Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Air Reserve Technicians

Air reserve technicians, commonly referred to as ARTs, are a nucleus of managers, planners and trainers who have knowledge and expertise to smooth Air Force Reserve Command (AFRC) units' transition from a peacetime to a wartime environment. They provide management continuity, equipment maintenance and training support to help keep their units combat ready.

Air reserve technicians carry dual status, working as full-time civil service employees for the Air Force and as military members in the same AFRC units where they work as civilians and performing the same job. A civil servant or public servant is a civilian career public sector employee working for a government department or agency. In their civilian role, air reserve technicians provide full-time support throughout the month for their units. In the AFRC, air reserve technicians participate with other reservists on weekends and annual active-duty tours.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Vincent96SR5  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2019 5:15:19 AM(UTC)
Vincent96SR5

Groups: Registered
United States

Anyone here current on March? Morale, etc? Been seeing ART vacancies pop up over the years and know that it’s a good base to be affiliated with. Just wanted some insight from current ARTs or other Reservists. Thank you
A29Wes  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 6:59:50 PM(UTC)
A29Wes

United States

I worked at March as an ART from 2007 to 2012. Not a bad place. I lived in the old base housing which is next to the base. They have a small commissary and BX about 1/4 mile away. So most days I just rode a bicycle to work. Not driving allowed me to max out my TSP deposits.

As far as the ART program is doing. Its on its last leg. Since the Reserve mandated the wearing of the uniform by civilian employees. And spent a decade in court. It has finally given up on getting everyone on board. So they are going AGR and Civil Service.

I would apply for every ART job you see. Get in the FERS system. Then transfer to a straight civilian job. Or if your aircraft maintenance. Just go to Edwards. They are always hiring off the street.
Vincent96SR5  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2019 5:54:28 AM(UTC)
Vincent96SR5

United States

Appreciate the feedback about March. Do you think the program will last? I’m in FERS already in another agency, but I miss the military structure. It’s not always greener grass in some agencies, but I think that’s common everywhere.
A29Wes  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2019 10:23:38 AM(UTC)
A29Wes

United States

If you are already a FERS employee. Don't take an ART job. Find a Traditional Reserve of Guard position. And work as much as you can. Try to get a compressed schedule and work your days off at the unit. Build up comp time and use Military and Annual leave to double dip a couple month a year.

Taking an ART job has the risk of losing both jobs. The best example is not passing Fit To Fit. As an ART you would lose both jobs if cant pass.
Vincent96SR5  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2019 12:25:23 PM(UTC)
Vincent96SR5

United States

Appreciate the info again, thank you!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed