Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LDomino  
#21 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2019 3:49:08 PM(UTC)
LDomino

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: clearancedude101 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: LDomino Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Jacques84 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: clearancedude101 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: LDomino Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

Saw that my name popped up in this thread so just wanted to join the conversation. I am the originator of the "get a job, get married, have kids, and wait" phrase, though it was actually told to me by someone in the community who knew what LA applicants have to put up with. I myself started the process in January 2017, got a CJO in April 2017, BI interview in June 2017, and then heard nothing for two years. Just had my security interview, polygraph, and psych testing this past July 2019. That would seem to be close to the end of the process, but from what I have come to understand is what step you are on has seemingly no bearing on how much longer you have to wait for a decision. Case in point, I know someone who did all the steps I just described and then waited an additional four years before getting a formal denial. That person appealed two years ago and is presumably still awaiting a final decision. Total processing time: seven years and counting. On the other hand, I know of LA candidates who went from start to finish in 18 months, for no discernible reason.

I am sure that there is a labyrinthine decision tree that controls our paths through the process, but from our end it is simply a black box with no minimum or maximum timeline.

So the real question is as a linguist, outside of teaching jobs, what other jobs in that field are there to take? Other analyst positions require an active TS, so there's no point in applying to those. Any leads on open source analyst jobs that don't require clearances?

If you have strong contacts that work with your language in the USG contracting community definitely keep in touch with them. A large open source contract just dropped in N. VA that even allowed remote work. God I wish I got on that one!

Also don’t be shy about applying to positions that don’t explicitly state you must have a CURRENT clearance. Some of these places either can clear you, or give you uncleared stuff until you have one. Those are few and far between, but making sure the language recruiters know who you are might help when an open source spot opens up.

Other than that, if your education/experience is not specific to your language, perhaps getting a job in that field while you wait? DC area NGOs are always a good bet if you have limited financial obligations.

The BIG issue that I’m always batting around is whether or not to head overseas. On the one hand that’s where jobs with regional/linguistic requirements tend to be. On the other, it will almost invariably mess with the clearance process.

I personally think that the language analyst game is going to a be a dead end street for most applicants

Why? I would imagine that a majority of applicants get a final clearance.

I believe the opposite is true. NSA is known for handing out a fairly large number of CJOs at the mass hiring events with the understanding that most won't make it thru security. Language folks are at a distinct disadvantage due to pretty severe job marketability in the private sector. Hence my don't double down if you have an alternative skill comment.
The_Other_Applicant  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2019 4:38:06 PM(UTC)
The_Other_Applicant

Groups: Registered

@ Jacques84

Thanks for the valuable info.

Do you know what's the name of that new contract in N.VA you mentioned?

Thanks.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed