on 8/13/2019(UTC)
postalvet  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2019 6:52:56 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2872 time(s) in 2268 post(s)
Originally Posted by: QNirma Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone! I joined this forum so I could get some advice, I really hope someone can help me.
I am a new rural carrier on probation period of 90 days. I love the job, but the office I work as I have heard has a reputation. Every month they hire new people. While I admire the amount of volume I see every day (there are over 100 regular routes), the environment is awful. I was trained for 4 days, and then asked to do a whole route by myself. And I am just not fast enough.

I am sure I can get better in time, but is not what is expected. If I am not back by 5, I get calls asking how much longer. It takes me very long even with help they send to complete the route. Truth is I had tears when I saw like 100 + packages plus DPS I had to deliver. For me being new, there is no way I can do between 500 to 600+ boxes and packages in less than 3 to 4 hours. I just can’t. I have not taken more than a 5 minute break, much less lunch in 3 weeks. Most days I put in 8 to 10 hours. I am worried that they always have to send help for me to finish. Not to mention the weather has slow me down too, as it has been where I am over 100 degrees. Those LLV get hot.

I have a feeling it would be way different at a smaller post office. I would like to ask for a transfer, but not only would need to find a position available, but is my understanding one cannot do that during the probationer period? Now my questions are:
If I am slow in comparison to regulars, and they let me go, will I ever be able to work as an RCA again?

I have gather information as I go. There is no order there... While so many people at the location are super nice, everyone tells you something different, and when I get help, everyone does things different. One thing they all say is that it will get better, that I just have to endure. But honestly I feel defeated.

more rural carriers are at this site then here;
https://www.ruralinfo.net/

try there.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
IntelPro  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2019 9:32:33 AM(UTC)
IntelPro

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 28 post(s)
"Truth is I had tears when I saw like 100 + packages plus DPS I had to deliver...I have not taken more than a 5 minute break, much less lunch in 3 weeks. Most days I put in 8 to 10 hours."

Quit. Find a job that treats you better than what you're experiencing. If you're in tears and haven't taken a lunch in 3 weeks, then there's your answer. That's absolutely absurd.

Edited by user Tuesday, August 13, 2019 9:33:36 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LeroyToliver  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2019 10:32:05 AM(UTC)
LeroyToliver

United States

Was thanked: 98 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Most of us are on this Earth for 70-80 years average, why spend it in a place that will forever frustrate you. The money is ok at best and definitely does not outweigh the peace of mind and weekends spent with your children as they quickly grow, and the mental and physical stress of a USPS game whose rules are strategically shuffled every few years so that you never trully know what the hell is going on.

If you are just starting off I would highly recommend you seek peace and tranquility through minimalism during your short time on this planet. I wasted four decades of my life as a carrier, steward, and even post master for a while. Look up The USPS National Reasessment Process to see what they do with you once you get injured during your career as a human pack mule. Go visit postalemployeenetwork.com and look at the injured and NRP forums. Read through the tragic stories injured postal workers have gone through. Unlike with the private sector, you cannot sue the USPS for damages when you get injured. Instead you are placed into a rigged system designed to shut your claim down under any excuse, resturn you to work, and then remove you for not being able to do the job any longer. What I wouldnt give to go back and sell shoes instead.
thanks 1 user thanked LeroyToliver for this useful post.
IntelPro on 8/15/2019(UTC)
colty31  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2019 10:33:27 AM(UTC)
colty31

United States

Was thanked: 90 time(s) in 71 post(s)
You have over 100 rural routes?

If making career is important to you I’d try and stay right where you are. It can take years and years to make career as a rural, especially in a small office.

If the office really is unbearable maybe try out CCA if walking sounds appealing to you.

But I’d try and stick it out and keep improving. Don’t assume they will fire you, if you keep a good attitude you can probably stick around.

Also, take your breaks.
QNirma  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2019 8:31:35 PM(UTC)
QNirma

Thank you all.

I will check the other site to see if they can answer me. I think is the office I am at. Today I was told I should do half a route in less than 2 hours, I had a LOT of packages, plus the spurs for the whole route, some very heavy, and my God it was trash day. All the darn cans in front of mail boxes, I think I had to get down on almost each one. All that stuff takes time. They did send help, but I was so frustrated. How can one learn a route if in 3 weeks, they have sent me to a different one everyday? They hired 8 more people from what I saw. Nobody lasts, and the regulars who have been there for 15+ years, sometimes do not show up when is too hit. The body of work is carried by people paid by the hour. Is just not fair.

Leroy, I used to be at home with my sons, since I have two of them with learning disabilities, but I had to look for work because my husband got physically hurt, and while he is still working, is not the same income we used to have. I will be 58 in a few months, so I am not young. My body hurts everywhere, I think even my toe nails hurt, lol.

I am looking for something else, but we want to move back to the country as soon as we can afford it, and probably try again. I do like the job, I just do not like the office I am working from.
MPE2009  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 4:51:56 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 477 time(s) in 367 post(s)
Thank you all.

I will check the other site to see if they can answer me. I think is the office I am at. Today I was told I should do half a route in less than 2 hours, I had a LOT of packages, plus the spurs for the whole route, some very heavy, and my God it was trash day. All the darn cans in front of mail boxes, I think I had to get down on almost each one. All that stuff takes time. They did send help, but I was so frustrated. How can one learn a route if in 3 weeks, they have sent me to a different one everyday? They hired 8 more people from what I saw. Nobody lasts, and the regulars who have been there for 15+ years, sometimes do not show up when is too hit. The body of work is carried by people paid by the hour. Is just not fair.

Leroy, I used to be at home with my sons, since I have two of them with learning disabilities, but I had to look for work because my husband got physically hurt, and while he is still working, is not the same income we used to have. I will be 58 in a few months, so I am not young. My body hurts everywhere, I think even my toe nails hurt, lol.

I am looking for something else, but we want to move back to the country as soon as we can afford it, and probably try again. I do like the job, I just do not like the office I am working from.

It's a hard job and they will throw more at you than you can handle. It's a learning process. It's also true that there are a million different ways to do the same job and you have to figure out what works best for you. So when given advice, take what works or seems to work and throw away what doesn't. Come to work as scheduled and give an honest effort. Unless you're truly incompetent and incapable of performing the job, you'll probably survive if you don't give up. And fair? LMAO, what in life is ever truly fair? Just do what's best for you and in the end, you do have the freedom to quit and find something that suits you better. Leroy is right about that, take care of yourself first.
postalvet  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 6:57:53 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Thank you all.

something does not make sense rurals are paid on an evaluated schedule, it takes what it takes. how can management then say "Today I was told I should do half a route in less than 2 hours,"

let me start by saying everyone can do this job if they take their time, I see you are female, sometimes females have a harder time learning as they want to do a good job from day one. management also does not treat females as equals.

the biggest issue is you are on probation and management wants any excuse to fire you. they will tell you lies to make you feel bad. management will degrade you.

your best bet at this point is to try for a pse, maintenance job or maybe a cca. or not to be mean but suck it up until off probation.

and one more thing, management cares nothing about your home life they want you married to the post office.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 14, 2019 6:59:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
QNirma  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 1:05:55 PM(UTC)
QNirma

"
the biggest issue is you are on probation and management wants any excuse to fire you"

What is the purpose of this? Absolutely illogical, what is the point of hiring new people on a weekly basis and fire the ones you have trained?

postalvet  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 7:03:15 PM(UTC)
postalvet

"
the biggest issue is you are on probation and management wants any excuse to fire you"

What is the purpose of this? Absolutely illogical, what is the point of hiring new people on a weekly basis and fire the ones you have trained?

not illogical in the post office management does not know how to manage.

happens all the time.
122intheshade  
#12 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2019 5:29:35 PM(UTC)
122intheshade

Pitcairn
Location: Bankin' off of the northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

Was thanked: 562 time(s) in 452 post(s)
I was an RCA. Twice. The reason they constantly hire, is because ideally they want a 1-1 RCA to regular ratio. That rarely lasts more than a couple weeks, but that's the goal. Typically, you're the designated sub for a route one day a week, plus vacation and sick days.

Then, you'll be the secondary sub for another route, and the third designated sub for a third route. That's called a matrix.

First off, you want to see when the last conversion to career was in your office. Then, you need to find out how many RCAs are in line to be converted before you. How long have they been RCAs?

I worked at one of the fastest growing areas in the Phoenix metro years ago as an RCA. When I was hired, we had a 1-1 ratio. I was number 31 of 31 in "seniority". Within ONE MONTH, ten new RCAs quit, and I was up to 21, and doing two routes a week, plus (and this absolutely bites the big one) being called in a couple times a week. If you want a life, RCA is NOT the way to go. RCA=ON CALL. CCA=NOT ON CALL. And better union.

After three months, I was number 12 in RCA seniority. And that's where I ended up. Because the 11 ahead of me had been there from seven years to two years. Last time I looked, a couple of them were STILL RCA. The problem with rural routes is, they can expand. Most rural carriers want bigger routes, because you make more money. As opposed to city routes, which are (har-dee-har-har) supposed to be eight hours, or thereabouts.

Previous posts mentioned giving PSE or CCA a try. You'll certainly make career much quicker in those jobs. If career is your goal, go elsewhere. Rural isn't the way.

Good luck.
We decide which is right; and which is an illusion. I've got blisters on me fingers!
Yukoncarrier24  
#13 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2019 8:00:01 PM(UTC)
Yukoncarrier24

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 25 post(s)
If you think switching offices will make things better. FORGET IT Management is pretty much the same. Put out more with fewer hours. Has always been this way if you let them
Minnesota Postmaster  
#14 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2019 12:43:18 PM(UTC)
Minnesota Postmaster

United States

Was thanked: 106 time(s) in 86 post(s)
Quote:

Probation starts 1st day of career. No, you cannot transfer on probation. I know some crafts have a year before they can transfer. Remember that you are new and you are supposed to be slow. Always drive carefully and do not get in an accident. If your boss is giving you grief remember to say "I am doing the best that I can". It will be better in a smaller office.

Just because you are paranoid does not mean that they are not out to get you
TomCat  
#15 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2019 4:26:54 PM(UTC)
TomCat

Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I can explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you.
QNirma  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 6:13:07 AM(UTC)
QNirma

Thank you all. I have an opportunity somewhere else for a 9=5 job. Is a dollar less than the USPS, but is Monday though Friday, so it will even out.

I think I will take, and since I have heard they would rehire you in the future, I would rather submit a resignation.

Plus I love the jamming! My type of music! ♪♫*¨*•.¸¸👍

MPE2009  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 7:26:21 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 477 time(s) in 367 post(s)
Thank you all. I have an opportunity somewhere else for a 9=5 job. Is a dollar less than the USPS, but is Monday though Friday, so it will even out.

I think I will take, and since I have heard they would rehire you in the future, I would rather submit a resignation.

RCA is the worst job in the world. I'd only wi***** on my worst enemy and then I'd still feel a tad bit guilty. As far as a post career goes, you're not missing out. Three decades later, I still hope that when I go in tonight, that they fire me. I know I'll find something else, it's just easier to stay.
QNirma  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 8:10:28 PM(UTC)
QNirma

lol, sorry about the typos, do not post on the rush.

OMG Three decades! Your body must be rock solid! I am so tired ... I had to use my vehicle today, and is not a RHD, but I was happy because I had AC. It was 101 in Texas, no telling how high the heat index was.
Randy1  
#19 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2019 3:47:59 AM(UTC)
Randy1

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 68 post(s)

That's a no brainer IMHO. Take the 9-5 job and don't look back. USPS management treats their employees as throw aways.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed