Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mgc  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2019 3:53:26 PM(UTC)
Mgc

Groups: Registered

Hi all,

Long time reader but first time poster; appreciate any advice and guidance you have to offer.

I am a current tenured CS GS11 FAO in a ladder GS11/12/13 position. At the time of my hiring I was told my portfolio would be one thing, but when I came on board a GS13 officer (same GS11/12/13 PD as mine) unexpectedly left and I was given his portfolio. I have been successfully handling his portfolio for seven months and received a positive mid-year review. I'll receive my promotion to a GS12 at the end of January.

At the same time, another GS13 (same GS11/12/13) colleague recently have left and we have five open positions on an nine person team. That includes with my team lead (supervisor), myself, and two contractors.

I have been given his portfolio to manage on top of my own until we hire additional officers. On top of that I have been regularly acting when my team lead (GS15) is out of the office.

My supervisor is supportive of promoting me to a GS13 and I also have a year of prior detail experience at the GS13 FAO level.

Unfortunately, HR has said that I don't meet the time in grade (TIG) requirements for a promotion or even a temporary promotion. They are saying that my prior detail experience is at the grade I was at (GS9) at the time I did the detail despite the fact I was executing a GS13 position. They suggested that my supervisor a)give me an award and/or b)give me GS11 work.

What are our options in a situation like this? Only myself and my team lead are able to do the work at this point. While I am fully capable of doing the work, I would like to at least have the experience credited toward my TIG if not an actual promotion.

Edited by user Sunday, August 25, 2019 3:54:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

djp  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2019 5:35:25 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 127 time(s) in 124 post(s)
If you had past13 experience, do you have this documented. Did you have prior GS 12 experience?

If not you have to wait your time to get to 13.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed