Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Financial Discussion

It is always wise to have a secure financial foundation. Here is a place to ask questions, exchange ideas and share information on how to make the most of your money.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mike M  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2019 6:19:57 AM(UTC)
Mike M

Groups: Registered
United States

I have a similar question to what was posted earlier about the highest previous rate.

I will be accepting a GS position shortly and they are basing my step on the pay I received in my last job as a WG-10 step 5. However, before that, I was a WG-12 step 4 (yes I took a pay cut going from the 12 to a 10) and I'm wondering is the highest previous rate based on your immediate last position or any position?

Phrased another way, are the correct to start me out based on my WG10 step 5 or should it be based on my older WG12 step 4?

Thanks a lot,
Mike
TheRealOrange  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2019 6:54:40 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 135 time(s) in 117 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mike M Go to Quoted Post
I have a similar question to what was posted earlier about the highest previous rate.

I will be accepting a GS position shortly and they are basing my step on the pay I received in my last job as a WG-10 step 5. However, before that, I was a WG-12 step 4 (yes I took a pay cut going from the 12 to a 10) and I'm wondering is the highest previous rate based on your immediate last position or any position?

Phrased another way, are the correct to start me out based on my WG10 step 5 or should it be based on my older WG12 step 4?

Thanks a lot,
Mike

I am unsure when agencies are permitted to use the HPR, but OPM indicates that the HPR is: "The highest rate of basic pay previously received by an individual while employed in a civilian position in any part of the Federal Government (including service with the government of the District of Columbia for employees first employed by that government before October 1, 1987), without regard to whether that position was under the GS pay system." So, I don't think it has to based on the most recent job. Again, I am not sure that the agency is even required to use the HPR, so that might also be worth checking. It appears to be discretionary, not mandatory.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed