Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.



Federal Employees Benefits Q &A

Do you have questions about your federal employee CSRS or FERS pension/annuity or federal employee retirement planning? Concerns about your Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) account or what about federal employee pay and leave issues?

Ask your question here.

You must Register before posting to this forum.
The Q&A forum is moderated by Ed Zurndorfer -- an expert on federal employee benefits -- and a Certified Financial Planner, chartered life underwriter and chartered financial consultant in Maryland.

Zurndorfer is also the author of several federal employee benefits guides published by Federal Employees News Digest.

Your question will be put into a message queue and submitted for review. We cannot guarantee that all questions will be answered, however any answered questions will appear below, and some will also be featured in our daily Federal Daily e-newsletter (Subscribe here). Federal Soup users should not submit replies to the questions posted, as we leave the replies for the moderator only. Any replies to questions other than the moderator will be deleted.

Please do not submit employee benefits questions to the webmaster or the forum moderator.

Note: FederalSoup.com has attempted to compile information that is as accurate and current as possible for federal employees. Federal policies, laws, regulations, statistics and addresses continually change. Therefore, no warranties are made as to the accuracy or completeness of the information presented in this column. If additional clarification or information is needed, it is suggested that competent and professional assistance be sought. Mr. Zurndorfer does not moderate other forums on FederalSoup and will not reply to general FederalSoup inquiries submitted in this Q&A forum.

Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2019 5:47:49 AM(UTC)

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/16/2017(UTC)
Posts: 5
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I joined federal service while I was on terminal leave and retiring from the Air Force. I was hired under VEOA and used my enlisted DD 214 as proof of eligibility. When I started the job I was still technically on active duty so I didn't have my retired DD 214. The HR took the three years on the enlisted DD 214 and credited my service comp date for leave so I started federal service with three years for leave accrual but my service comp date for retirement wasn't changed.

I transferred to another agency this year and their HR specialist stated the three years credited for leave comp date should be revoked unless I could prove credible service. I do have deployment time but not three years. I submitted my SF 813 to the Air Force but they sent it back without action because I didn't include award citations and/or travel vouchers to prove dates of service.

I do have the award citations but they are in storage and some may have been misplaced during my moves. I'm wondering if it's even worth fighting this. If my service comp date was adjusted by three years would that mean the federal government would recoup the extra two hours of leave earned for the first three years of service (156 hours total)? If so, that's be a big hit on my accrued leave. Or, will it just mean it'll take me three extra years to get to the eight hours leave per period? I'm estimating I have around 15 months of credible service for deployments; e.g., Operation Southern Watch, Operation Iraqi Freedom, etc. Or, can this preemptive action be grieved? Once I was granted the service comp date for leave I didn't do a SF 813 and now this is coming up seven years later. Thanks in advance for advice and answers.

Ed Zurndorfer  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2019 2:32:51 AM(UTC)
Ed Zurndorfer

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/10/2001(UTC)
Posts: 5,706

Was thanked: 153 time(s) in 142 post(s)
You should pursue this and get credit (for annual leave purposes) for the time that you were on active duty and serving in a war campaign. If this time amounted to three years, then your service computation date (SCD) for leave should be backdated three years.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

This page was generated in 0.116 seconds.