Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Retirement Planning

Whether you are close to federal employee retirement or just starting out in your career, this is the place to share ideas with your federal colleagues on creating a secure financial foundation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Luke101  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 3, 2019 7:43:32 AM(UTC)
Luke101

Groups: Registered

On TV I’ve seen people scarred to do things in fear their retirement can be taken. In real life can you list some examples of when retirement accounts are taken
TheRealOrange  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 3, 2019 8:00:16 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 137 time(s) in 119 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Luke101 Go to Quoted Post
On TV I’ve seen people scarred to do things in fear their retirement can be taken. In real life can you list some examples of when retirement accounts are taken

Under the current state of the law, it is extremely difficult to lose one's federal pension. The primary way to lose your pension is to be convicted of a crime against the national security of the United States (5 USC Section 8312). As an example, the statute includes things like gathering or delivering defense information to aid a foreign government, the disclosure of classified information, espionage, sabotage against the U.S., advocating the overthrow of the U.S. government, harboring or concealing the enemy, and activities to harm the U.S. armed forces during war. Not many retired federal employees fall into those categories. There is also pending legislation that would would block convicted sex offenders from receiving federal pensions. I am unsure where that proposal stands. But, unless you are convicted of some very serious and specific crimes, your pension cannot be taken from you as the law currently exists. So, most federal employees and retirees are not at risk.
The HalfBreed  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2019 5:30:01 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 27 post(s)
In addition, you have to become Qualified to receive your retirement. Those rules I'm sure you're aware of.
RETIRED 12/19/2012 @ age 57
Good Bye Tension...Hello Pension !
Rss Feed  Atom Feed