Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Burnerr  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2019 9:56:53 AM(UTC)
Burnerr

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Any reason for there being no CI career field on the DIA website? I feel that makes it difficult for people interested in the career field to gather info about it..
someoldguy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 12:17:07 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 908 time(s) in 761 post(s)
I guess they designed that new web page with the nice 3x3 grid of career fields and had to leave something out to preserve the Feng Shui.

I had to check it out for myself, sure enough there's no CI. But it does say the next hiring event will be announced in Feb 2020.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
Burnerr  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 12:41:00 PM(UTC)
Burnerr

United States

Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post
I guess they designed that new web page with the nice 3x3 grid of career fields and had to leave something out to preserve the Feng Shui.

I had to check it out for myself, sure enough there's no CI. But it does say the next hiring event will be announced in Feb 2020.

Interestingly enough, CI was also left out at the most recent hiring event...I wonder if that'll become a re-occurring trend
someoldguy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 1:38:12 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Originally Posted by: Burnerr Go to Quoted Post
Interestingly enough, CI was also left out at the most recent hiring event...I wonder if that'll become a re-occurring trend
The career fields for any given hiring event do vary somewhat... Analysis and Mission Management always seem to be included, while the rest are a bit of a mixed bag.

I was wondering if DIA would be giving up some of its CI responsibilities to the new Defense Security & Counterintelligence Agency (or is it Counterintelligence & Security), the result of the combination of DSS and the background investigation arm of OPM. But I have not seen anything to this effect.

Yes, it is Defense Counterintelligence & Security Agency

Edited by user Wednesday, October 9, 2019 1:49:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Added link to DCSA web site

Burnerr  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 3:02:43 PM(UTC)
Burnerr

United States

Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post
The career fields for any given hiring event do vary somewhat... Analysis and Mission Management always seem to be included, while the rest are a bit of a mixed bag.

I was wondering if DIA would be giving up some of its CI responsibilities to the new Defense Security & Counterintelligence Agency (or is it Counterintelligence & Security), the result of the combination of DSS and the background investigation arm of OPM. But I have not seen anything to this effect.

Yes, it is Defense Counterintelligence & Security Agency

Comparatively, I do have some questions on how the two may overlap. Just PM'd you
buckaneers  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 7:57:59 PM(UTC)
buckaneers

United States

Was thanked: 265 time(s) in 194 post(s)
It's interesting, especially since CI is still listed as a specialty within the Analysis Career Field and a still active 2014 article publicly acknowledged that DIA carried out all five functions of CI:

"Today, the Defense Intelligence Agency serves as the functional manager for the Department of Defense’s counterintelligence enterprise to identify and neutralize foreign intelligence threats. DIA conducts internal investigative activities designed to identify, disrupt and defeat intelligence threats to DIA; defensive activities to increase the counterintelligence posture of DIA; and counterintelligence collection in cyberspace and offensive operations. DIA also performs strategic counterintelligence analysis to synchronize and synthesize information collected from all threat streams in order to enable the enterprise to conduct more comprehensive CI activities."

My guess is that some GS15 was feeling spooky/important and successfully argued against listing it, although clandestine HUMINT is still there? *shrugs*

I'm not sure that DCSA gobbled up DIA's CI elements or any of the other DoD CI elements, from my understanding it's still pretty contractor/personnel clearance-focused despite the name.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 9, 2019 7:59:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Burnerr  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 10, 2019 4:08:59 AM(UTC)
Burnerr

United States

Originally Posted by: buckaneers Go to Quoted Post
It's interesting, especially since CI is still listed as a specialty within the Analysis Career Field and a still active 2014 article publicly acknowledged that DIA carried out all five functions of CI:

"Today, the Defense Intelligence Agency serves as the functional manager for the Department of Defense’s counterintelligence enterprise to identify and neutralize foreign intelligence threats. DIA conducts internal investigative activities designed to identify, disrupt and defeat intelligence threats to DIA; defensive activities to increase the counterintelligence posture of DIA; and counterintelligence collection in cyberspace and offensive operations. DIA also performs strategic counterintelligence analysis to synchronize and synthesize information collected from all threat streams in order to enable the enterprise to conduct more comprehensive CI activities."

My guess is that some GS15 was feeling spooky/important and successfully argued against listing it, although clandestine HUMINT is still there? *shrugs*

I'm not sure that DCSA gobbled up DIA's CI elements or any of the other DoD CI elements, from my understanding it's still pretty contractor/personnel clearance-focused despite the name.

My initial thought also was that somebody thought it would be a good idea to be more "hush hush" about the career field given it's discretionary nature, but the fact that DCS has it's own section under HUMINT would go against that idea. Perhaps they're still developing the career field after the various phases it has been through (i.e. CIFA, DCHC)
Burnerr  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2019 8:44:27 AM(UTC)
Burnerr

United States

A noteworthy addition: the DIA jobs site just posted an announcement for CI Officer at the GG-12 grade. The description includes, "Applicants should be aware that this position has been identified as one that will be transferring permanently out of DIA, to the Defense Security Service (DSS) possibly as soon as FY2020." The theory that CI jobs may be moving to the DSS is looking to be more of a reality.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 16, 2019 9:12:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Burnerr for this useful post.
someoldguy on 10/16/2019(UTC)
velcroTech  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2019 10:14:07 AM(UTC)
velcroTech

Cayman Islands

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 25 post(s)
A noteworthy addition: the DIA jobs site just posted an announcement for CI Officer at the GG-12 grade. The description includes, "Applicants should be aware that this position has been identified as one that will be transferring permanently out of DIA, to the Defense Security Service (DSS) possibly as soon as FY2020." The theory that CI jobs may be moving to the DSS is looking to be more of a reality.

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet." - Billy S.
someoldguy  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2019 12:12:28 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

AHA!!! I was RIGHT!!! You saw it here first.

Note that as of 1 Oct there is no more DSS, it has been folded into the new Defense Counterintelligence and Security Agency (DSCA). And just to be clear, I had absolutely no inside info on this. Further, as I gaze into my crystal ball, I do not see this happening in FY20... or 21. I'd say not in 22 either but my crystal ball is only calibrated to mid-2021.

Also, I doubt that 100% of the CI organization will move from DIA to DCSA. But I suspect that it will be a fairly significant portion that moves. I'll have to go examine that job posting for any further clues.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 16, 2019 12:23:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Incorporating comments from fifth level review

Burnerr  
#11 Posted : Sunday, November 10, 2019 11:05:46 AM(UTC)
Burnerr

United States

A fun update that may not be news to anyone, but I found relevant to the discussion so I'm posting anyway:

The fantastic Wayback Machine provides some insight on the recent history of the CI career field and it's drifting away from the DIA website. As of January 5th, 2018, CI had its own section under the Mission Area's dropdown of the DIA website: https://web.archive.org/...reas/Counterintelligence

By or around October 7th 2018, the DIA website meshed Analysis and CI together, creating the CI and Transnational Analysis career specialty: https://web.archive.org/...and-counterintelligence/

And today, as mentioned previously, we only have CI and Transnational appearing under the "Analysis" career field category, with no mention of CI in the actual career field, but rather only the career specialty.

If anyone finds out anything new, feel free to add on!

Edited by user Monday, November 11, 2019 6:18:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed