Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Retirees

For those approaching retirement as well as the currently already retired, here is a forum to share ideas and thoughts and exchange questions and answers.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

To maximize your retirement, we also suggest you read "Retired Federal Employees Almanac".

(Reminder: soliciting of services is not allowed on this site.)

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
icanzz  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2019 6:09:08 AM(UTC)
icanzz

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I am retired military.

Do civilian employees receive a retirement physical for disability rating purposes? Military that retire after 20 years or more and receive a VA disability rating of 50% or higher receive both full military retirement and VA payment. I thought I read that one of the reasons we receive this is because this is how it has always worked for Civilian workforce.
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2019 8:25:05 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 967 time(s) in 770 post(s)
Originally Posted by: icanzz Go to Quoted Post
I am retired military.

Do civilian employees receive a retirement physical for disability rating purposes? Military that retire after 20 years or more and receive a VA disability rating of 50% or higher receive both full military retirement and VA payment. I thought I read that one of the reasons we receive this is because this is how it has always worked for Civilian workforce.
Nope...whoever told you that was blowing smoke.

The concurrent receipt of VA disability payments and mil retired pay is a fairly recent thing. The issue is the two are funded separately, and Congress intervened, correctly pointing out we earned the retired pay, AND deserve to be compensated for any disability created by our service.

Civil service disability retirement isn't even comparable to VA disability payments. The former pays you until you are eligible for full retirement, and then you get switched over calculating your annuity as if you had not left. You get medically retired from the military...that's it. No recalculating when you hit 20 years from the time you entered active duty, etc.

Some reading...https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R40589.pdf

Edited by user Monday, September 9, 2019 8:26:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
icanzz  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2019 10:41:48 AM(UTC)
icanzz

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: icanzz Go to Quoted Post
I am retired military.

Nope...whoever told you that was blowing smoke.

The concurrent receipt of VA disability payments and mil retired pay is a fairly recent thing. The issue is the two are funded separately, and Congress intervened, correctly pointing out we earned the retired pay, AND deserve to be compensated for any disability created by our service.

Civil service disability retirement isn't even comparable to VA disability payments. The former pays you until you are eligible for full retirement, and then you get switched over calculating your annuity as if you had not left. You get medically retired from the military...that's it. No recalculating when you hit 20 years from the time you entered active duty, etc.

Some reading...https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R40589.pdf

Yeah, after going thru FERS OPM DR processes I can see that smoke - in hindsight. Crazy how long I carried that bad info around with me.

Not directly related to my question but...Some reading: https://www.opm.gov/reti...rsfers-handbook/c102.pdf
Rss Feed  Atom Feed