Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

8 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tpr6701  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2019 1:59:29 PM(UTC)
Tpr6701

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 19 post(s)
There was thread on this about 10 years ago and I figured we are due for a new one.

Those who have gone through Quantico or are currently in Quantico, could you shed some light on how the life is there for us future NATs?

- I know there is a list of items to bring with provided but which items did you end up needing and which items you didn’t?
- Beside the list of items, did you wish you brought certain items to help you there? If so, what were they?
- Can we bring our own laptop or desktop computer?
- Is there enough free time relax in the dorms at night, play your guitar, FaceTime family, play a computer game, etc? Or is it constant homework and time to hit he bed?
- Is there a lights out time or is it relaxed?
- how is the grooming standards? I have sideburns but not extending below my ear opening, would that be acceptable?
- can you bring coffee or other drinks to the classroom during classes?
- how is the PT life?
- how is the gym? Is there enough time to workout everyday?
- how is the food? Can one follow a clean diet there?
- what kind of off duty activities are available for NATs?
- is it hassle to have your personal vehicle there? (I plan on driving mine there)
- any other essential info you can share.

Thank you!
thanks 6 users thanked Tpr6701 for this useful post.
1995JeepCherokee on 9/25/2019(UTC), dmiller23462 on 9/25/2019(UTC), LadySA2018 on 9/27/2019(UTC), Imppriss on 9/27/2019(UTC), CLARK5 on 10/11/2019(UTC), Destined4success32 on 11/12/2019(UTC)
1995JeepCherokee  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2019 2:44:33 PM(UTC)
1995JeepCherokee

United States

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Great post! Looking forward to hearing responses.

Re: grooming I feel like I remembered reading something that implied my ever-expanding handlebar mustache would have to go. Bummer. Should be pretty big by the Q with my continual procrastination on the PFT.
thanks 1 user thanked 1995JeepCherokee for this useful post.
Tpr6701 on 9/25/2019(UTC)
emaichbe03  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2019 5:04:49 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 146 time(s) in 98 post(s)
- I know there is a list of items to bring with provided but which items did you end up needing and which items you didn’t?

the list is huge, so it's hard to address in generalities. best to under-buy rather than over-buy. there is a walmart right outside of the base. you can buy the stuff once you know for sure you need it. otherwise, buy the clothing on the list and use your discretion on the supplies.

- Beside the list of items, did you wish you brought certain items to help you there? If so, what were they?

this is going to be personal preference. if you have creature comforts at home, bring those along. slippers, your pillow, maybe a google chromecast. you will see that the dorms are a wasteland of temporary purchases. people buy coffee machines and leave them there after they graduate. some rooms have mini-fridges that former NATs bought and just left behind. usually, you can go to the dorms when the most senior class is set to graduate and pillage their leftovers like a garbage picker.

not really enough room for a desktop, but yes, you can bring your own laptop. you can bring whatever media/entertainment devices that you and your roommate can tolerate.

- Is there enough free time relax in the dorms at night, play your guitar, FaceTime family, play a computer game, etc? Or is it constant homework and time to hit he bed?

yes, there is enough time. but, caveat to say, if you never shot, or never did any type of martial arts, or don't know any swat-style tactics, or never studied law, then there's gonna be sh*t to practice at night. of course, you can just not practice and squeak by, but that's your call. and if you've been through a LEO academy before, then it will probably mean you will have more free time due to having practiced all of the above before.

it's relaxed. but if you catch a roommate that likes to stay up late, you have to troubleshoot that your own way. ear plugs (silicone) and an eye mask may help save your relationship. i think technically there is a quiet time, like post 10pm, but not lights out.

- how is the grooming standards? I have sideburns but not extending below my ear opening, would that be acceptable?

grooming standards is that you are expected to be clean shaven every day and have a normal hair cut. some people get medical waivers on shaving due to "skin conditions". now, i know that there are some people who legitimately have skin conditions. but dont be the guy who fakes a waiver so they dont have to shave. if you do, you're a lazy scum bag. your sideburns sound fine.

yes, but the container has to be spill proof.

- how is the PT life?

changes every year. heard lately it's harder than it used to be. the most complaints came from defensive tactics.

there's some time. but some people are legitimately going to have to practice shooting a lot, or tactics, or study law. almost everyone has some weakness. if you're motivated, you can find time for the gym. but it will come at the cost of something else that you are actually being graded on.

lots of choices. yes you can eat clean. but the temptation is great.

whatever you want and feel like spending. people go into DC and stay the whole weekend, for example. many trips to the movie theater. just don't get in trouble.

- is it hassle to have your personal vehicle there? (I plan on driving mine there)

not at all.

don't be a dick, don't be cliquey, and try not to go crazy.
thanks 6 users thanked for this useful post.
dmiller23462 on 9/25/2019(UTC), Tpr6701 on 9/25/2019(UTC), gsmaciel on 9/26/2019(UTC), Imppriss on 9/27/2019(UTC), BuckLou on 10/9/2019(UTC), Destined4success32 on 11/12/2019(UTC)
Tpr6701  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2019 5:43:55 PM(UTC)
Tpr6701

United States

Originally Posted by: emaichbe03 Go to Quoted Post

the list is huge, so it's hard to address in generalities. best to under-buy rather than over-buy. there is a walmart right outside of the base. you can buy the stuff once you know for sure you need it. otherwise, buy the clothing on the list and use your discretion on the supplies.

this is going to be personal preference. if you have creature comforts at home, bring those along. slippers, your pillow, maybe a google chromecast. you will see that the dorms are a wasteland of temporary purchases. people buy coffee machines and leave them there after they graduate. some rooms have mini-fridges that former NATs bought and just left behind. usually, you can go to the dorms when the most senior class is set to graduate and pillage their leftovers like a garbage picker.

not really enough room for a desktop, but yes, you can bring your own laptop. you can bring whatever media/entertainment devices that you and your roommate can tolerate.

yes, there is enough time. but, caveat to say, if you never shot, or never did any type of martial arts, or don't know any swat-style tactics, or never studied law, then there's gonna be sh*t to practice at night. of course, you can just not practice and squeak by, but that's your call. and if you've been through a LEO academy before, then it will probably mean you will have more free time due to having practiced all of the above before.

it's relaxed. but if you catch a roommate that likes to stay up late, you have to troubleshoot that your own way. ear plugs (silicone) and an eye mask may help save your relationship. i think technically there is a quiet time, like post 10pm, but not lights out.

grooming standards is that you are expected to be clean shaven every day and have a normal hair cut. some people get medical waivers on shaving due to "skin conditions". now, i know that there are some people who legitimately have skin conditions. but dont be the guy who fakes a waiver so they dont have to shave. if you do, you're a lazy scum bag. your sideburns sound fine.

yes, but the container has to be spill proof.

- how is the PT life?

changes every year. heard lately it's harder than it used to be. the most complaints came from defensive tactics.

there's some time. but some people are legitimately going to have to practice shooting a lot, or tactics, or study law. almost everyone has some weakness. if you're motivated, you can find time for the gym. but it will come at the cost of something else that you are actually being graded on.

lots of choices. yes you can eat clean. but the temptation is great.

whatever you want and feel like spending. people go into DC and stay the whole weekend, for example. many trips to the movie theater. just don't get in trouble.

not at all.

don't be a dick, don't be cliquey, and try not to go crazy.

Thanks a lot buddy! Exactly what I was looking for.

So how’s the treatment of NATs? Is it like a boot camp? I have gone through the Illinois State Police academy, a complete copy cat of marine corps boot camp but twice as long (6 months) and the whole experience sucked worse than anything I have ever experienced but made it through. 95 of us started 61 survived... needless to say, treatment was terrible till the last day.. how is it at the quantico?

emaichbe03  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2019 5:47:07 PM(UTC)

It’s not like that.

It’s an academy for criminal investigators not patrol officers. That’s not a knock on either.
RMart3  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2019 6:49:44 PM(UTC)
RMart3

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
PT is mandatory on Mondays, Wednesday, and Fridays at 6 AM. It’s “boot camp style” without the yelling and little discipline except for a couple knuckle push-ups here and there.
App - 6/18
P1 - 8/18
M&G - 8/18
P2 - 10/18
PFT - 2/19
PSI - 3/19
Poly/Med/BI - 4/19
Pre-Q PFT - 7/19
Q - 9/19
Graduated - 2/20
App2018licant  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2019 2:31:54 AM(UTC)
App2018licant

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Great post!

Any long runs during PT? Trying to get gauge what distance a candidate should build up to before Q.

Can a candidate get permission to leave the academy for a few hours if they have a necessary medical appointment?

Is it common for people to get dropped due to firearms?
Applied: 12/2018
Background: 6/2019
emaichbe03  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2019 4:57:03 AM(UTC)

We never had to do long runs and our Directors run was cancelled. The Directors run might be 3 miles, so I’d be comfortable doing that in 25 minutes or less.

I don’t understand the medical question. The evenings are yours so go to any appointment you want. If you’re asking can you miss a morning of classes for a doctors appt then the answer is most likely nfw.

The firearms instructors are some of the best in the world. I’m not going to give you pass/fail rates. But if you can’t pass with the instruction you get and the amount of rounds you shoot, you prolly shouldn’t be carrying a gun.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
App2018licant on 9/26/2019(UTC)
Hampton121  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2019 5:03:48 AM(UTC)
Hampton121

United States

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 48 post(s)
It said that you also train with Intelligence analyst in what aspect do you train with them?
App2018licant  
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2019 5:04:53 AM(UTC)
App2018licant

United States

We never had to do long runs and our Directors run was cancelled. The Directors run might be 3 miles, so I’d be comfortable doing that in 25 minutes or less.

I don’t understand the medical question. The evenings are yours so go to any appointment you want. If you’re asking can you miss a morning of classes for a doctors appt then the answer is most likely nfw.

The firearms instructors are some of the best in the world. I’m not going to give you pass/fail rates. But if you can’t pass with the instruction you get and the amount of rounds you shoot, you prolly shouldn’t be carrying a gun.

Thanks! Appreciate the response. I ask the medical questions because I have to get an allergy shot every 8 weeks. It's tough to find a doctors office that is open late or on the weekends. If I end up getting the call, I'll need to figure something out.

Applied: 12/2018
Background: 6/2019
emaichbe03  
#11 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2019 5:28:16 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Hampton121 Go to Quoted Post
It said that you also train with Intelligence analyst in what aspect do you train with them?

They sit next to you in class
Hampton121  
#12 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2019 5:46:59 AM(UTC)
Hampton121

United States

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hampton121 Go to Quoted Post

They sit next to you in class

Oh wow i was thinking they shot guns with u and did defense tactics stuff like that.
emaichbe03  
#13 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2019 5:52:10 AM(UTC)

Lol

Let’s put it this way. The NIATs aren’t even allowed to run.
Zipliner  
#14 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2019 7:06:53 AM(UTC)
Zipliner

United States

Are the weekends free? Can you go to the gun range and practice on the weekends?

I heard you move dorms half way thur into separate rooms.
Ph 1: 01/19
M&G: 02/19
Ph 2: 03/19-04/19
PFT: 06/19 (P)
COA: 06/19
SI: 07/19
Poly: 07/19
Med: 08/19
Pre-Q: 09/19
Q: 10/27
emaichbe03  
#15 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2019 7:14:39 AM(UTC)

I say it tongue in check, kinda. NATs have to run if going outside to another building. However, if the NATs and the NIATs are going outside to another building, there’s no running. Thus the NIATs not being allowed to run.

The NIATs do purely acadmeic classes. They don’t do DT or anything else. They’re intel.

I think technically NIATs aren’t allowed to workout at the gym. But that’s not enforced.
emaichbe03  
#16 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2019 7:55:14 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Zipliner Go to Quoted Post
Are the weekends free? Can you go to the gun range and practice on the weekends?

I heard you move dorms half way thur into separate rooms.

Weekends are free. You can go to a private gun range off base and rent a gun and practice.

The dorm situation depends on occupancy. The dorms you are supposed to stay in are double occupancy. There are other single occupancy dorms but that’s for the National Academy folks.

If you’ve got 3 classes in Quantico at the same time, you may stay in the single occupancy dorms until the senior most class graduates. That’s like 2 weeks.
CWilliams81  
#17 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2019 10:18:28 AM(UTC)
CWilliams81

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I think technically NIATs aren’t allowed to workout at the gym. But that’s not enforced.

If this were to ever be enforced, are there other gyms elsewhere on Quantico that an IA could drive to and use?

emaichbe03  
#18 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2019 10:43:25 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: CWilliams81 Go to Quoted Post

If this were to ever be enforced, are there other gyms elsewhere on Quantico that an IA could drive to and use?

No.

It’s nearly impossible to enforce. And no one would care to. I’m just saying there was RUMINT that NIATs weren’t supposed to use the gym. NIATs still used the gym.
Tpr6701  
#19 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2019 11:41:19 AM(UTC)
Tpr6701

United States

Thanks a lot for your contributions emaichbe! Great info!

This will be my 3rd academy. I have done local (5 months) then I did state (6 months) and now time to do a federal one. I m not looking forward to getting sprayed in the face again., this will be my 5th.. and it never gets easier
roadtoq  
#20 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2019 1:39:08 PM(UTC)
roadtoq

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CWilliams81 Go to Quoted Post

No.

It’s nearly impossible to enforce. And no one would care to. I’m just saying there was RUMINT that NIATs weren’t supposed to use the gym. NIATs still used the gym.

In 2017, during "business hours" trainees (NATs/NIATs/SOSs) are not allowed to use the gym unless in PT uniforms- NIATs/SOSs aren't issued PT uniforms (and cannot buy them), therefore they can't use it at all during those times. ...but there really isn't more than the occasional 1 hour early release during which that is even possible, so it shouldn't be an issue for most. Mornings/evenings/weekends are fair game- though MWF typically only NATs can use whatever facility is being used for that morning's PT.

The rest of the time anyone can use the gym, and you'll often find trainees, visiting executives, employees back at Quantico for other training, etc., using the facilities. At least that's how things rolled in 2017 :)
thanks 2 users thanked roadtoq for this useful post.
CWilliams81 on 9/27/2019(UTC), QuietTenacity on 10/11/2019(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed