Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Blide  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2019 3:26:28 PM(UTC)
Blide

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I've been at my agency for about 3 and a half years now, and in my current position for 2 years. Recently, I got my GS-13 and have been pondering what's next. I like my agency and my current job for the most part but it honestly makes me a bit anxious to think about being stuck there for decades like some of my coworkers. Despite being a federal employee, part of me still feels I should still move jobs every few years so my career doesn't stagnate. My background and position are rather niche but are perfectly suited to the agency I'm at. However, there are a few positions at other agencies that are well suited to my background. The subject area and regulations I'd be operating under would be different at another agency but I feel this could provide a valuable new perspective.

So my question is - Is there any real professional benefit to getting experience at another agency? Will it allow for more opportunity for mobility and perhaps advancement? Or is it better to embrace what I have now and not worry about it? There's still a lot I can still learn where I'm at now.

Edited by user Tuesday, September 17, 2019 3:29:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nembamike  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2019 4:45:27 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 208 time(s) in 187 post(s)
The question to ask is does this move enhance by resume? To move from one agency to another doing the same job adds no value to yourself to a selecting official. Are you adding skills, responsibilities, duties, etc. by moving to this job? It doesn't hurt to move around for sure but the grass is not always greener on the other side. Good luck.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Blide on 9/27/2019(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed