Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Relocating

Are you considering relocating your federal career - either by your choice or by Uncle Sam? There are practical issues and concerns to think about when deciding whether or not to relocate. Others have done it while still others have not. This forum will allow for all to offer their insight, post their questions, and help each other out.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Endless Summer  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 4, 2019 8:56:50 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 160 post(s)
In anticipation of relocating OCONUS I've been Doing some checking and I think I understand that the DoD will pay for an economy class ticket and I can upgrade at my own cost?

I'm facing a 15 hour flight and I'll gladly pay the extra out of my own pocket but I don't want to overcomplicate things. Has anyone done this?
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 4, 2019 10:22:08 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 967 time(s) in 770 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Endless Summer Go to Quoted Post
In anticipation of relocating OCONUS I've been Doing some checking and I think I understand that the DoD will pay for an economy class ticket and I can upgrade at my own cost?

I'm facing a 15 hour flight and I'll gladly pay the extra out of my own pocket but I don't want to overcomplicate things. Has anyone done this?
Yep, you can upgrade at your own cost (did this coming back from Korea when I was in the military, and a few times as a GS conus when the upgrade cost was low enough to be worth it). Best done at the airport (but you risk there not being an available seat to upgrade to), or possibly over the phone once your flight has been book via DTS (or whatever travel system you use).

Of course, if you have a medical condition that would be alleviated by the larger seat, etc, this would be a reasonable accommodation under the Rehab Act. (medical documentation needed!)

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
Endless Summer on 9/5/2019(UTC)
djp  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 4, 2019 5:39:12 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 127 time(s) in 124 post(s)
Yes you can. Just like you can change your flight if needed.

thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Endless Summer on 9/5/2019(UTC)
Endless Summer  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 5, 2019 3:52:53 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Thanks gang,

I was not looking forward to that pat of my new adventure.
FS0201  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 5, 2019 5:36:29 AM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 277 time(s) in 241 post(s)
I did it online a couple times (comfort + or premium seat) when flying to Korea, easy enough.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
frizell  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 10:20:04 AM(UTC)

I have hear from a co-worker the travel regulation have recently changed (not confirmed yet) in regardes to PCS to OCONUS. The reulation is requiring GS empolyees to utilize military flights as primary mode vice the commercial flight but you guys are right if you are authorized for commercial flight you could upgrade on your own for a business class. BTW can anyone help me confirm the travel regulation change?
FatHappyCat  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2019 1:14:36 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 106 time(s) in 91 post(s)
Outside of going to a combat zone the government can’t require you to take government plane.

What they can do is reimburse you up to the cost of what the government cost would be. Case in pointy, i PCSed recently from japan to Germany. The government cost was about $1300 flying from Tokyo to conus and then taking rotator to Germany with a travel time of 26 hours. I opted to fly direct from Tokyo to Frankfurt and paid out of pocket everything above the $1300 I would be authorized.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed