Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RetArm  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 6, 2019 7:07:33 AM(UTC)
RetArm

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi, Looking for some clarity on what I might expect during and after a temporary promotion.

Here are the details.
I’m a GS-12 step 2 with 52 weeks completed.
The position I’m looking at is listed as a GS-13 Temporary / Competitive.

Notes on the job announcement;
This position is obligated and will be filled on a Temporary basis with provisions to be made permanent without further competition.

This position is obligated. An obligated position is one to which an employee has statutory restoration rights based on active military service, compensable injury or disability when fully recovered, return rights based on having served an overseas tour(s), and may also cover employees who have been on extended leave without pay under certain circumstances. During the obligation period, the position may be filled on a temporary or permanent basis. The selected employee is required to sign an agreement acknowledging that (s)he is aware of the obligation and accepts the fact that (s)he may be displaced under reduction in force procedures at a later time.

If you are a current Army employee, this position will be filled from employees eligible for temporary promotion or temporary reassignment. The
position is temporary not-to-exceed 1 year and may be extended up to the maximum time of 5 years. This position is temporary and may be made
permanent without further competition for current Army employees only.

So, as I understand it a TEMPORARY COMPETITIVE 1. gives me the opportunity to be made permanent without further competition. 2. If not extended, I’d be guaranteed a return to as near as possible my former GS-12 position. 3. Time in grade , vacation, retirement, etc continue to accrue as it is now.

Am incorrect in the 3 assumptions above?
What else am I missing?
The position is in the same building I currently work in as a 12.
Sign an agreement as aware of obligation and may be displaced???

RetArm  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 6, 2019 7:22:06 AM(UTC)
RetArm

United States

Adding this great info from a previous post by HR Bubba for informational purposes;

For temporary, the rules:

1. Initial appointment up to 1 year
2. May be extended to a maximum of 3 years
3. Does not have any provisions to be converted to a permanent appointment
4. No or limited benefits
5. Cannot be used as "status" to apply to Merit Promotion announcements (aka, internal or status). Career tenure is 0.

For term, the rules:

1. Initial appointment to last more than 1 year
2. May be extended to a maximum of 6 years
3. May be converted to permanent under certain circumstances
4. Has all of the same benefits as a permanent appoint
5. Cannot be used as "status" to apply to Merit Promotion announcements (aka, internal or status). Career tenure is 3.

For temporary promotions/reassignments (Competitive), the rules:

1. Initial appointment any increment up to 5 years
2. May be extended up to a maximum of 5 years
3. May be converted to permanent at any time
4. Typically, has return rights to old position in case the temporary assignment ends.
5. Has full benefits
6. Can be used as "status" to apply to Merit Promotion announcements (aka, internal or status). Career tenure is either 1 or 2.
Endless Summer  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 6, 2019 8:07:00 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 160 post(s)
I don't see a problem IF you are guaranteed return rights. That's a huge and very important if. I'd want that in an ironclad written guarantee.

good luck.
GWPDA  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 7, 2019 10:23:24 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 489 time(s) in 408 post(s)
This is all very elaborate and far exceeds 'normal' Army procedure. Can you say what part of Big Army is offering this?
frankgonzalez  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2019 3:14:39 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 967 time(s) in 770 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RetArm Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Looking for some clarity on what I might expect during and after a temporary promotion.

Here are the details.
I’m a GS-12 step 2 with 52 weeks completed.
The position I’m looking at is listed as a GS-13 Temporary / Competitive.

Notes on the job announcement;
This position is obligated and will be filled on a Temporary basis with provisions to be made permanent without further competition.

This position is obligated. An obligated position is one to which an employee has statutory restoration rights based on active military service, compensable injury or disability when fully recovered, return rights based on having served an overseas tour(s), and may also cover employees who have been on extended leave without pay under certain circumstances. During the obligation period, the position may be filled on a temporary or permanent basis. The selected employee is required to sign an agreement acknowledging that (s)he is aware of the obligation and accepts the fact that (s)he may be displaced under reduction in force procedures at a later time.

If you are a current Army employee, this position will be filled from employees eligible for temporary promotion or temporary reassignment. The
position is temporary not-to-exceed 1 year and may be extended up to the maximum time of 5 years. This position is temporary and may be made
permanent without further competition for current Army employees only.

So, as I understand it a TEMPORARY COMPETITIVE 1. gives me the opportunity to be made permanent without further competition. 2. If not extended, I’d be guaranteed a return to as near as possible my former GS-12 position. 3. Time in grade , vacation, retirement, etc continue to accrue as it is now.

Am incorrect in the 3 assumptions above?
What else am I missing?
The position is in the same building I currently work in as a 12.
Sign an agreement as aware of obligation and may be displaced???

Based on what you posted, I don't see a guarantee of a return to your former position. Get that in writing (if selected), then you should be fine. looks like the incumbent took an overseas assignment (based on the NTE 5 years after which, their return rights expire).

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
HR Bubba  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2019 7:56:21 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 193 post(s)
Unless the rules have changed very recently, the process with regard to return rights is as follows:

If both the gaining and losing organizations are serviced by the same CPAC, then administrative return rights are automatically granted back to the original position.

If the gaining/losing organizations are serviced by separate CPACs, then one or the other organization has to agree to extend return rights/placement rights should the temporary promotion/reassignment end (ideally, this should be accomplished before a job offer is extended). In this instance, it is unlikely that the gaining organization will authorize placement rights since they are recruiting as a temporary vice permanent in the first place. This means it is up to the losing organization to extend return rights and they may not be too thrilled about losing an employee (potentially permanently) and having to deal with back filling their position while they are temporarily assigned. If neither organization agrees to extend return rights/placement rights, then no offer will be extended or the offer will be rescinded if already offered.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed