Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
The_Other_Applicant  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2019 9:18:54 AM(UTC)
The_Other_Applicant

Groups: Registered

Hello to all,
Newbie here.
I am posting if there is anyone in the process for language analyst position? Recently hired or still in the process?

Thanks,
>
The_Other_Applicant  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2019 8:30:07 PM(UTC)
The_Other_Applicant

Of all the positions/openings at NSA, the one I applied for seems to take the longest, and by longest I mean years. :)
Here is my timeline:

Applied: Jan 2018
Phone Interview: April 2018
In-person Interview: May 2018
Language Testing: June 2018
CJO: July 2018
SF-86 Submitted: Sept 2018

So in total 22 months, and not even a poly or psych, that got to be a record. Nothing since then, and by noting I mean zero, zip, zilch, nada.
The only positive so far is the great response time of my recruiter,and always replying with a smile. :)

>
Dingo1  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2019 5:28:25 AM(UTC)
Dingo1

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Had my poly (passed) no psych evaluation. Anyone else have this experience? Will I be brought back just for psych? Also please give details on psych evaluation please
thanks 1 user thanked Dingo1 for this useful post.
The_Other_Applicant on 10/8/2019(UTC)
curious cows  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2019 6:06:11 AM(UTC)
curious cows

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: The_Other_Applicant Go to Quoted Post
Of all the positions/openings at NSA, the one I applied for seems to take the longest, and by longest I mean years. :)
Here is my timeline:

Applied: Jan 2018
Phone Interview: April 2018
In-person Interview: May 2018
Language Testing: June 2018
CJO: July 2018
SF-86 Submitted: Sept 2018

So in total 22 months, and not even a poly or psych, that got to be a record. Nothing since then, and by noting I mean zero, zip, zilch, nada.
The only positive so far is the great response time of my recruiter,and always replying with a smile. :)

>

I had a pretty long wait as well and have pretty similar timelines! I submitted my SF-86 in Aug 2018 and didn't hear anything whatsoever until late June this year. If you have foreign relatives or have traveled extensively and didn't give much details on foreign contacts/places, usually that makes the investigations last quite a bit longer. Unfortunately, all you can do is hang in there until you're contacted by your BI which will most likely be via phone call.
thanks 1 user thanked curious cows for this useful post.
The_Other_Applicant on 10/8/2019(UTC)
The_Other_Applicant  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2019 6:18:17 AM(UTC)
The_Other_Applicant

@ curious cows, Thanks for the info. Yes, that seems to be the case, with most Foreign-born US Citizen who apply for Language Analyst positions. The fact is you are native in 1 or 2 critical languages, that makes you automatically have family members in a foreign country. So that perfectly makes sense.
The_Other_Applicant  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2019 6:30:30 AM(UTC)
The_Other_Applicant

@ Dingo1, Congrats on passing the Poly, at least you got 1 down. I wish I had info about psych eval. Keep it up, you will have your psych soon.
clearancedude101  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2019 7:48:57 AM(UTC)
clearancedude101

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I interviewed in Jan 2018, CJO/SF86 in Feb 18, met with investigator in April, and nothing since.

A friend of mine got his CJO in Oct 17 and just barely had his poly and psyche about 3 months ago
The_Other_Applicant  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2019 8:11:06 AM(UTC)
The_Other_Applicant

@ clearancedude101, that is exactly what I mean, we are here for the long-run. It's also a relief for other LA applicants to see that a CJO of Oct 2017, had his poly/psche in July 2019. Someone on this forum said, " Find a job, get married, have kids, enjoy your life..." While you wait for NSA! that's exactly the case with LA, that's what I will do. :)
That Applicant  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 10:02:27 AM(UTC)
That Applicant

United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Nice username. It's actually kind of amazing just how bad the timeline is for Language Analysts. I've been keeping track of people on the 2019 timeline thread as you may have seen and very few language analysts are at the poly stage.

If you're looking to find more specifics, I recommend that you take a look at posts from the following people who have said that they are going for Language Analyst positions:
🔹 Aaavery22
🔹 LDomino
🔹 clearancedude101
🔹 Taylor Swift
thanks 1 user thanked That Applicant for this useful post.
The_Other_Applicant on 10/9/2019(UTC)
The_Other_Applicant  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 7:09:46 PM(UTC)
The_Other_Applicant

@ That Applicant, thanks. I think I saw your username and I was like, I could be the_other_applicant. And if you think of Language Analysts (LAs), we are actually "the other applicant" since the normal time-line (for lack of better term ) that apply to all other positions at NSA does not apply to LAs, so We are the_other_applicant.
yes, I did go over the NSA "Hiring timeline 2019" thread and it seems light years in length, that's why I thought of going with a new thread for LAs info and timeline.
By the time I hear back from NSA, I would be married, and already have my first kid,

Thanks. That is a big help, I will definitely look at those poor LA souls,
LDomino  
#11 Posted : Thursday, October 10, 2019 7:10:20 AM(UTC)
LDomino

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hi all,

Saw that my name popped up in this thread so just wanted to join the conversation. I am the originator of the "get a job, get married, have kids, and wait" phrase, though it was actually told to me by someone in the community who knew what LA applicants have to put up with. I myself started the process in January 2017, got a CJO in April 2017, BI interview in June 2017, and then heard nothing for two years. Just had my security interview, polygraph, and psych testing this past July 2019. That would seem to be close to the end of the process, but from what I have come to understand is what step you are on has seemingly no bearing on how much longer you have to wait for a decision. Case in point, I know someone who did all the steps I just described and then waited an additional four years before getting a formal denial. That person appealed two years ago and is presumably still awaiting a final decision. Total processing time: seven years and counting. On the other hand, I know of LA candidates who went from start to finish in 18 months, for no discernible reason.

I am sure that there is a labyrinthine decision tree that controls our paths through the process, but from our end it is simply a black box with no minimum or maximum timeline.

thanks 1 user thanked LDomino for this useful post.
The_Other_Applicant on 10/10/2019(UTC)
The_Other_Applicant  
#12 Posted : Thursday, October 10, 2019 7:46:01 AM(UTC)
The_Other_Applicant

@ LDomino, thanks for the original "get a job, get married...", it perfectly reflects LA applicants process here. Also thank you very much for your detailed timeline info, that will help most LA applicants here get a real sense of what is to expect. As far for myself, I applied Jan 2018, and as of today Oct 2019, haven't had anything, no poly, no psych, no BI...
Submitted SF Sept 2018, so it has been 13 months, and nothing.
clearancedude101  
#13 Posted : Thursday, October 10, 2019 8:22:34 AM(UTC)
clearancedude101

United States

Originally Posted by: LDomino Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

Saw that my name popped up in this thread so just wanted to join the conversation. I am the originator of the "get a job, get married, have kids, and wait" phrase, though it was actually told to me by someone in the community who knew what LA applicants have to put up with. I myself started the process in January 2017, got a CJO in April 2017, BI interview in June 2017, and then heard nothing for two years. Just had my security interview, polygraph, and psych testing this past July 2019. That would seem to be close to the end of the process, but from what I have come to understand is what step you are on has seemingly no bearing on how much longer you have to wait for a decision. Case in point, I know someone who did all the steps I just described and then waited an additional four years before getting a formal denial. That person appealed two years ago and is presumably still awaiting a final decision. Total processing time: seven years and counting. On the other hand, I know of LA candidates who went from start to finish in 18 months, for no discernible reason.

I am sure that there is a labyrinthine decision tree that controls our paths through the process, but from our end it is simply a black box with no minimum or maximum timeline.

So the real question is as a linguist, outside of teaching jobs, what other jobs in that field are there to take? Other analyst positions require an active TS, so there's no point in applying to those. Any leads on open source analyst jobs that don't require clearances?
thanks 1 user thanked clearancedude101 for this useful post.
The_Other_Applicant on 10/13/2019(UTC)
The_Other_Applicant  
#14 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2019 4:40:28 AM(UTC)
The_Other_Applicant

Well I believe there is always the contracting linguist job, mostly overseas. those jobs might not cover all the critical languages, but it's an option. There aren't lots of those jobs, but still, you can try. I know for sure, any type of clearance will greatly help, and I mean any. Even plain secret clearance, which in the world of IC is the basic and entry level, could still get you good jobs with contractors.
Jacques84  
#15 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2019 9:00:00 AM(UTC)
Jacques84

Great idea starting this thread! After a while you get tired of seeing the other folks breeze through the process.

I posted my timeline a ways back but just to update, I submitted my 86 in 1/2019. Since then radio silence. No BI no additional questions.

I’ve been hovering on the margins of the DoD language community for most of my career, and frankly language people have a tough break. Unless they went to DLI and never spent more than a month or so overseas in non-EU locales on non-USG business.

I have one former colleague that is hanging around year 5-6 in his clearance.

I have a previous SSBI. Got an offer from another agency almost 10 years back. A year later they stopped because it was taking too long. Then I transferred everything to a contractor. 3 years later got laid off, no poly, no psych. Everything stopped there.

Lesson? If you’re a language person, this is not a process to be “actively” thinking about and don’t ever try to plan around it!

Edited by user Friday, October 18, 2019 9:01:44 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Jacques84 for this useful post.
The_Other_Applicant on 10/20/2019(UTC)
valentinetx  
#16 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2019 9:45:09 AM(UTC)
valentinetx

United States

I was literally coming back on to this forum to post my own thread/question regarding this!

My situation is a tiny bit different. I am currently a college student, and I applied for the internship for the LA position. I have absolutely no foreign travel experience or foreign relatives -- this is not a native language of mine, but rather a second language that I have intermediate fluency in and study intensely. I want to score this job after college very badly so the internship seems like an amazing opportunity. I applied September 10th, the deadline was October 15th for applications (2 days ago) so I am just hoping that it's just a slow process which is why there has been radio silence thus far. I am just kind of wondering also if the process will still be as slow in my case because the internship is for next summer, so there's a bit of a tight time limit to the whole process.

Unfortunately though I don't have a "recruiter" or person to talk to about the hiring process at all, I am having a hard time figuring out how to find someone to direct any inquiries I have about the position. I have been offered the potential for a full ride to a month long study abroad trip in the country where my language is prevalent by my professor, as a backup plan if I do not get the internship. But knowing the issues about relations with the country I am studying, and knowing that it slows down the process exponentially, should I give that a wide berth? I really would love to do it just personally speaking, because it sounds like a really good opportunity for immersion. But I do not want to put my chances at stake. It's a really hard choice. But I am assuming that I should probably avoid it?

Edited by user Friday, October 18, 2019 9:47:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jacques84  
#17 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2019 9:48:56 AM(UTC)
Jacques84

Originally Posted by: clearancedude101 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

So the real question is as a linguist, outside of teaching jobs, what other jobs in that field are there to take? Other analyst positions require an active TS, so there's no point in applying to those. Any leads on open source analyst jobs that don't require clearances?

If you have strong contacts that work with your language in the USG contracting community definitely keep in touch with them. A large open source contract just dropped in N. VA that even allowed remote work. God I wish I got on that one!

Also don’t be shy about applying to positions that don’t explicitly state you must have a CURRENT clearance. Some of these places either can clear you, or give you uncleared stuff until you have one. Those are few and far between, but making sure the language recruiters know who you are might help when an open source spot opens up.

Other than that, if your education/experience is not specific to your language, perhaps getting a job in that field while you wait? DC area NGOs are always a good bet if you have limited financial obligations.

The BIG issue that I’m always batting around is whether or not to head overseas. On the one hand that’s where jobs with regional/linguistic requirements tend to be. On the other, it will almost invariably mess with the clearance process.
LDomino  
#18 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2019 12:16:10 PM(UTC)
LDomino

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jacques84 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

If you have strong contacts that work with your language in the USG contracting community definitely keep in touch with them. A large open source contract just dropped in N. VA that even allowed remote work. God I wish I got on that one!

Also don’t be shy about applying to positions that don’t explicitly state you must have a CURRENT clearance. Some of these places either can clear you, or give you uncleared stuff until you have one. Those are few and far between, but making sure the language recruiters know who you are might help when an open source spot opens up.

Other than that, if your education/experience is not specific to your language, perhaps getting a job in that field while you wait? DC area NGOs are always a good bet if you have limited financial obligations.

The BIG issue that I’m always batting around is whether or not to head overseas. On the one hand that’s where jobs with regional/linguistic requirements tend to be. On the other, it will almost invariably mess with the clearance process.

I personally think that the language analyst game is going to a be a dead end street for most applicants and would not generally recommend "doubling down" on the career path if you have a viable alternative. Clearance wait times are exceptionally long, and getting a chance to get cleared with a contractor is the same game but with even longer timelines due to a processing emphasis on staff applicants. If I could go back in time, I would absolutely not have spent so much time learning my foreign language and would instead invest in a career with greater marketability, such as computer programming or cyber security. As they say, the best time to plant a tree was ten years ago, but the second best time is now. In either case, I personally think of my clearance application as a sort of random lottery ticket that I may or may not win at some point in future; it isn't something I bank on to keep my bills paid. Repeat a mantra of "all hopes abandon, ye who enter here" and make alternative life plans. Worst case, you find a new growth path and can face a future denial or rejection with a better balance of options.
thanks 2 users thanked LDomino for this useful post.
Jacques84 on 10/18/2019(UTC), The_Other_Applicant on 10/19/2019(UTC)
clearancedude101  
#19 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2019 1:08:29 PM(UTC)
clearancedude101

United States

Hi all,

I applied to the company that won the portion of that contract that covers my language and still haven't heard anything, but I have some hope.
thanks 1 user thanked clearancedude101 for this useful post.
The_Other_Applicant on 10/29/2019(UTC)
clearancedude101  
#20 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2019 1:09:37 PM(UTC)
clearancedude101

United States

Hi all,

I personally think that the language analyst game is going to a be a dead end street for most applicants

Why? I would imagine that a majority of applicants get a final clearance.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed