Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability (Rehabilitation Act)

Post your thoughts and opinions here about disability-related news topics. Members can exchange their experiences and information so to help others navigate the different programs and services available.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hank6285  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 2, 2019 10:11:02 AM(UTC)
Hank6285

Groups: Registered

Does the Time In Grade requirements apply when applying for a job that is open competitively, Also Open to Schedule A applicants and is also a Merit Promotion announcement? If time in grade DOES NOT apply, where can I find these rules/requirements?
Thanks for the help in advance!
TheRealOrange  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 3, 2019 4:10:28 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hank6285 Go to Quoted Post
Does the Time In Grade requirements apply when applying for a job that is open competitively, Also Open to Schedule A applicants and is also a Merit Promotion announcement? If time in grade DOES NOT apply, where can I find these rules/requirements?
Thanks for the help in advance!

According to 5 CFR § 300.603, time-in-grade "applies to advancement to a General Schedule position in the competitive service by any individual who within the previous 52 weeks held a General Schedule position under nontemporary appointment in the competitive or excepted service in the executive branch, unless excluded by paragraph (b) of this section." Paragraph b provides that appointment based on selection from a competitive examination register of eligibles or under a direct hire authority, and noncompetitive appointment based on a special authority in law or Executive order (but not including transfer and reinstatement) made in accordance with all requirements applicable to new appointments under that authority," are excluded. Therefore, it is my understanding that time-in-grade does not apply to excepted service appointments based on the Schedule A appointment authority. Further, Federal register information I have seen indicates that the time-in-grade restriction does not apply to any excepted service GS employees, although individual agencies can, at their discretion, require time-in-grade for their excepted service employees.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed