Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Leones  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2019 12:22:45 PM(UTC)
Leones

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi all, I have been reading many of these posts about different peoples experiences and difficulties in the hiring process. I am going into my senior year of college at UPenn studying Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics. Obviously a number of years to go before actually being able to apply for an SA position. I have met a few times with a recruiter already but, would love to hear opinions on the best way to create a strong application as I recognize I will be coming from a unique background. I am a high level collegiate track athlete and have just decided to use my 5th year of eligibility and as such will likely have my M.S. in MechE within the next 3 years. I am currently on track to pursue a professional career post-collegiately and I know that it will count toward the one year of work experience. My question is even after that should I pursue a job in a police department before starting to apply in order to diversify or should I just pick up an engineering job for a year or two prior to and while in the hiring process (if I am lucky enough to make it into the tract) or would having an advanced degree along with that professional athletics work experience still be a competitive application without doing further work prior to applying? This has been my dream job for many years so I would much rather be proactive than reactive.

Thanks!
AnotherGuy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2019 2:54:01 PM(UTC)
AnotherGuy

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Leones Go to Quoted Post
Hi all, I have been reading many of these posts about different peoples experiences and difficulties in the hiring process. I am going into my senior year of college at UPenn studying Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics. Obviously a number of years to go before actually being able to apply for an SA position. I have met a few times with a recruiter already but, would love to hear opinions on the best way to create a strong application as I recognize I will be coming from a unique background. I am a high level collegiate track athlete and have just decided to use my 5th year of eligibility and as such will likely have my M.S. in MechE within the next 3 years. I am currently on track to pursue a professional career post-collegiately and I know that it will count toward the one year of work experience. My question is even after that should I pursue a job in a police department before starting to apply in order to diversify or should I just pick up an engineering job for a year or two prior to and while in the hiring process (if I am lucky enough to make it into the tract) or would having an advanced degree along with that professional athletics work experience still be a competitive application without doing further work prior to applying? This has been my dream job for many years so I would much rather be proactive than reactive.

Thanks!

It does not matter as long as you can demonstrate that you work well under a tremendous amount of stress, and is able to work with different types of people on a daily basis. Public school teaching is an excellent choice, so Teach for America? Most highly skilled and educated individuals cannot talk to commoners due to lack of soft skills, and unfortunately, you need that for most investigative assignments.
Leones  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2019 3:31:58 PM(UTC)
Leones

United States

Ah well I hope I can draw on a few of the classes I've taken in order to develop those soft skills. I heard from the recruiter that was the most common issue for candidates with significant technical background. I took Negotiations and Conflict Resolution through Wharton and will be following up with the Advanced section of that this year along with a product design class that was focused on developing interviewing ability and concluded with a capstone project partnered with Skullcandy in order to determine market needs in the next 5-10 years. I don't see myself really looking to go into public school teaching as the recruiter told me to ensure that if you do decide to do work experience aside from athletics make sure it is something you could see a career panning out of. On the LE side I thought that might show a good compliment to the obvious academic stress of competing at a national level while attending an Ivy and I believe would allow access to applying through TRP? Could somebody with any experience with that side of the application elaborate?
AnotherGuy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2019 7:29:51 PM(UTC)
AnotherGuy

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Leones Go to Quoted Post
Ah well I hope I can draw on a few of the classes I've taken in order to develop those soft skills. I heard from the recruiter that was the most common issue for candidates with significant technical background. I took Negotiations and Conflict Resolution through Wharton and will be following up with the Advanced section of that this year along with a product design class that was focused on developing interviewing ability and concluded with a capstone project partnered with Skullcandy in order to determine market needs in the next 5-10 years. I don't see myself really looking to go into public school teaching as the recruiter told me to ensure that if you do decide to do work experience aside from athletics make sure it is something you could see a career panning out of. On the LE side I thought that might show a good compliment to the obvious academic stress of competing at a national level while attending an Ivy and I believe would allow access to applying through TRP? Could somebody with any experience with that side of the application elaborate?

Soft skill is something that can only be developed and demonstrated over time through real work experience, volunteer work, and not from textbooks. I met a couple of interesting people at the interview, a real estate agent, a flight attendant, a public school teacher, a civil engineer, a policeman, a veteran, a lawyer, a pharmaceutical rep, etc. I thought it was wonderful that they interviewed candidates from a wide range of fields.
thanks 1 user thanked AnotherGuy for this useful post.
Leones on 8/18/2019(UTC)
Leones  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 18, 2019 3:34:28 AM(UTC)
Leones

United States

Alright well maybe I will be able to show it somewhat through this opportunity with professional athletics as there's significant communication and people skills involved with that. I'm not quite sure what form of engineering work I could do in order to really build upon that if that's considered to be the weak point for all engineers. I guess I will just have to think on that and see what opportunities there might be. Thank you
QuietTenacity  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2019 4:26:58 AM(UTC)
QuietTenacity

United States

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 9 post(s)
It seems to me that the engineers who are project managers have to have a robust set of people skills. I'm not sure if there are entry level positions for that field, but if you could find one (and if you do well) it would definitely showcase soft skills & a solid ability to problem solve.
Zipliner  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2019 9:43:20 AM(UTC)
Zipliner

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Be who you are. You can't fake this process.

Work on personal skills that require communication. Job experience may get you those skills.

I think worrying about the resume and all of that stuff at this point, would be a waste of time. Live your life. Don't commit any crime. Stay away from drugs. Try to be responsible with finances while you are waiting to apply. Work a good job while you continue to train in your sport.

You will be okay.
Ph 1: 01/19
M&G: 02/19
Ph 2: 03/19-04/19
PFT: 06/19 (P)
COA: 06/19
SI: 07/19
Poly: 07/19
Med: 08/19
Pre-Q: 09/19
Q: 10/27
LadySA2018  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2019 1:16:51 PM(UTC)
LadySA2018

United States

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 71 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Zipliner Go to Quoted Post
Be who you are. You can't fake this process.

Work on personal skills that require communication. Job experience may get you those skills.

I think worrying about the resume and all of that stuff at this point, would be a waste of time. Live your life. Don't commit any crime. Stay away from drugs. Try to be responsible with finances while you are waiting to apply. Work a good job while you continue to train in your sport.

You will be okay.

This. This is the answer OP will not want to hear, but it really is the best answer. Pick a career you love because a job with the FBI is not guaranteed and if you pick a path because you think it is ideal to get in with the Bureau, you could be sorely disappointed and stuck for a long time. The FBI is hiring people from all backgrounds. There is no 'ideal' anymore. Do whatever makes you happy and when you have the experience you need, apply and see where it takes you. Seems like you also have a good number of years before you are disqualified by age, so use that time to build up your skills and experience organically.
App for SA: 10/31/17
BI started: 4/30/18
Pre Q PFT: 9/6/19
Q: 10/27/19
thanks 1 user thanked LadySA2018 for this useful post.
frankgonzalez on 8/20/2019(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed