Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rmcd2377  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 7:53:42 AM(UTC)
rmcd2377

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Can anyone tell me why we’re not allowed to have a printout of our hours worked for the pay period (to make sure hours are all there and that everything is coded correctly) before checks are processed?
That was always SOP in my former line of work.

Now I’m told “No. you cannot review YOUR hours worked”

(I mean; that is not actually a quote. I was just told “No”)

Why is OUR own information not reviewable by US?

Just look at it afterwards. Bring in your paper stub. Ask for an adjustment.

And wait.

#CRRRRRRRAZYYYYY
(To me, at least)
thanks 1 user thanked rmcd2377 for this useful post.
Hannah Blecter on 8/14/2019(UTC)
Hannah Blecter  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:10:04 AM(UTC)
Hannah Blecter

Was thanked: 1248 time(s) in 855 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rmcd2377 Go to Quoted Post
Can anyone tell me why we’re not allowed to have a printout of our hours worked for the pay period (to make sure hours are all there and that everything is coded correctly) before checks are processed?

And wait.

#CRRRRRRRAZYYYYY
(To me, at least)

Preach!

However, in management's defense they are busy elsewhere costing the postal service money. They have to exert a lot of energy preventing carriers from working efficiently and happily, all the while screaming that the carriers are lazy, slow, and costing the USPS money.
rmcd2377  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 9:04:25 AM(UTC)
rmcd2377

🤣
Well, in my former life, I WAS the frazzled manager, trying to finish reports and attend time-wasting meetings, and field questions / requests / complaints from 50+ staff members. ... and doing payroll SUCKED... but I did it and posted it and then had people catching me to let me know I had coded them wrong or they were still missing a punch.

And 99% of the time, people were paid accurately. And it taught me to be more thorough and pay even closer attention when I finalized each pay period.

So, I’m having trouble wrapping my mind around the “No. you can’t see your hours”
And then seeing on liteblue “Oh hey, all my OT was coded to some job that earns $0/hr”
But even though this is Sunday...and you’ve caught the error....we can’t DO anything about it until your paper stub is mailed to your house. THEN awe can begin the tedium that is an adjustment. 😶
(Now, I think we can all safely surmise that the OT coded to $0/hr was no accident. But then there are times when maybe it was some innocuous error that messed up your paycheck)

🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

But why get ahead of these issues and resolve them before they’re even issues. THAT would be dumb.😶

Edited by user Wednesday, August 14, 2019 9:05:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ex-military  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 9:43:52 AM(UTC)
ex-military

Was thanked: 102 time(s) in 83 post(s)
1. Let's get one thing out of the way: Payroll information belongs to the agency, not the employee.
2. In every agency I have worked in, the employees have to verify the hours worked and certify that it is all correct, BEFORE payroll gets processed. Any corrections get made on the spot. After the employee signs off, then the manager has to sign off as well. Why is the USPS not doing this?
3. Why is USPS still mailing stubs to employees homes? Fed govt employees are mandated direct deposit as a condition of employment. LES can then be downloaded, printed, etc by the employees.

Just one more example of how the USPS loses billions every year.
postalvet  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 10:20:39 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2902 time(s) in 2294 post(s)

And wait.

#CRRRRRRRAZYYYYY
(To me, at least)

you could do a freedom of information act request.

the union could get copies by requesting them.

you could ask your supervisor to review your clock rings Saturday morning after day 14.

you could explain more here what you mean.

see there are lots of things you can do.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
postalvet  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 10:24:03 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Originally Posted by: ex-military Go to Quoted Post
1. Let's get one thing out of the way: Payroll information belongs to the agency, not the employee.says you and only you
2. In every agency I have worked in, the employees have to verify the hours worked and certify that it is all correct, BEFORE payroll gets processed. Any corrections get made on the spot. After the employee signs off, then the manager has to sign off as well. Why is the USPS not doing this?this is a management job and if it is not being completed it is on management
3. Why is USPS still mailing stubs to employees homes? because it is a stub and NOT a checkFed govt employees are mandated direct deposit as a condition of employment. the post office is not under this rule! LES can then be downloaded, printed, etc by the employees.

just one more reason why you should not be worried about what the post office does.

Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
MPE2009  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 2:46:32 PM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 500 time(s) in 387 post(s)

And wait.

#CRRRRRRRAZYYYYY
(To me, at least)

You are allowed to get a print out of your hours. However timekeeping data uploads to Eagan starting on Friday and once it uploads, it's too late to make any changes. Unless your manager can sit down and print out your clock rings immediately after your ET on Friday, there's no practical way to review your hours. You'd also have to have that manager sitting right there to immediately correct and input any changes they agreed with you on.

Postalvet, checking on Saturday is a waste of time if the hours have already uploaded on Friday to Eagan. When I come in on Friday nights, the tour 1 Saturday, our hours have already uploaded and are untouchable. If they weren't uploaded on Friday or early Saturday nobody would be seeing their earning statements on liteblue Sunday shortly after midnight. That's part of all those silly posts we get asking "why can't i see my paycheck yet?" on Sunday mornings.
rmcd2377  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 3:47:03 PM(UTC)
rmcd2377

Ahhhhhh.... ok now that’s a reason that makes sense ( I mean.... ish. Maybe they shouldn't upload until people can look it over and make sure it’s correct 🤷‍♀️
But that’s for another day.)

Thank you for explaining that. :)
postalvet  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 7:17:52 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Originally Posted by: MPE2009 Go to Quoted Post

Postalvet, checking on Saturday is a waste of time if the hours have already uploaded on Friday to Eagan. When I come in on Friday nights, the tour 1 Saturday, our hours have already uploaded and are untouchable. If they weren't uploaded on Friday or early Saturday nobody would be seeing their earning statements on liteblue Sunday shortly after midnight. That's part of all those silly posts we get asking "why can't i see my paycheck yet?" on Sunday mornings.

the rings only upload if there are no errors.

management has until Monday after day 14 to correct errors see page 13 below

https://www.nalc.org/wor...iting-of-Clock-Rings.pdf
ex-military  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 3:46:55 AM(UTC)
ex-military

Was thanked: 102 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Originally Posted by: postalvet Go to Quoted Post
1. Let's get one thing out of the way: Payroll information belongs to the agency, not the employee.says you and only you
2. In every agency I have worked in, the employees have to verify the hours worked and certify that it is all correct, BEFORE payroll gets processed. Any corrections get made on the spot. After the employee signs off, then the manager has to sign off as well. Why is the USPS not doing this?this is a management job and if it is not being completed it is on management
3. Why is USPS still mailing stubs to employees homes? because it is a stub and NOT a checkFed govt employees are mandated direct deposit as a condition of employment. the post office is not under this rule! LES can then be downloaded, printed, etc by the employees.

just one more reason why you should not be worried about what the post office does.

USPS loses over $2 billion in a QUARTER, and nobody is supposed to be concerned? HR and related issues are the biggest cost center in any business, and USPS HR is the biggest cluster F$#% in existence. Get real PostalVet. It seems you and your cronies are part of the problem.

MPE2009  
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 4:31:58 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 500 time(s) in 387 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MPE2009 Go to Quoted Post

the rings only upload if there are no errors.

management has until Monday after day 14 to correct errors see page 13 below

https://www.nalc.org/wor...iting-of-Clock-Rings.pdf

That's if there are errors in TACS which have to be corrected. So there'd first have to be an error in how the hours were recorded before the data would fail to upload. There's no such thing as a clock ring entry for overtime with no pay. So what the OP is having a problem with is hours not being properly recorded as overtime, if I'm understanding his post. Unless he's a rural carrier/RCA, the only way I see of his being screwed out of overtime due, is that the hours are not in tacs. So what kind of employee is it? RCA, rural, MHA, PSE, clerk, carrier? What kind of office does the OP work in, time card or electronic time clock? Is the OP swiping a badge? Turning in a 1260? Quite simply, how does the OP's time on the clock get entered? You have to ask the right questions and get the right details before you can give an accurate answer.
Malcolm1  
#12 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 2:05:35 AM(UTC)
Malcolm1

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 28 post(s)

USPS loses over $2 billion in a QUARTER, and nobody is supposed to be concerned? HR and related issues are the biggest cost center in any business, and USPS HR is the biggest cluster F$#% in existence. Get real PostalVet. It seems you and your cronies are part of the problem.

The USPS DOES NOT lose $2B a quarter ….. or even a year, for that matter. The truth is that the PO has shown operational profit each and every year since the 2008 recession.

The supposed losses are due to the onerous unpaid pre-funding mandate imposed by Congress in the 2006 PAEA (Act). This directive saddled the Service with an unattainable $5.2B annual debt to pay retirement benefits 50 years in the future. No other Government Agency or private sector company faces this impossible edict.

The Postal Service has defaulted, at least in part, practically every year. But even though it isn't an actual bill/debt its still considered red ink, even if unpaid.

M1
thanks 1 user thanked Malcolm1 for this useful post.
MPE2009 on 8/16/2019(UTC)
roger.d  
#13 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 2:58:45 AM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 777 time(s) in 606 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Malcolm1 Go to Quoted Post

The USPS DOES NOT lose $2B a quarter ….. or even a year, for that matter. The truth is that the PO has shown operational profit each and every year since the 2008 recession.

The supposed losses are due to the onerous unpaid pre-funding mandate imposed by Congress in the 2006 PAEA (Act). This directive saddled the Service with an unattainable $5.2B annual debt to pay retirement benefits 50 years in the future. No other Government Agency or private sector company faces this impossible edict.

The Postal Service has defaulted, at least in part, practically every year. But even though it isn't an actual bill/debt its still considered red ink, even if unpaid.

M1

Please use the correct term. The prefunding in for retiree health benefits. If you say "retirement benefits", people automatically think "pensions". The pension fund of the USPS is 100% funded
Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
thanks 1 user thanked roger.d for this useful post.
MPE2009 on 8/16/2019(UTC)
GordonG  
#14 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 5:20:17 AM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 1147 time(s) in 730 post(s)
Who remembers when Time and Attendance was a clerk job?

Flash reports?

I used to do those. After management stole that work that's when you had screw ups.

It's too important of a job to have someone who's constantly distracted (manager) doing it.
"Fear, not clemency, restrains the wicked."

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
Southernclerk  
#15 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 6:05:13 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I totally understand the frustration of wanting to have your paycheck correct.

However, I don't agree with the concept that all employees should have access to the report. I don't have a suggestion to improve on this issue other than if mgmt. cannot input time correctly constantly I would contact your union rep.

And request that the resolution not only be the correction of the pay BUT to have that employees information available to them for review and corrected (if needed) for all future time keeping.

There seems to be no punishment for repeat offenders in mgmt. in reporting time.

I have had several postmasters that reported incorrectly. But one in particular easily misreported my time for half a year sporadically. He would correct quickly, or he would correct three months out.
Guess how many employees he had to input time? One. Me.
Guess who was promoted to a larger office? the guy that couldn't do his job in the smaller office.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed