Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GWPDA  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2019 6:01:05 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 489 time(s) in 408 post(s)
Take the FBI job. There are 'interchange' agreements between the FBI and the GS which will allow you to move to another, non FBI job without much trouble. You will also acquire far more training and skills with the FBI than anywhere else. You really don't want to be involved with ICE.
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2019 2:43:23 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 967 time(s) in 770 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MoisLete Go to Quoted Post
When you say "don't want to be involved with ICE", do you mean because of the current political situation?
I used to work for a DHS component. From an EEO standpoint, I worked many complaints which were not in my component due to the fact my counterparts in the others were overwhelmed.

I personally would avoid TSA, CBP and ICE for any jobs (don't care if it is SES!!) because of what I know about the situations in those agencies no matter who is president.

The current political climate simply adds to the issues they have.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
GWPDA on 8/27/2019(UTC)
Jake1000  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2019 3:47:56 AM(UTC)
Jake1000

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Take the job that is closest to your home. You might make more at the furthest location. However, it will cost you more time & money to get there.

As far as ICE, I think they are pretty well funded with this CURRENT administration. I see MANY job opportunities on USA Jobs. Just my opinion.
Exit7A  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2019 2:59:17 PM(UTC)
Exit7A

United States

Was thanked: 155 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Another item to consider...security clearance. If you are planning to go into the IT field, I would recommend looking for positions that will sponsor a security clearance. Tons of jobs!!
That's all I got to say about that.
mallen  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2019 12:05:26 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jake1000 Go to Quoted Post
Take the job that is closest to your home. You might make more at the furthest location. However, it will cost you more time & money to get there.

As far as ICE, I think they are pretty well funded with this CURRENT administration. I see MANY job opportunities on USA Jobs. Just my opinion.

I know nothing about actually working for these two agencies other than working for the FBI looks very good on your resume. They have a lot of respect and prestige. Fair or not, ICE is an organization that sparks controversy. Its not like working for ICE isn't something to be proud of, and I certainly wouldn't say the controversy is such that you would not want to ever work there, or would deny working there, but by the overly simplistic calculus of which three letter acronym looks better heading up a section of your resume, FBI wins out hands down. (when they ask at an interview "Tell us about the role of integrity in the work place" you start off with "I worked for the FBI....." and it has a real impact. "I worked for Homeland Security works ok too", but it just doesnt have that gut feel to it.)

Certainly ICE has plenty of funding. And I too have noticed that there are many job opportunities. But I think thats is really not a pro or a con but comes out neutral without more information. If ICE is a great place to work, the many opportunities could mean great potential for your career to grow. If its not, then they could be a symptom of poor retention of employees. So using that to make a decision comes out a total wash. Without more information you cross both options off the list and look for some other factor to help you decide.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed